BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Macan owners - Tell me what you like about it

We have two young kids and the family beater F34 335xi is getting old, we're looking at maybe possibly replacing with a Macan GTS or Turbo

Talk to me about life in the real world with one of these tall hatchback things, what's gone wrong, what's annoying when hauling kids, yada
      07-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

excellent suv in terms of looks, handling, performance, its just a little on the smaller side.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Warriors8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have one, nonexistent steering feel, sound is lacking. Interior quality about on par with a 3 series BMW. If I were to do it all over again, I'd get the new GLC63 AMG. Unfortunately the GLC63 wasn't released yet in 2017 . Reliable little boring thing it is though, I have to give it that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

We recently added a X3 M40i. We looked at couple of options including Macan which we decided was too small. X3 has a lot more room in the back and overall a more comfy car. It still performs well- doesn't handle like an M3 but still a lot of fun for a SUV.

I considered GLC63 as well but was worried about Mercedes reliability. GLC is the least reliable MB per recent report (J.D. Power I think?). Also a C class interior in a $80K car...no thanks.

I think X3 M40i hits the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If we get a merc it'll be probably one of the many 5.5l E63's popping up off lease right now. She doesn't like their SUV's. Still holding out hope on one of those coming up in the right spec/mileage at the right time locally, because if we're going to have 5 seats, why not also have 500hp, 100hp/seat, it divides nicely

The Sport Turismo is just a little too tight in the center seat, and too new to buy for half-off off-lease

The xbimmers are out, for now. THe problem with all of the compact SUV's is the F34 rear legroom so big, and the hatchback so convenient that the kid-hauling factor really isn't any better especially after the youngest is front facing it's limo-like back there. But the F34 also handles like a limo. The Macan is different enough, and low/wide/cool looking enough particularly inside with that porsche corporate cockpit setup from her past bimmers to have piqued her interest. Oh well. Maybe by the time we make up our minds the F90 will be coming off lease and they'll be flooding the market
      03-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I had Macan and changed to 18 x5. I wont go over in terms of power because macan was only 4cyl.
It is much small so its more fun and nimble, I honestly think base macan 240hp is enough for daily drive but in terms of comfort and size and tech, X5 hands down.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Parents have a Macan GTS.

Coming from the first gen M-DCT, the V6 revs so quickly and the PDK is almost too perfect. Car is quick through first and second, but dies off at third, 60-100 leaves a lot to be desired. EDC / adaptive suspension is really noticeable, and gives the car a good dual character.

Like others, the steering is great but numb / uncommunicative. The ratio / speed of the rack feels good, turn in is good. While the car isn't very confidence inspiring, continuing to push it has demonstrated to me that the car can corner very hard, probably almost as well as the E9x. A test drive probably won't reveal this though. I'm basing this on the fact that the E70 X5M posts similar times to the E92 M3 on longer tracks.

I believe from a driving perspective, it's absolutely the best car in the segment. Interested to see how the new X3M is, but for now, it can't be beat.

As far as livability, other posters are right. Rear seat isn't great. Adults usually have to slouch over for headroom, and you'll dig into the door cards and handles if three people sit in the back seat. I wouldn't want to be back there for more than a couple hours. Cargo space is better than I expected, and the front seats are a great place to be. I disagree with the sentiment that interior quality is on par with 3 series. It's much better, BMWs have always had spartan interiors prior to the F8x. The interior will age very well, good design language, good infotainment.

I think it'd be a great car for around-town duties. I've noticed that most parents overestimate what they'll do with their car and what they'll need it for, so I think the Macan is a good balance of a fun car for you and a good car for the kids until they are late teens.

As far as trims go, I believe the only Macans to buy are the S and Turbo. The I4 seems like it would be underpowered and underwhelming. The GTS is just the S with options, same 3.0 V6. Porsche is notorious for having a 5 figure list of options needed, so by the time you option the GTS to a good spec, the 3.8 V6 Turbo seems to make more sense. It'll come with additional options standard as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by so0fresh View Post
excellent suv in terms of looks, handling, performance, its just a little on the smaller side.
100%. Love ours, a 2016 turbo. My wife loves it.

Excellent handling and ride comfort, much better than anything else we tested including the x5m which didn’t compare at all

Pdk is also impossibly smooth and fast.

It is small, but if you can deal with that it’s the best suv on the market imo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've instructed with it (long story). Pretty good for a SUV, I would probably still take a X3 m40 instead of it based on the last test I had.

Driving good for an SUV is like 'sounding good for a turbo'. Or being a tall midget, you get where I'm going

It is extremely small inside and dated, but I give the 'dated' look little importance anyway

As a side note, of all the Porsche I've driven this is my favorite
Appreciate 0