BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Question about TPMS

08 M3 with iDrive...Do these cars use two different style TPMS? I ask because I think I remeber reading that the car senses the wheel speed and detects low tire pressure that way (like the MINI's do). But there is also TPM sensors in each wheel that monitors actual tire pressure.
      07-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
bigeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would also like to know how the TPMS works...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

All E9x M3s use sensors in each wheel. The wheel sensor changed slightly for the 2010 model year so there are two different PNs (make sure you get the original one if replacing them for your car.) Euro, Canadian (?) and other markets still use sensors on the car that detect changes in rotational speed to determine pressure and whether a tire is going down (no wheel sensors). This is the way it was on the E46 M3 even in the US.
      01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
MasterofGoing Faster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

How is it that each tire has a TPM sensor yet BMW cannot display which tire it is that is going down? In my 2012 E92 M3, whenever 1 tire drops, the TPM indicator shows all 4 tires faulted. At first I was told by the dealer that this indicated a speed sensor failure. I later saw for myself that each tire has a sensor within so it must not depend on sensing wheel speed. Why then does the reset procedure require you to roll off before it re-calibrates? Is it using a wheel speed sensor or tire pressure sensor? Despite what the manual says, they included a single sheet manual addendum indicating to ignore the manual ... when there is a low tire, the indicator will display all 4 tires as being low. Is this a special feature only applicable to M3s and why?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGoing Faster View Post
How is it that each tire has a TPM sensor yet BMW cannot display which tire it is that is going down? In my 2012 E92 M3, whenever 1 tire drops, the TPM indicator shows all 4 tires faulted. At first I was told by the dealer that this indicated a speed sensor failure. I later saw for myself that each tire has a sensor within so it must not depend on sensing wheel speed. Why then does the reset procedure require you to roll off before it re-calibrates? Is it using a wheel speed sensor or tire pressure sensor? Despite what the manual says, they included a single sheet manual addendum indicating to ignore the manual ... when there is a low tire, the indicator will display all 4 tires as being low. Is this a special feature only applicable to M3s and why?
My M3 shows exactly which tire is low. Right front, left rear, etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
My M3 shows exactly which tire is low. Right front, left rear, etc..
+1
Appreciate 0