BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

^ switched my headunit to sony and never looked back. took 30 minutes to install, now speakers sound much better, pandaro/tune-in radio, usb drive, bluetooth etc. and since there is a door, everything looks stock.

also with good tires and VSA (DSC/DTC) drove though hurricane going 70 mph.....rain, snow cant effect S2000
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

The S2k is one of the only cars I've driven where you really feel "connected" to the car and the road. I know it sounds cheezy, but that's really the only way I can describe it. comparatively, an E90 feels like it has 6 layers of insulation between you and the road. Not that it's necessarily bad, because I really like my E90 as a daily driver for that reason (quiet and comfortable).

I can see how the S2k can be a bit too raw for many people, especially if you have a long commute. If I didn't have a ~70 mile daily commute, I'd probably be driving an S2000 right now. If the weather is mostly nice where you live, and you don't have a very long commute, It may be just what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

A rice rocket tuna can.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkan View Post
The shifter. Gods own hand must have been involved in the developement of this. It is just the right weight, precise and my definition of a perfect man machine interface. Really, I cant stress this enough. Really. REALLY. Hyperbole you say? Then you have not driven one.
Summary:
Con's- Too raw for everyday driving. Not enough power to compete with modern day sports cars (or minivans!). Tight interior. Soft top mechanism WILL wear a hole in your top (check out the s2k forums). Convertable tonneau is 1 piece, cant be stored in vehicle, hard to put on correctly, and is a pointless piece of crap. Enthusiast crowd trends younger and "ricer" style is part of that. Trunk is small (duh.)
Pro's - Very raw, jet fighter drive, great for corner carving. Top down on great day can not be matched. Fun to redline and tear around a bit.
BEST........SHIFTER.......EVER.

Sorry for the rambling, stream of consciousness thing going on.
I agree with the above.

I owned a 2002 for a number of years and used it as my only car. (Then, I had kids and got the BMW.) I would definitely pick up an S2000 as a second car now. It is not the fastest car in a straight line, but you feel very connected to the road and it is a blast to drive. The suspension can be harsh, but it handles great. And, it's pretty cheap to maintain and has Honda reliability. I prefer the AP1 to the AP2, but they are both loads of fun.

And, yes, it has the best gearbox ever made. Period.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I had an AP2 S2k for about 3 years, then switched to an Evo X for another 3 years. Now I'm in a 335d. Out of all the cars I own, I think the S2k would be my favorite. It's just a pure sports car. The seats, gauges, shifter, really feels like it's all about performance. Don't get the ones with drive by wire though. The only thing I don't miss about it is the lack of torque. Turbo cars win that for sure. But peppiness at high RPMs and really excellent reliability and quality makes for an awesome car. They aren't built like the average Honda's thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Flying_Dutchman13
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Helicopter

I spent a couple years driving an Ap1 s2k, it was definitely a fun car to own. Mine was white with blue interior, I think that combo was only available in Canada. My experience was that it was a really fun car, Im 6'2" and I liked how it felt like I was in a race car all the time. I was young and single so I had nothing to carry around with me, so trunk space wasnt an issue. It handled really well and the transmission is perfect. Im not sure why people are saying its slow, it runs 13's stock in the 1/4 mile. I realize thats not blazing fast but its not exactly slow. If I could do it over again, I would have kept that car.
03 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I can see how the S2k can be a bit too raw for many people, especially if you have a long commute. If I didn't have a ~70 mile daily commute, I'd probably be driving an S2000 right now. If the weather is mostly nice where you live, and you don't have a very long commute, It may be just what you want.

the guy i purchased my car from 65+ and 6 feet tall took it to Florida from Mass and back....said he enjoyed every minute of it. he does have 2 more cars and picked S2k for this trip. and now i know why.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post

And, yes, it has the best gearbox ever made. Period.
I daydream about that shifter/gearbox as I row my Viking long boat from 1st to second.
      07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 S2K, e92, 5.0

wow guys, thanks so much for all your valuable input. I think there was only one other thread from a while ago that discussed the s2000 extensively. First hand experiences can't be wrong, although to each their own.

I actually just got back from test driving one at the dealer. I'm by no means big (5'9 and change) so the 'cockpit' isn't really an issue. I live in Georgia so weather is fairly convertible friendly. Here are my comments after test driving it (I was given 15 min, went back 75 min later, oh well!)

-You all are right about the shifter. It caught be by surprise how precise it is. And the position of the shifter keeps your hand close to the wheel...I just feel like touching it all the time (that's what she said ) but boy isn't it nice.
-Lack of torque is also very true, however this engine ('07, so I guess AP2) really begs to be revved. I was flooring repetitively it so I can rev it up and feel the VTEC. I think the dynamics are very different than turbo cars...I would go as far as saying it's somewhat similar to the N52, just revs higher and not as silky smooth.
-Interior...meh. I like the seats, but no radio quality to speak of whatsoever. Who cares with the top down. It's a driver's car.
-I started the test drive with the top up. 20 mins later I dropped the top. Reminds me of the Shelby I had, convertible is fun. This would be my favorite feature hands down, other than the shifter.

And right after I got back into the BMW...
"Wow this Bimmer is so smooth!!" like a little kid in the candy shop. Transmission, engine are all silky compared to the S2000. And absolutely comfortable...the 6 layers of insulation really are doing their job to keep this car quiet. On the way home I was driving the BMW like I was driving the S2000...revving the engine up and all...this is where the S2000 wins.

