BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #705
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
The plot thickens….

My initial test was doing comparisons between the radio and the Audacy app which streams the same station. I have two other cars with CarPlay, and these normally sound about the same between the radio and app. There was still a lack of bass when using the app on the mr12volt box

Went out for a drive and tried my mp3 collection through Apple Music. Booom! Full bass. Then I noticed a bit of distortion, so I set the EQ back to flat. Full bass. No distortion.

Tested the same track through USB in CIC, pretty darn close if not identical.

The bass issue may be flat out fixed in this box without any EQ adjustment.

Very curious what others think. I'm kind of doubting the accuracy of the DB app I used to come up as it was free and this is a phone, not the most accurate thing.
Only just installed and done initial testing but I also think the bass is fixed without any adjustment to the EQ.

Need more time to listen.
Appreciate 1
drwankel1049.00
      04-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #706
danbav
Private
Rep

Ok so had some time in the car. Played the same dance bass track from cic hard disk, stock usb and mr12volt using wireless CarPlay. Apart from a slight drop in volume when switching to mr12volt they all sound the same to me. Exact same track on the old mr12volt unit lacked bass compared to the stock systems. The is with the Mr12volt and car eq flat(default). For me the bass is no longer an issue.

As an added bonus the GPS reception on my phone now works and I can put my phone back in the oddiment tray using the inductive wireless charger. Would never work there for GPS apps with the old 12v unit.

I fitted the unit in exactly the same place.

Couldn’t be happier, made a good system perfect.

2013 335i e92 with individual audio
Appreciate 5
drwankel1049.00
soko3.00
UnicornM388.00
Raphc10.50
      05-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #707
DjMarkOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

apologies if this is a stupid question, but for the ones that have installed an aftermarket backup camera with this:

1. do you need to code for this?

2. I've installed aftermarket backup cameras & head units in other cars before w/o having the need to connect a power source to the camera, just the actual yellow rca from the camera into the head unit and I was good to go. is this not the case with the p2000 box?
🏁 IG: sincity_racer
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #708
Has39
Rep
Drives: E39 2002 530d, E60 2008 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMarkOne View Post
apologies if this is a stupid question, but for the ones that have installed an aftermarket backup camera with this:

2. I've installed aftermarket backup cameras & head units in other cars before w/o having the need to connect a power source to the camera, just the actual yellow rca from the camera into the head unit and I was good to go. is this not the case with the p2000 box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMarkOne View Post

1- NO: If you have a CD changer in glovebox
If you haven't got a cd changer then yes you will have to code in a cd changer.

2- I've installed mine today and it's an auto, did not have to to tap into any wires, just yellow rca and power from head unit side. If yours is a manual other users have had to tap into reverse light.
Appreciate 1
DjMarkOne105.00
      05-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #709
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
The plot thickens….

My initial test was doing comparisons between the radio and the Audacy app which streams the same station. I have two other cars with CarPlay, and these normally sound about the same between the radio and app. There was still a lack of bass when using the app on the mr12volt box

Went out for a drive and tried my mp3 collection through Apple Music. Booom! Full bass. Then I noticed a bit of distortion, so I set the EQ back to flat. Full bass. No distortion.

Tested the same track through USB in CIC, pretty darn close if not identical.

The bass issue may be flat out fixed in this box without any EQ adjustment.

Very curious what others think. I'm kind of doubting the accuracy of the DB app I used to come up as it was free and this is a phone, not the most accurate thing.
I would greatly appreciate your help with the microphone issue. I still have the splitter from a while back. Any videos how to put the microphone into the empty slot? Can you just use the native BMW system to make calls? It looks like Mr12volt has a video showing how to use this unit but when you make a call it leaves your WAZE map and goes to cic. BTW my system was originally a ccc that I upgraded myself to cic. Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by georgebmwM3; 05-01-2022 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #710
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
I would greatly appreciate your help with the microphone issue. I still have the splitter from a while back. Any videos how to put the microphone into the empty slot? Can you just use the native BMW system to make calls? It looks like Mr12volt has a video showing how to use this unit but when you make a call it leaves your WAZE map and goes to cic. BTW my system was originally a ccc that I upgraded myself to cic. Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions.
If you leave your phone paired with car CIC Bluetooth it will switch back to cic for calls. Well mine did.

