BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
e90330msport
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 DCT

Exclamation More details on new iDrive

This has been confirmed for September in UK:-

(Scroll down for Screen shots..)

In September 2008 option 609, BMW® Professional Multimedia Navigation system, will be revised on the following models:

1,3 & 7 Series

The updated system includes a new iDrive Controller with shortcut buttons, together with a more intuitive iDrive menu system.

The highlights of the new system are as follows:

New iDrive Controller with more intuitive operation

High resolution Control Display with vibrant screen

Revised iDrive menu structure

Interactive help with on screen description of function

Built in hard disc drive for improved speed of operation and data storage

More detailed navigation map

New navigation options and settings to enhance route planning

Multimedia capability with 8GB storage for audio files

Improved voice control

New layout for Favourite buttons with new direct function keys (model specific)

New iDrive Controller and Control Display
The new iDrive Controller now features shortcut buttons.
These provide access directly to systems which are regularly used by the driver:

CD / Multimedia
Radio
Telephone
Navigation

The “turn-press-slide“ system previously used has been enhanced.
From the Main menu a sub menu is selected by turning the controller and pressing down. To then navigate to the sub menu you then tilt to the right to open each further sub menu. This opens a window on top of the last screen. Tilting to the left moves back a screen.
Using any of the shortcut buttons (CD, RADIO, TEL, NAV) at any point returns the user to the last screen used within that menu.
The other controller buttons function as follows:

MENU Returns you to the Main menu
BACK Back to the previous screen, for up to 30 steps
OPTIONS Some sub menus have settings and specific functions that can be set by using this button

Hard Disc Mode
The new system is hard disc based rather than running from a DVD map. This provides the following benefits:

Improved speed of operation
Factory installed navigation map
Storage capability for other data
Single DVD Drive in dashboard

The navigation map can be updated by:
Workshop programming system
Loading an update disc in the DVD Drive

Navigation Enhancements – Route Planning
The new navigation map provides route planning enhancements:

Full screen mode
3D perspective view
Assistance window
Height mode
Night view
Travel planner (multiple stop-off points along one route)

Navigation Enhancements – Assistance Window
The following changes have been made to the functionality available within the Assistance Window:
Zoom in / out separately from the main window
With manual navigation destination entry, after input of several characters, a wizard type list is displayed
Any list containing locations will be displayed in a map in the assistance window (eg. points of interest, traffic information)
If a route is planned, the Assistance Window will highlight it, making it easy to see where a location is in relation to the route
Entertainment details allows you to display details of the music you are currently playing
When a destination is set the Road junction zoom is an option that will show an enlarged graphic of the junction exit on your planned route

Navigation Enhancements – Night View
You are now able to select a night view for the navigation map.

Navigation Enhancements – Travel Planner
The new navigation system can also be used as a travel planner to plan routes with up to 30 stop-off points.
When you set-up a route you can freely insert new addresses into anywhere between the start point and the destination.
When a stage destination is reached the navigation system automatically sets the next destination.
You can also reverse the direction of the route and save routes you have created for future use.

Multimedia Capability – Music Storage
The hard disc drive provides 8.0GB storage for audio files.
Music can be stored on the hard disc from three sources:

Audio CD
Data CD/DVD
USB device in data port
Usable storage capacity on the hard disc in 7.6GB, this will hold circa 2,000 songs at 128kbits/s.
Audio CD

‘Save music to car’ function ‘rips’ the music to hard disc drive
Music is converted into a WMA file with a fixed data rate of 128 kbits/s and is saved on the hard disc drive

Music can be played while the music is saved
Audio CD’s ripped and saved to the hard disc drive are shown in the music collection with a CD icon by the corresponding title

Data CD/DVD
‘Save to vehicle’ function copies audio files from a data CD or DVD to the hard disc

MP3, WMA and AAC formats are compatible
Audio copied to the hard disc drive is shown in the music collection with a folder icon by the corresponding title
USB device
‘Import New Music (USB)’ function copies audio files from a USB device to the hard disc

MP3, WMA and AAC formats are compatible
Audio copied to the hard disc drive is shown in the music collection with a folder icon by the corresponding title
The new navigation system includes a new USB data port hidden in the glove box to import the music, this USB data port cannot be used to play audio files
You cannot import music to the hard disc drive from option 6FL USB audio interface, located in the arm rest

The new USB data port in the glove box can be used export all of the audio files from the hard disc drive, onto an external USB device.
This facility is for the customer to use if the vehicle is to visit the workshop, or if the customer is changing their vehicle.
Exported audio files can be imported back to the vehicle by uploading via the USB data port.
Note: It is not possible to play music files that feature copy protection, although they will be copied to the hard disc drive from CD/DVD or USB device.

The CD / Multimedia menu includes a sub-menu which allows you to search the audio you have saved using the following criteria:
Genre / Artist / Album / Track
To enable use of this facility every audio file stored in the car must be encoded with data (it is called the ID3 tag). This information is not always available on an audio CD.
On the hard disc drive there is 4GB space allocated to a database called Gracenote. This database is accessed when an audio CD is ripped and the audio file is saved with the track data if it is available.
There will be additional options for BMW® ConnectedDrive customers to supplement missing data. The Gracenote database can also be updated during a workshop visit.

