BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

EXXEL Distributions

08-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Where to track your M3 in Europe?

Hey Guys! Hallo einander! Salut à tous! Ciao! Ola!

So, as you (might) know, here in the US we have lots of ways to get on the track with our M3s, not the least being the events organized by the BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA).

I was wondering what the options in Europe are and how much it usually costs you per event (of course excluding the well known Ring...).

Looking forward to reading from you all Europeans....

Last edited by MTROIS; 08-21-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Uhm, well...
Nurburgring of course. 22 euro a lap or the Grand Prix track 30 euro for 20 minutes. Which results normally in 2 minutes per lap on GP track. The Nurburgring North loop is 22Km long. All of that is in Germany. As well as hockenheim ring near mannheim, Germany. SPA near Belgium and other tracks in netherlands.

England has many many tracks...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

As Donovan mentioned, the Ring (Nordschleife esp) is the jewel in the crown (I am planning to be there first weekend in October incidentally). Outside Germany, you can find opportunities to drive on most circuits - I have done Spa-Francochamps with a Porsche club; in the rain, a very tricky track, but the downhill section past the old pits and up to "eau Rouge" is a unique experience -- nothing like it anywhere in the world. The key sections of Spa can also be experienced as a public road but since traffic is both ways, you won't be able to take the racing line!

In France you can find a directory of tracks and events on http://www.pilotedudimanche.net/ (literally "sunday driver"!). There are frequent events at the circuit at Mans (self-drive but also you can rent prepped cars). Very nice track with lots of run off (gravel). There is also an amazing pro-level karting track nearby. You can also drive some sections of the public road portion of the circuit -- including Hunaudières, the long straight (also called the Mulsanne because of the turn at the end), that used to see 240mph+ runs by the P-917s.

There are a couple of smaller tracks near Paris and there are small companies that run weekend self-drive events. I am partial to just one because the people they register tend to be calmer than others, so less chance to have stupidity on the track. Rules are slightly different to the US but they always have a driver's meeting to start off. Some nice cars usually show up - had some Atoms the last time...freakin unbelievable acceleration and grip.

Zolder in NLs is a decent track too -- its been several years since I was there but they had friday at the track kind of events back then.

And if you can get to the Isle of Man...that is a whole island worth of track basically.
      08-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

BMW Clubs and Porsche clubs hold track events just about everywhere. Also lots of private party companies that host track days. some with instruction and some not. Then you have the manufacturers that have their own training at several of the circuits here.

I would say for any track nut the pinnacle is a private training day at the Nordschleife. The public tourist laps are way too popular, crowded, and dangerous to get much value out of it. A local BMW club that partners with BMW CCA has an international school at the Nurburgring every August. This school is 4 days long. only 80 cars in attendance. the entire track is closed for the school. Its split up into 11 sections and you really get a chance to learn each piece. Complete laps (continuous) are done in the afternoons. At the end of the school, you go out for your graded lap. Just you and the Green Hell all alone. What an erie feeling! By far the best DE I have ever participated in. If you want a list of companies and orgs hosting track days PM me and I'll provide you my list.