BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

06-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #111
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
Yes. We have specifically designed our xpipe based tune for that.

I definitely notice this... you know, more than anything else, I notice the car feel stronger in this area, I guess I've been running catless (ON THE TRACK OF COURSE!) for so long that I had forgotten what stock felt like in this area.

I am really enjoying this tune, can't wait to get some dyno numbers. The other thing I've noticed, curiously enough, M-DCT lag from a standstill appears to have been eliminated.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #112
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I definitely notice this... you know, more than anything else, I notice the car feel stronger in this area, I guess I've been running catless (ON THE TRACK OF COURSE!) for so long that I had forgotten what stock felt like in this area.

I am really enjoying this tune, can't wait to get some dyno numbers. The other thing I've noticed, curiously enough, M-DCT lag from a standstill appears to have been eliminated.
That's great to hear Kit, glad your enjoying your tune and can't wait to hear how you get on with the dyno. Make sure they have a nice big fan!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #113
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post

Quote:
That's great to hear Kit, glad your enjoying your tune and can't wait to hear how you get on with the dyno. Make sure they have a nice big fan!
Man this thread is so tempting!! I am definitely looking forward to seeing the dyno results, especially with the X Pipe!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #114
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

has anybody seen an increase or decrease in MPG from their normal driving after the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #115
URG8RB8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 6MT, 2015 AMG C63S

I doubt this has any effect on HP, but will a modded OEM exhaust have any impact on the tune? I am very tempted with the remote tuning software. My car is mainly used as a DD (with the occasional track session). What benefits can I realistically expect when driving around town?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #116
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
has anybody seen an increase or decrease in MPG from their normal driving after the tune.
Realistically its about the same, sometimes possibly 1-2mpg more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URG8RB8 View Post
I doubt this has any effect on HP, but will a modded OEM exhaust have any impact on the tune? I am very tempted with the remote tuning software. My car is mainly used as a DD (with the occasional track session). What benefits can I realistically expect when driving around town?
Modded how? Cats?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #117
URG8RB8
Private First Class
Rep

Modded how? Cats?[/QUOTE]

Cut open top of can, and replaced perforated tubes with straight welded pieces. Similar to this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=periokid

Affects mainly sound, but a little more direct flow. Again, I doubt that either the mod or the tune increase HP.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #118
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Modded how? Cats?
Cut open top of can, and replaced perforated tubes with straight welded pieces. Similar to this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=periokid

Affects mainly sound, but a little more direct flow. Again, I doubt that either the mod or the tune increase HP.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, you aren't going to see any power difference with that, just sound really
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #119
URG8RB8
Private First Class
Rep

And as far as the effectiveness of tuning for DD?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #120
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
The tuning strategy was done with making a great driving car better to drive.

Smoother and and more urgent without going too far and making it difficult to drive.

Doing this was harder than getting more power!

As far as power goes, we concentrate on doing it safely and not just using lots of ignition timing which is the norm for the tuning industry.

Removing fuel was strictly unacceptable.

Once some dyno tests are done you will see stock AFR's and very small changes to ignition. The key for us, like on many of our tunes is concentrating on getting the cam timing optimal as this in our opinion is the safest way to tune a car. This is infact very tricky and you have to understand the valve opening and closing events to really take benefit.

The tuning that's out there right now from us is very tame compared to what we can release. Like anyone else, we too can force ignition, keep very high ignition targets, run the engine a little leaner and create some serious power from just a tune. However, if the knock detection system is not quick enough to detect the knock or cannot knock back ignition fast enough you will have a serious case of Pistonus Ringmeltus.

Hope that gives a little more insight to our tuning strategy and what's actually on your ECU's right now.

One individual on this thread has seen the changes!

Last edited by Sales@Evolve; 06-14-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #121
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

More than one
      06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #122
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Do you have a tune specifically for people with a 2ndary cat delete, exhaust and filter?
Yep, certainly do We've tuned for pretty much most different variations of bolt-on mods for the E9X M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #123
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post

Smoother and and more urgent without going too far and making it difficult to drive.