Bluetooth telephone integration
The new system supports PIM services (Personal Information Manager.)
Future bluetooth handsets we recommend with PIM services will transfer the phone’s contact data to the hard disc, this will include contact addresses held in the phone memory.
The car will have a ‘Central address book’. Information transferred by the phone will appear in all relevant menus (phone menu, navigation address book and Contacts.)

Voice Control
Improved voice control (where fitted.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

sorry but someone beat you to it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...18&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
Why are you sorry? It's no big deal,nobody died.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

As much as I would love to get the more detailed map and HDD, I like the look of the one button iDrive much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
As much as I would love to get the more detailed map and HDD, I like the look of the one button iDrive much better.
i know that the new button seems kind of against the whole purpose of i-drive (simplicity), but after using the system before, I think it will be much better to have an MMI-like system with quick shortcuts instead of having to always go back to the main menu or pausing in one direction to navigate. This is going to be a big improvement!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

Would the more detailed navigation maps and functionality come from an updated dvd, or does this require updated hardware/software in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
LauroN
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Black

Just one an fantastic steel like button is enough. All the things said about iDrive seem to me like prejudice. It is a great system with all one can get with the voice recognition features already present in the E92.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
Would the more detailed navigation maps and functionality come from an updated dvd, or does this require updated hardware/software in iDrive?
updated hardware and software...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
New_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
i know that the new button seems kind of against the whole purpose of i-drive (simplicity), but after using the system before, I think it will be much better to have an MMI-like system with quick shortcuts instead of having to always go back to the main menu or pausing in one direction to navigate. This is going to be a big improvement!
You dont always need to go back to the main menu. When its on any screen if you hold up on the controller for a few seconds it goes to communication, down to entertainment, left to air distribution and right to nav without having to select them with the menu key.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Here's a video of the new I-Drive in action on the new 7 series.

feed://www.vimeo.com/user505069/videos/rss
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Wouldn't it be easier to reach/use if the Idrive controller was on the dashboard below the screen,especially if you have a passenger using the center armrest.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsu View Post

I like the iDrive in the back, that's a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
My dealer said that the updated iDrive will not make it into the 09 3/M series.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsu View Post

that interface looks sweet!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
it looks good ... shortcut buttons much needed ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
My dealer said that the updated iDrive will not make it into the 09 3/M series.
Wouldn't that be in direct conflict with the UK press release? Doubt the US or the E90 and E90 M3 would be a different but parallel model/production from the rest of the world. I'd trust a BMW press release before I'd trust the dealer, they want to sell what they have available NOW.

"In September 2008 option 609, BMW® Professional Multimedia Navigation system, will be revised on the following models:

1,3 & 7 Series"

It makes the most sense that the 2009 E90 LCI update would include the updated interior with new iDrive, otherwise we'd see a separate exterior and interior LCI. But who knows, Bimmerfile has stated elsewhere that there is a surplus of 2008 cars in the US so that may have influenced BMW's decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Wouldn't that be in direct conflict with the UK press release? Doubt the US or the E90 and E90 M3 would be a different but parallel model/production from the rest of the world. I'd trust a BMW press release before I'd trust the dealer, they want to sell what they have available NOW.

"In September 2008 option 609, BMW® Professional Multimedia Navigation system, will be revised on the following models:

1,3 & 7 Series"

It makes the most sense that the 2009 E90 LCI update would include the updated interior with new iDrive, otherwise we'd see a separate exterior and interior LCI. But who knows, Bimmerfile has stated elsewhere that there is a surplus of 2008 cars in the US so that may have influenced BMW's decision.
If true then I have ordered my car a month too soon as my is due in August for collection in September. I wonder is it a case of people placing orders after September will be able to choose the 609 option?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If true then I have ordered my car a month too soon as my is due in August for collection in September. I wonder is it a case of people placing orders after September will be able to choose the 609 option?

609 is the code used for the Professional sat nav now as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
Tedious: Don't give a rat's that it is a repost as I just saw this post ( ) and don't wish to search as if I had OCD.

To the point: I do want this new interface for iDrive.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #21
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I hate BMW. this happens all the time. the idrive is a nightmare and what it needs is shortcut buttons and revised menu and the navi is crap etc. and I'm stuck with the crap version.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #22
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I hate BMW. this happens all the time. the idrive is a nightmare and what it needs is more shortcut buttons and revised menue etc. and I am stuck with the crap version.
I beg to differ: I think the press created this storm-in-a-teacup when it came out (OK, did have some issues on the early 7er's).

I was using the latest version in a 3er in Germany last mth and found the latest iDrive to be:

(1) useful; and
(2) easy to use (can you use a PC/Mac? ... clearly you are able to do so as you are here...)

I just want the user interface enhancement presented by the MMI-like buttons.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0