BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Headlight help! Moisture issue.

Hey,

So I'm having some issues with my headlight and moisture / condensation. Every time after I wash my car my passenger side headlight will fog up after I go for a drive. I originally thought it was a seal issue. I said no worries, I'll send out my head lights to be built by Oneighty and they will reseal them. Sent them out and got them back and they look amazing. I thought all was good. About 2 months after having them back from Oneighty they start fogging up again however it wasn't consistent. Fast forward a couple more months later to now and my headlight fogs up on command after a wash or heavy rain. I e-mailed Oneighty about the issue since they offer 1 year warranty and they took my headlight to be inspected and re-sealed. I got it back from them and the issue still persists.

I've searched around and have done some attempts to fix it. I got it re-sealed, still happens. Another thing I was told to do was to leave the cap above the headlight off over night and leave it to dry. I washed my car last week and its been in my garage ever since. I kept the headlight tab off the entire time. Last night I went out with the M3 and the headlight was still fogging up.

Does anyone have any further solutions? It's driving me so crazy when I go to shows or just go on a cruise and my headlight is foggy. It just ruins the car. Is there a way to test the housing for any light hair cracks? Smoke test? I'm running out of options and I really don't want to drop $1k on a new headlight and then send it to be built by oneighty for more money.
      09-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I have oneighty headlights and I can tell you its not the headlight if you got it resealed again. Stock headlights have 2 vent holes to regulate the temperature. On the fender lining there's a hatch. Water can get through them. I would recheck everything there and where the undercarriage felts are.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
I have oneighty headlights and I can tell you its not the headlight if you got it resealed again. Stock headlights have 2 vent holes to regulate the temperature. On the fender lining there's a hatch. Water can get through them. I would recheck everything there and where the undercarriage felts are.
Thanks. I know one of the tabs are broken on the fender liner hatch but I didn't think it would cause this big of an issue. I'll recheck the entire fender liner later today.

I'd also like to point out this thread isn't to bash Oneighty. They make beautiful headlights and I would use them again in the future. Customer service was great too.
      09-15-2018, 12:58 AM   #4
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
Quote:
Thanks. I know one of the tabs are broken on the fender liner hatch but I didn't think it would cause this big of an issue. I'll recheck the entire fender liner later today.

I'd also like to point out this thread isn't to bash Oneighty. They make beautiful headlights and I would use them again in the future. Customer service was great too.
Is the top little access window closed properly? I had the same issue because I didn't close the little window to access our angel eyes bulb properly
      09-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Yep, a proper high pressure wash over this hatch casure moisture everytime, in my case more so on the passanger side. Going easy with the water helps plenty. If still moisture, open the the top hatch for a while sorts it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

toss a bunch of those silica gels in, run a space heater a couple feet away from the light and elevated for a little while, and if all else fails make a hole at the top of the housing(not the lens) with a soldering iron(this will vent condensation out of the light.)
Appreciate 0