No way to view Waze/CarPlay at the same time as the call in CIC.

If you want to use CarPlay/AA for calls unpair your phone from the stock idrive.

No experience with the mic splitter but others have had problems I believe.

I use the mic that came with MR12volt and use CarPlay for calls.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #711
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
I was thinking that I may just run the wire for mic to the vent for the cic screen. I would use some felt tape to secure it in place and remove the foam around the mic. I'll see if that works. Unless someone has another idea, I don't see another way than the A pillar. @ drwankel was able to use an empty slot in the mic bay but I don't know how to access that.

Last edited by georgebmwM3; 05-01-2022 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #712
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking that I may just run the mic to the vent for the cic screen and see how that works.
Mine is run to the steering column is visible but not really noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 05:01 PM   #713
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Mine is run to the steering column is visible but not really noticeable.
Where did you put Mr12volt? Behind the AC control or to the side of the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #714
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Quote:
I was thinking that I may just run the wire for mic to the vent for the cic screen. I would use some felt tape to secure it in place and remove the foam around the mic. I'll see if that works. Unless someone has another idea, I don't see another way than the A pillar. @ drwankel was able to use an empty slot in the mic bay but I don't know how to access that.
Flip back over some of the posts, they show the blank spot..

I have also removed the actualy mic from the casing and used the blanking plate by drilling a hole for the mic as shown below post. I feel the vibrations are causing issues being 'hard' mounted.. so will be changing it to a foam surround in there.. so it might be easier to wedge in the actual mic!

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=310
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #715
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Where did you put Mr12volt? Behind the AC control or to the side of the head unit?
Next to head unit. Used cloth tape to neatly loom the cabling. No rattles.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 04:51 AM   #716
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Installed mine. Works just the same as the P2000. No difference in bass as I didn't loose any before.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #717
eddiegordo
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Has anyone used the carsara mic splitter with these mr12volt boxes? Or is that not possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #718
Biwster26
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I installed the new DSP unit on a 2010 335i over the weekend, and now I am getting an "electrical system malfunction" warning on the display and I can see the power cycling to a lot of the idrive/gauge cluster electronics. This fault is intermittent and will sometimes clear up, where the unit will fully work for 10-15 mins then the fault comes back. The fault goes away if I disconnect the iDrive jumper wire and plug the factory plug back in. Has anyone else seen this with the new units? Could it be a short or something else wrong in the mr12volt box? I didn't see any obvious wire damage or something else that could be causing a short.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #719
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwster26 View Post
I installed the new DSP unit on a 2010 335i over the weekend, and now I am getting an "electrical system malfunction" warning on the display and I can see the power cycling to a lot of the idrive/gauge cluster electronics. This fault is intermittent and will sometimes clear up, where the unit will fully work for 10-15 mins then the fault comes back. The fault goes away if I disconnect the iDrive jumper wire and plug the factory plug back in. Has anyone else seen this with the new units? Could it be a short or something else wrong in the mr12volt box? I didn't see any obvious wire damage or something else that could be causing a short.
No problem with mine.

Mine Was a swap for the lights version. were you swapping out the old for the new version of unit?

If so could plug the old one back in and see if the issue is there? If so likely to be the cabling damaged somewhere, double check again carefully.

Could also try unplugging the power plug from the MR12volt unit but leave everything else in place and seeing if the fault goes away. Should prove either loom or unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #720
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
I would greatly appreciate your help with the microphone issue. I still have the splitter from a while back. Any videos how to put the microphone into the empty slot?
All I did was take the post off the mr12volt mic, and shove it into the empty slot. Ran the wire the same way as the mic splitter. Of note, the mr12volt mic wire is 1-2 feet longer than the mic splitter. I mounted my P2000 behind the glovebox and had to use an extension cable because the mic splitter cable didn't reach. The Mr12volt mic reaches my mounting location without the need of an extension.

