BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #89
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKMAN View Post
so how will this work with a bpm tune???
Works perfect with any tune, does not touch the DME area so it will not effect your tune if you have one installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #90
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

There seems to be some concern putting GTS software on a non-gts car.

This guy mentions hardware differences and that GTS DCT has larger clutch packs and more cooling.

http://goo.gl/QGy1mp

Any thoughts on the long term effects to using GTS DCT software? Probably means you'll need to change your clutches faster and/or it will cause more heat and cause it to go into limp mode fasteer?

Anyone with GTS software taken their car on the track yet?

Last edited by tdott; 08-09-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #91
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
This has been discussed in another thread. That there is no difference in the DCT between gts vs non-gts m3's
      08-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #92
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
This has been discussed in another thread. That there is no difference in the DCT between gts vs non-gts m3's
There is actually, I do not know about the clutch packs, but I do know the GTS has a secondary cooler, the file has been adjusted to solve the over heating problem. The part numbers and hardware ID are totally different then a standard M3
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #93
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
There is actually, I do not know about the clutch packs, but I do know the GTS has a secondary cooler, the file has been adjusted to solve the over heating problem. The part numbers and hardware ID are totally different then a standard M3
Did you think there would be any long term effects of using the GTS software on a non gts car?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #94
rypik@BW
Rep
Drives: S65/S85

There's a difference both inside and outside of these gearboxes. Also DCT from M3 is different than DCT from 335 even it's the same family of products.

However, i've been running with GTS/DCT soft for almost 7 months already, and there's no issues - but not tracking my M3 at all.

Most of DCT gearboxes i saw including my own (after 30k miles mileage) were having issues from overheating already, or rather mechatronics rubber gasket were having issues... (they're prone to leak) so there's a question if additional heat wouldn't make them leak faster makes some sense, but as it's not something you could measure at all (other than making some useless for now stats) i wouldn't bother and go for GTS upgrade.

Interesting, CRT files is different than GTS :P anyone tried it already ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #95
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
There's a CRT file now?
      08-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #96
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey `11 M3 ZCP

I got the GTS coding from Alex earlier this week. Transmission definitely feels snappier. The lag when shifting into reverse is gone and the gears engage noticeably quicker. The only odd thing I'm noticing is that the lag in the 2->3 shift at low speeds is still there.
      08-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #97
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

In low speeds I think the little lag is there so that it shifts smoothly rather than with a jerk.
      08-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #98
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Did you think there would be any long term effects of using the GTS software on a non gts car?
There are tons of cars on this forum that are supercharged making sick power with a stock DCT tranny. The concerns over a software flash are minor by comparison.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #99
sfrost
Rep
Drives: bmw f20

Can this be done in the uk?
Does it have to be done at a BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #100
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypik@BW View Post
There's a difference both inside and outside of these gearboxes. Also DCT from M3 is different than DCT from 335 even it's the same family of products.

However, i've been running with GTS/DCT soft for almost 7 months already, and there's no issues - but not tracking my M3 at all.

Most of DCT gearboxes i saw including my own (after 30k miles mileage) were having issues from overheating already, or rather mechatronics rubber gasket were having issues... (they're prone to leak) so there's a question if additional heat wouldn't make them leak faster makes some sense, but as it's not something you could measure at all (other than making some useless for now stats) i wouldn't bother and go for GTS upgrade.

Interesting, CRT files is different than GTS :P anyone tried it already ?
I ordered this from Alex a few days ago. I also don't see this to be much of a concern, like someone else mentioned, these trannys have been pushed hard with blowers. I doubt some coding will make too much of a difference, but I'll also be installing a stack gauge to measure dct temp.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #101
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

The version provided here is correct to standard DCT transmissions, so far 2 years, 23K+ with out a issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #102
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
UPDATE

I wanted to update you guys on a software change Alex just performed for me today. He mentioned in the thread here that there are a few GTS files available out there, and my initial review was for one of them, albeit, not for the most aggressive one. Well, I opted to go with a more aggressive file after Alex offered it up to me a few weeks ago. This file consists of 100ms shifts, the fastest the standard (non GTS) DCT can go.

NOT ONLY THAT, BUT HE WAS ABLE TO PROGRAM LAUNCH CONTROL DOWN TO 4500 or 3500, MY CHOICE.

Here was my text to Alex after I gave it a spin around the block and freeway:

"Fucking badass. Don't know how else to describe it. You rock."

It's that good. When testing, it was 110 degrees out and road temps were probably in the 130's. The E93 was still able to chirp gears all through 4th on S5 setting. I couldn't believe it. This is the real deal. If you like throwing hundreds of dollars away, by all means go with another vendor that charges more for probably the same thing. The first update I got I was very happy with. This version, I'm blown away at the value Alex is offering. Major props to you Alex.