One thing worth mentioning is that this S2000 has shot wheel bearing on driver side. I believe it is a $1000 job to be replaced give or take. Maybe pads too...not sure. It has about 60K mi. They just put new tires on (Goodyear Eagle GT) so that's a bonus.

Anyway, just wanted to share my feedback with you guys. Again thanks for all your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Flying_Dutchman13
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Helicopter

Good to hear you got to take one out for a rip. Youre right on with the radio quality. I ended up getting a new head unit and speakers. Which also helps you hear the music when you have the top down. I actually got pulled over one night for driving with the top down after it just starting raining a bit. The officer thought I had the top down because I stole the car and cut the top to get in.
03 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I had a S2000 for a daily driver and autocross toy for a few years. It's completely different than the 3 series. Smaller, louder, more revs, less torque etc. If you're a single guy with no kids and a relatively short commute and want a fun car to drive the S2000 is great. I just got tired of the wind noise on my highway commute to work, crappy stereo, no torque etc and since I have a Lotus Elise it made sense to dump the S2000 and get a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
As far as acceleration.. ...with driver and

How's the acceleration without a driver?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Chevy LS or 2jz swap.
      07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #36
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

S2k is probably one of my favorite "drivers cars". I would have got one but I would seeking more power out of the box this time around. Maybe in a couple years i'll pick one up for a project car. I've driven a few dozens between friends and working at a honda dealer for a few years.

This seating position, the driver feeling, and the shifter/transmission are just perfect. Car feels planted and solid.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Get 135
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

My dad owns a yellow S2000 and bimmer and is in love with his "toy" (S2K). The seats are extremely comfortable and surprisingly has a good amount of leg room (I dont know what the hell people are saying above me about no room). It feels so lightweight and drives like a beast. The weight difference between it and a bimmer is incredible. I wouldn't recommend it as a DD at all. Rumor is the engine is worth just as much as the car itself these days
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Get an S2K as your secondary car. It's not meant to be a primary car IMO. I sold my 350z due to it being too limited for my weekend outing with the wifey. I can't fit ANYTHING! It was either the wife or the dog, haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I'm personally looking for an s2000 as well. Reason I'm looking at this car:

-Maintenance and reliability: Parts are cheap if you need to repair something, it's easily accessible. These motors will last hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues.
-MPG: Pretty decent MPG compared to most sports cars out there
-Looking for a driver's car: Every thread and review I read brags about how great the shifter and motor is. One of the best 2.0/2.2 liters out there imho since it feels and sounds so amazing being in a compact car.
-Great looking car with a soft top!

I have to admit, I was pretty hesitant when looking for one of these. Coming from a Mercedes, I feel like a ricer rolling around in a tiny 2.2l Honda. :shrug: But honestly, it's such a great car in terms of handling, the environment, and engine, I really have nothing negative to say about it no matter the brand or status. I've actually never heard anyone say anything bad about this car who has owned it themselves. The only people who have something negative to say have never owned one or driven one for a decent period of time. I was also looking at other sports cars in the same range. What won me over is the reliability and cost to maintain. Nothing really can compare. :twocents:
      07-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #41
LaXNTiGA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i - Jet Black

Man, I'm in the same position as you. Although I don't got the cash for it now, I want an S2K in the long run.

I had a '94 Miata, that was A LOT of fun. The only thing I don't like about the S2K is the bar in the middle of the foot rest - both driver and passenger seat. It's not a bar, but more of an indent in the chassis? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

What a coincidence, I had a '07 STi myself! You are saying the exact things I am. I had my BMW for a few weeks. The BMW is a great all rounder, but want something more.... say... raw.

I'm tempted to start modding my suspension on the 328i to see if I would be content... by then, I would definitely need some better seats too. *sigh should have bought a one with the sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #42
gonick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

I had an s2000 before my 335i and I still miss that car so much.

It's hard to explain but you just feel so much more connected to the car in the s2000. You are totally involved in driving it and the way it responds to your every input is so precise. Turn in is so sharp and the cars body is so flat. Brakes and steering are also very precise and inspire confidence The transmission is just so perfect too. The car just begs you to drive it hard. I like the simplicity of the cockpit and how you fall into the car instead of stepping into it. I like how every control is within reach even when your hands are on the steering wheel. You get a sense that the car was made with such a narrow focus on driver enjoyment as compared to the 335i which is more a jack of all trades. You also feel like you a driving something special, a handmade car with a truly unique engine. I miss revving the f20c to its 9000 rpm redline with the top down. The sound it makes will give you goosebumps. It is also the epitome of Honda reliability. I only had to do routine maintenance and I felt like the car could last forever if taken care off. The s2000 has also IMO aged very well and still looks very modern.

Downsides? It's not terribly practical. It can also beat you up if it's a daily driver... You have to exert effort driving the car. It makes you work unlike a 335i were you can just cruise for miles and miles. There is a lot of noise coming into the cabin because of the soft top. Wind noise, tire noise, engine noise, transmission, rocks and pavement. The car is really raw.

Also the steering wheel is a bit small.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
Biohazard29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6sp

I am a big fan of the S2k, I personally have a 08 S2k CR that I run at the track. It has been modified for track use but wouldn't want to daily it every day. My DD is my E92 335i M sport 6spd. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the S2k.

2011/335i Msport/ 6sp Manual/ K&N filter/ Akrapovic Evo Exhaust System/ FORGE FMIC/ Cobb Stage 1 + FMIC
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #44
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

I'd say if you're fairly young without kids, you should do it. I did with an AP2 (2008) S2000. I actually took over a lease of my buddy's for 1 year. It was the perfect amount of time to have the car.
Appreciate 0