BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #23
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

I saw a black e90 sedan yesterday on El Camino Real in Sunnyvale. Waved and he and his passenger waved back. Friday afternoon in Palo Alto another E93 cab owner waved and I waved back. So I guess so far my experiences have been pretty positive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Maybe it's where I'm at (I've always heard people say that people in the MidWest are friendly, I dunno guess I'm just use to it) but I don't think I've run into a dick BMW or M driver yet.

Don't get me wrong, I've run into plenty of normal dicks but BMW and M drivers here are pretty awesome.

Usually if I come across a BMW it's either a head nod, friendly game of cat and mouse, or a tip of the had. I've only run into ///M drivers a handful of times, and usually not going the same way but it's usually an engine rev to get the other's attention followed by a head nod.

Actually ran into a SSII E92 a while back and we had a nice chat while driving down the road (two lanes both ways) a ways. Don't worry the speed limit was only 35 and it was pretty straight road for quite a ways. But that was pretty cool since I'd never met the guy before but we obiviously instantly had something in common to talk about.
      07-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #25
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

If I see another M3................I just try to pick a race with them. HAHA!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #26
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I was teased today in one Lane Street by two hot blonds driving Aston Martin Vantage convertible....Sad enough I was in the xi not the M....Back to the subject only one time a nice guy driving M cp followed me to the supermarket parking lot to look at my car and show me his modifications ....otherwise no one cares...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #27
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
If I see another M3................I just try to pick a race with them. HAHA!
haha +1. Idk if it's just me, but not too many people wanna mess with you in the m3. before i got it a lot of people tried to race my friends with the e46, or my friend in the srt8. Oh well, i win!

but i just brought up this question because i always like to wave and look out for M's, I'm very into my car, as most of us are on here and very aware... and sometimes there are the few that don't even bother talking to you or even looking.

A few off this forum. but i wont mention names, lol.

maybe bc i look a little younger? who knows.

but if its an older guy then i totally understand lol i saw a 70 year old couple in a vert a few months back!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #28
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Nawaaz, I'd take you on buddy, haha... you'll need to ship your car over to Australia first though! :P
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I always usually give a nod, a beep, or a blinker to any M driver I pass by. The only times I don't notice is when I'm in the zone with driving or sun glare blocks my field of vision. Other than that I try to break the stereotype of a typical BMW driver. I realized that once I step out of the car, I become a normal person doing about with my affairs. Why should a car change my personality?
      07-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #30
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I always usually give a nod, a beep, or a blinker to any M driver I pass by. The only times I don't notice is when I'm in the zone with driving or sun glare blocks my field of vision. Other than that I try to break the stereotype of a typical BMW driver. I realized that once I step out of the car, I become a normal person doing about with my affairs. Why should a car change my personality?
BMW ///M Powers. Don't try to fight back! Its natural and and and the best ever!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #31
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

If I see another M, any type of M for that matter (new and old), I aways nod. Though most times they don't see me cause my windows are too dark. lol

Though I've found that older M3 drivers don't like to nod back
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
i always give a thumbs up to all m series but i noticed alot of e46 guys will just keep going on their way.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #33
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I've had a few young blokes (teenagers) come up and say "Beaut M3" and "Awesome M3" etc. Though they were going to mug me actually!

Was cruising next to an AMG C63, the natural enemy of the M3, yesterday. We just exchanged the obligatory nod.

We don't see many E9x M3s around here yet, but when you do pass one it's like two Great White sharks passing by in the ocean - we nod in the smug knowledge that we're Kings of the ocean
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #34
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

i'm finally pickin up my M tonight!!!....but...driving my trusty honda accord for the past 2 years...I would always give thumbs up and honk at M cars....most people would look at me funny....but most always gave a nod or thumbs up back...as I guess they figured I was a BMW enthusiast. Tonight...i'll join the club!!!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
i'm finally pickin up my M tonight!!!....but...driving my trusty honda accord for the past 2 years...I would always give thumbs up and honk at M cars....most people would look at me funny....but most always gave a nod or thumbs up back...as I guess they figured I was a BMW enthusiast. Tonight...i'll join the club!!!
That sounds awesome man!!

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #36
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

My observation:
Porsche drivers acknowledge each other more than BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #37
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeor View Post
haha +1. Idk if it's just me, but not too many people wanna mess with you in the m3. before i got it a lot of people tried to race my friends with the e46, or my friend in the srt8. Oh well, i win!

but i just brought up this question because i always like to wave and look out for M's, I'm very into my car, as most of us are on here and very aware... and sometimes there are the few that don't even bother talking to you or even looking.

A few off this forum. but i wont mention names, lol.

maybe bc i look a little younger? who knows.

but if its an older guy then i totally understand lol i saw a 70 year old couple in a vert a few months back!
The M3 doesn't have that "street racer" look, that's probably why. or maybe some are just too intimidated.