One last thing I want to mention is that Alex has never gave me the impression that the services and files that he provides are unsafe for our cars. He has actually educated me about the dangers of some of the coding services I was originally requesting and therefore the reasons why he would not offer that type of coding. I respect that and it makes me feel confident in the safety and legitimacy of the other performance files like the DCT software he offers.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #103
BIU
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I wanted to update you guys on a software change Alex just performed for me today. He mentioned in the thread here that there are a few GTS files available out there, and my initial review was for one of them, albeit, not for the most aggressive one. Well, I opted to go with a more aggressive file after Alex offered it up to me a few weeks ago. This file consists of 100ms shifts, the fastest the standard (non GTS) DCT can go.

NOT ONLY THAT, BUT HE WAS ABLE TO PROGRAM LAUNCH CONTROL DOWN TO 4500 or 3500, MY CHOICE.

Here was my text to Alex after I gave it a spin around the block and freeway:

"Fucking badass. Don't know how else to describe it. You rock."

It's that good. When testing, it was 110 degrees out and road temps were probably in the 130's. The E93 was still able to chirp gears all through 4th on S5 setting. I couldn't believe it. This is the real deal. If you like throwing hundreds of dollars away, by all means go with another vendor that charges more for probably the same thing. The first update I got I was very happy with. This version, I'm blown away at the value Alex is offering. Major props to you Alex.

One last thing I want to mention is that Alex has never gave me the impression that the services and files that he provides are unsafe for our cars. He has actually educated me about the dangers of some of the coding services I was originally requesting and therefore the reasons why he would not offer that type of coding. I respect that and it makes me feel confident in the safety and legitimacy of the other performance files like the DCT software he offers.
My cable is coming in th email... Cant wait
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #104
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

So again on the multiple versions how do we know which GTS file we are getting? If we are getting a tuned down version isn't that just basically a Euro DCT flash? Is it easy to modify the shift speeds of these flashes and at what point is 100ms considered safe on a non GTS DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #105
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
So again on the multiple versions how do we know which GTS file we are getting? If we are getting a tuned down version isn't that just basically a Euro DCT flash? Is it easy to modify the shift speeds of these flashes and at what point is 100ms considered safe on a non GTS DCT.
This has been gone over in the thread although it might be a little buried by now.

It is not a Euro DCT flash. It is a GTS flash; there are a few versions. Just ask Alex or inform him what you want to accomplish and he'll recommend the correct one. I believe he can offer you a Euro DCT as well if that's all you're after.

100ms is the fastest you can go safely on a non GTS upgraded DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #106
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
This has been gone over in the thread although it might be a little buried by now.

It is not a Euro DCT flash. It is a GTS flash; there are a few versions. Just ask Alex or inform him what you want to accomplish and he'll recommend the correct one. I believe he can offer you a Euro DCT as well if that's all you're after.

I've been following the thread from the beginning. I myself got the GTS flash shortly after this thread started.

My main question is what GTS flash version it floating around by Alpine and a few other coders. It has now come to light with people claiming hardware differences between GTS and non GTS DCT. It was then stated these GTS flashes have softer shift speeds to account for the smaller clutch packs.

I suppose I'm just curious whats actually being done to these GTS flashes besides 100ms shift speeds. If they are being tuned down then realistically whats the benefit over a standard Euro DCT flash?

Again its just my curiosity as I already have it and it works superbly.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #107
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3
Quote:

I've been following the thread from the beginning. I myself got the GTS flash shortly after this thread started.

My main question is what GTS flash version it floating around by Alpine and a few other coders. It has now come to light with people claiming hardware differences between GTS and non GTS DCT. It was then stated these GTS flashes have softer shift speeds to account for the smaller clutch packs.

I suppose I'm just curious whats actually being done to these GTS flashes besides 100ms shift speeds. If they are being tuned down then realistically whats the benefit over a standard Euro DCT flash?

Again its just my curiosity as I already have it and it works superbly.
Go over to the thread with the Evolve review on the GTS DCT file, someone posted the hardware differences.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #108
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrost View Post
Can this be done in the uk?
Does it have to be done at a BMW dealer?
I can do it for you
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #109
Grapesape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral white m4

Alex just got another very satisfied customer! Somehow or another I screwed up the computer software he needed to work on my car. He was very patient and professional. You could tell he knew his way around the computer. Anyway, he got it working and hooked me up with the GTS software and coding. And just like literally everyone else here on the forum, I love it!! Seems to have helped the reacceleration lag that an OEM software update was supposed to have fixed, but for me and a few others, didn't. It's possible that it's psychological, so I'm paying extra attention to it. The only thing I don't like, and it's not Alex's fault, is it defaults to D2. Why not at least D3, or better yet, why not remember the last setting? Anyways, double thumbs up! Thanks Alex!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #110
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

The only thing I noticed with the new software is D2 now burns same amount of gas like D5 before..
Appreciate 0