Lastly, I must call this out. When I removed my mic splitter cable, I noticed that it had been badly pinched in 4 places. I was fighting with the A pillar badly when I originally installed the P2000, and I must have pinched the cable repeatedly during the battle.

My issues with the mic splitter could have been cable related. However, since everyone else claims it doesn't work anyway, this is likely a red herring.

Quote:
Can you just use the native BMW system to make calls? It looks like Mr12volt has a video showing how to use this unit but when you make a call it leaves your WAZE map and goes to cic. BTW my system was originally a ccc that I upgraded myself to cic. Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions.
I havent tested calls with the new box yet, but in the original P2000, I had the phone paired to the car, and then setup the P2000 box. End result was it was paired to both at the same time.

Outgoing calls would flip over to the CIC to make the call, and then go back to the P2000 when complete (uses factory mic)

Incoming calls were handled natively in carplay. (uses whatever mic is connected to the P2000).

Don't know if the new box behaves any differently. Will need to test.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #721
Biwster26
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
No problem with mine.

Mine Was a swap for the lights version. were you swapping out the old for the new version of unit?

If so could plug the old one back in and see if the issue is there? If so likely to be the cabling damaged somewhere, double check again carefully.

Could also try unplugging the power plug from the MR12volt unit but leave everything else in place and seeing if the fault goes away. Should prove either loom or unit.
This is a new install, but doing a bit more troubleshooting it does seem to be something in the main quadlock connector that is loose or pinched. Unplugging the main power connector didn't always resolve the fault so so far no reason to blame the 12v unit itself
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #722
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

My new DSP version just arrived. I would like to install a front view camera in addition to the rear view one. I can't seem to find any videos or instructions on this but see there is an input for the RCA on the Mr12V harness. Is a power wire also needed? Curious if anybody has set this up on an E93, I have a 2010 E93 M3 BTW.

Addendum: Never mind found the power cable as well, anybody have any name brand front cameras that are easy to install?
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      05-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #723
Biwster26
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnation View Post
09 M3 CIC non CD changer. Anyone have an issue when you first get in the car, carplay connects and has a high pitched noise? Even if I press play the audio doesn't play?

Only way I can resolve this is by switching to another source like the radio and switching back. The problem happens again the next day or if I havent been connect to carplay for sometime.

CD also will show Track 01, Track 02, Track 03. I reached out to the tty33 who mentioned this track problem as well but he said his just fixed itself eventually

Things I have checked or tried Latest firmware, dip switches off, factory reset, and bimmercode per this thread.

Thank you in advanced!
Having the exact same issue on my install, what ended up being the fix here?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #724
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwster26 View Post
Having the exact same issue on my install, what ended up being the fix here?
Had high pitched sound with with no audio issue happen to me too.

I tried rebooting the Mr.12V unit using the on screen menu, switching inputs (FM/CD) and restarting the car.. did not fix it.

Then I drove off and after a few minutes it fixed itself.

I was hoping it was a rare one time bug...

Otherwise the unit works great and the sound quality is amazing. No loss of bass with the new DSP unit installed in my 135i with HK.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #725
priebe3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
Had high pitched sound with with no audio issue happen to me too.

I tried rebooting the Mr.12V unit using the on screen menu, switching inputs (FM/CD) and restarting the car.. did not fix it.

Then I drove off and after a few minutes it fixed itself.

I was hoping it was a rare one time bug...

Otherwise the unit works great and the sound quality is amazing. No loss of bass with the new DSP unit installed in my 135i with HK.
I encounter this issue fairly often

It seems to happen when I shut off the car and then start it again within about 15 minutes (maybe Mr12Volt doesn't have time to shut off or something?)

Switching the input to Radio on the CIC and then back to CD (Mr12Volt) always fixes it for me
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #726
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by priebe3 View Post
I encounter this issue fairly often

It seems to happen when I shut off the car and then start it again within about 15 minutes (maybe Mr12Volt doesn't have time to shut off or something?)

Switching the input to Radio on the CIC and then back to CD (Mr12Volt) always fixes it for me
Thanks for the tip.

I did try switching inputs using the CIC controller, but not on the CIC itself. I'll give it a try next time I encounter the issue.
Appreciate 0