If I see another M3, I definitely make it a point to let them know that I saw them.....And sometimes it's by blowing past them when they're completely unaware.....hehe.....I'm very notty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Nawaaz, I'd take you on buddy, haha... you'll need to ship your car over to Australia first though! :P
You're on! hahahehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
I've had a few young blokes (teenagers) come up and say "Beaut M3" and "Awesome M3" etc. Though they were going to mug me actually!

Was cruising next to an AMG C63, the natural enemy of the M3, yesterday. We just exchanged the obligatory nod.

We don't see many E9x M3s around here yet, but when you do pass one it's like two Great White sharks passing by in the ocean - we nod in the smug knowledge that we're Kings of the ocean
Brilliantly said! I love your "shark" example. It creates a beautiful picture in my mind. hahahehe
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

As a student of sociology and human behavior, I've always been a fascinated student of the "wave" phenomenon when passing a driver of the same or similar make. Having owned more than 50 cars in my adult-hood, there are very significant differences.

With some makes, the wave has become a tradition, which is passed on from generation to generation. The lowly Jeep Wrangler has a strong waving tradition, and I still own an old '98 Wrangler, in which the wave rate from drivers of similar Wranglers is above 80%

The Corvette is another model with a strong "wave culture." Corvette owners tend to wave at each other regardless of the generation, either of the person or the car. It's been going on for well over 50 years.

Having owned 8 BMWs, they are near the bottom of the list. For whatever reason, the BMW culture never quite picked up the tradition. The vast majority of BMW drivers seem to be rather oblivous of other cars on the road (in more ways than one). In the early days of the new Mini (2001), waving was nearly universal, but today with so many on the roads, it is almost non-existent.

That's my dissertation on the subject.
      07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #39
tmaung
CCA Member#: 439255
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

So far, I must say, M3 owners are really nice. I saw an E46 M3 on the road and the girl driving it rolled down her windows and gave me a compliments on my Fox Red seats. At first she thought it was the brown color like the one in her car but I had to correct her in a friendly way. Then we had a little fun on the road for the next couple of lights and waved each other goodbye.

Another day, I saw an E92 red M3 waiting at the light in the opposite direction. Neither of us have tinted windows so I can see her staring at my car as I am staring at hers. As the light turns green and we both passed beside one another, I gave her a nod and she gave me a wave.

However, I see people coming up in other fast cars at the light and rev up next to me. When there is no traffic in front of me, I'll play with them and I have not lost a single time :P.
      07-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #40
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvez View Post
That sounds awesome man!!

Congrats!
thx! i'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #41
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
As a student of sociology and human behavior, I've always been a fascinated student of the "wave" phenomenon when passing a driver of the same or similar make. Having owned more than 50 cars in my adult-hood, there are very significant differences.

With some makes, the wave has become a tradition, which is passed on from generation to generation. The lowly Jeep Wrangler has a strong waving tradition, and I still own an old '98 Wrangler, in which the wave rate from drivers of similar Wranglers is above 80%

The Corvette is another model with a strong "wave culture." Corvette owners tend to wave at each other regardless of the generation, either of the person or the car. It's been going on for well over 50 years.

Having owned 8 BMWs, they are near the bottom of the list. For whatever reason, the BMW culture never quite picked up the tradition. The vast majority of BMW drivers seem to be rather oblivous of other cars on the road (in more ways than one). In the early days of the new Mini (2001), waving was nearly universal, but today with so many on the roads, it is almost non-existent.

That's my dissertation on the subject.
Nice point.

The more rare the car is, the more motivating and exciting it is to catch the other persons attention by a wave or a sign (that is if the rare car is very significant in its performance or make or region).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #42
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Yes, and I neglected to mention that my 2005 Lotus Elise is the all time champion of waves and thumbs-ups. The ratio is about 2-3 waves/mile. It's also produced a number of cases of whiplash.
      07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
Jpete41996
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
I've experienced the same, coldness from M drivers.

Totally opposite of motorcycle riders. With motorbikes, regardless of make, 90 percent of the people give you a nice wave. Real camaraderie.
+ 1 on that...i see it allot in germany...from german riders and american riders (military)
      07-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #44
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Yes, and I neglected to mention that my 2005 Lotus Elise is the all time champion of waves and thumbs-ups. The ratio is about 2-3 waves/mile. It's also produced a number of cases of whiplash.
Oh yeah, that Elise will really catch everyone's attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpete41996 View Post
+ 1 on that...i see it allot in germany...from german riders and american riders (military)
Is it just me or does BMW attract more serious, business type clients? I know that the M3 is almost totally different compared to a regular BMW, but I would assume that a lot of M3 owners would just be too serious and more reserved.

I'm actually very immature.
Appreciate 0