As far as power goes, we concentrate on doing it safely and not just using lots of ignition timing which is the norm for the tuning industry.

Once some dyno tests are done you will see stock AFR's and very small changes to ignition. The key for us, like on many of our tunes is concentrating on getting the cam timing optimal as this in our opinion is the safest way to tune a car. This is infact very tricky and you have to understand the valve opening and closing events to really take benefit.

The tuning that's out there right now from us is very tame compared to what we can release. Like anyone else, we too can force ignition, keep very high ignition targets, run the engine a little leaner and create some serious power from just a tune. However, if the knock detection system is not quick enough to detect the knock or cannot knock back ignition fast enough you will have a serious case of Pistonus Ringmeltus.

Hope that gives a little more insight to our tuning strategy and what's actually on your ECU's right now.

Hey Sal!

It's great to know that you guys are continue to implement your great philosophy into the E9X M3s as well! We'll see how much change I have left over after I get your CF Airbox, maybe I'll be able to splurge a little extra for our E90, haha

--

I'm looking forward to hearing people's feedback on the tune! My experience with Evolve has only been phenomenal!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #124
wdd1040
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

These guys are super quick and responsive! Can't wait to receive mine!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #125
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post

That may be me Sal is reffering to .... and I love his tune! I took my M3 to the track this weekend with Sal's tune - and I dont' really care about dynos ... but I can feel and sense a difference... I've tried the car without Sal's tune and with Sal's tune switching back and forth several times - and definiteively there is a difference... 4k onwards there is more power, smoother more aggressive accel. With his tune, the M3 feels like the car it should have been as it came from the factory.

In sept, I plan to get an Akra Evo and go to Evolve/Sal's Stage 2 tune..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #126
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
That may be me Sal is reffering to .... and I love his tune! I took my M3 to the track this weekend with Sal's tune - and I dont' really care about dynos ... but I can feel and sense a difference... I've tried the car without Sal's tune and with Sal's tune switching back and forth several times - and definiteively there is a difference... 4k onwards there is more power, smoother more aggressive accel. With his tune, the M3 feels like the car it should have been as it came from the factory.

In sept, I plan to get an Akra Evo and go to Evolve/Sal's Stage 2 tune..
Thanks for sharing the feedback! There is true evidence of the benefits of their tune!

In regards to the exhaust, have you heard Evolve's Full Exhaust...it sounds quite sexy
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #127
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

One of the things that really appealed to me about the jb tune, and the powerchip for my m5 is that the developers were constantly tweaking and upgrading the tune. This adds a lot of value to me. I'm sure the tune you have now is great, but do you plan on fine tuning as time passes? Would the upgrade to this new tune be complimentary?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #128
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
One of the things that really appealed to me about the jb tune, and the powerchip for my m5 is that the developers were constantly tweaking and upgrading the tune. This adds a lot of value to me. I'm sure the tune you have now is great, but do you plan on fine tuning as time passes? Would the upgrade to this new tune be complimentary?

Thanks!
That's exactly what we do. We periodically update our tunes and every single update is free. The more time we spend with each vehicle the more we can tweak the tunes to release more power or torque or simply make general improvements.

We also upgrade our software used in the remote tuning devices, we are currently working on code clearing and full datalogging features. Which, again, will be a completely free upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #129
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Another quality service by Evolve
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #130
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
We also upgrade our software used in the remote tuning devices, we are currently working on code clearing and full datalogging features. Which, again, will be a completely free upgrade
now that's mega-awesome news!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #131
wdd1040
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

Quote:
That's exactly what we do. We periodically update our tunes and every single update is free. The more time we spend with each vehicle the more we can tweak the tunes to release more power or torque or simply make general improvements.

Do you notify customers that updates are available? Or have someplace that they can check?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #132
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdobry View Post
Do you notify customers that updates are available? Or have someplace that they can check?
We notify directly via email
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread