BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #903
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
351
Rep
3,485
Posts

Drives: 19 M2C 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Come on, BMW, embrace Audi's decision to bring their new RS6 to the US market and do the same with your G81 M3 Touring. I put myself on a local dealer list to hopefully stir some interest (others should do the same).
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #904
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki__ View Post
Come on, BMW, embrace Audi's decision to bring their new RS6 to the US market and do the same with your G81 M3 Touring. I put myself on a local dealer list to hopefully stir some interest (others should do the same).
Yes, please why not 330is, with the 4cyl and manual, take my money...
__________________
Current - 2011 328xi Wagon
Past - 2015 Cayman S, 1990 325i Coupe, 2014 M235i, 2003 S2000, 2013 STI, 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 1
ki__350.50

      08-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #905
Flamingi
Private First Class
Germany
157
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: M550d F11, 745e G11 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: BMW HQ

iTrader: (0)

Do you have a timeline when we can expect more information about the next gen mild hybrids? I had the opportunity to ride in an early Mercedes test mule with a 26kW/35hp ISG and that was really impressive. They also increased the timespan the ISG can support the engine to 30s (it's currently 10s iirc). Apparently they will throw out the 12V battery and will solely have a 48V LiIon battery and converters for everything that needs 12V. The engineer claimed they will save weight compared to the current mild hybrids (which use two batteries with 12V and 48V). No electric only drive though. Do you also have any information if BMW will change from a belt-driven generator to an ISG like Mercedes (imo the better implementation)?

I'm really interested in the possible use-cases of this new generation, especially in regards to the G82 LCI or M models in general. I think the second generation will have enough benefits to justify the increased weight.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #906
ynguldyn
Colonel
3963
Rep
2,732
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Who is this ynguldyn guy who knows everything
I have no idea.
Appreciate 8
JTO242801.00
EvoFire79.00
Wild Blue666.50
Weiman143.00
Artemis13167.50
Frosty344.50
Ibiza1439.50

      08-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #907
hector
Captain
28
Rep
713
Posts

Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

iTrader: (0)

G42 220i would be non-U.S.?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #908
ynguldyn
Colonel
3963
Rep
2,732
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Do you have a timeline when we can expect more information about the next gen mild hybrids? I had the opportunity to ride in an early Mercedes test mule with a 26kW/35hp ISG and that was really impressive. They also increased the timespan the ISG can support the engine to 30s (it's currently 10s iirc). Apparently they will throw out the 12V battery and will solely have a 48V LiIon battery and converters for everything that needs 12V. The engineer claimed they will save weight compared to the current mild hybrids (which use two batteries with 12V and 48V). No electric only drive though. Do you also have any information if BMW will change from a belt-driven generator to an ISG like Mercedes (imo the better implementation)?

I'm really interested in the possible use-cases of this new generation, especially in regards to the G82 LCI or M models in general. I think the second generation will have enough benefits to justify the increased weight.
As I mentioned in my previous updates, my horizon is now much shorter than it used to be. It has shrunk from 2-3 years to maybe 1.5, with only random bits available 2 years out or more. So, for this much shorter period of future, I can tell you that you shouldn't expect any significant drivetrain news besides the full EVs coming next year.

Besides, such details as the exact engineering design of a part have never been available to me.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza1439.50

      08-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #909
ynguldyn
Colonel
3963
Rep
2,732
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
G42 220i would be non-U.S.?
Of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #910
hector
Captain
28
Rep
713
Posts

Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

iTrader: (0)

Yup; not sure why l bothered to ask! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #911
antzcrashing
Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
United_States
773
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
FAQ:

Can you guarantee that all of these models will come to market?
- No.

Can you tell me where you found this info?
- No.

This cracks me up everytime
Appreciate 1
Ibiza1439.50

      08-28-2020, 01:54 AM   #912
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Arcades's Avatar
Taiwan
2450
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Yup... no Wagon for us. Not even a special order.

That pretty much dumps any redeeming qualities of the G8x.

RIP
__________________
'18 Grigio Medio/Nutmeg BMW F80 M3 Competition "Stella" // '17 Mahogany Metallic/Black Porsche Macan S "Gisele"
2021 Porsche Macan GTS On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #913
mbanck
First Lieutenant
230
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: Skoda Karoq
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Yup... no Wagon for us. Not even a special order.

That pretty much dumps any redeeming qualities of the G8x.

RIP
Maybe BMW gets the idea that the wagon (like the convertible) should only be available as Competition AWD world-wide, then at least the 6MT wagon lovers from the US won't be too sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #914
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
13168
Rep
10,456
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Who is this ynguldyn guy who knows everything
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #915
jcutolo123
Private
jcutolo123's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Desperately need an M3 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #916
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
144
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Any updates on G15 and G29 LCI SOP?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #917
Wild Blue
Lieutenant Colonel
Wild Blue's Avatar
United_States
667
Rep
1,789
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW 330i w/ZHP Perf Pkg
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like the X8 hasn't died on the design table, during the COVID crisis. Thought it might.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #918
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
4703
Rep
5,707
Posts

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Sounds like the X8 hasn't died on the design table, during the COVID crisis. Thought it might.
X8 lives. The first fully stand alone BMWM car in this era.
__________________
The M850i is evidence that BMW have got their mojo back when it comes to dynamic sports cars...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #919
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6131
Rep
3,600
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
X8 lives. The first fully stand alone BMWM car in this era.
This truly shows that Albert Biernmann was right when he said M stands for ///Marketing.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 4
      09-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #920
ynguldyn
Colonel
3963
Rep
2,732
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

M GmbH 2020: We will have a standalone M car and it will be a 5500lbs SUV.

M GmbH 2000: burns the office to the ground and drives into the sunset in his clown shoe.
Appreciate 4
CSBM51512.00
F82PRETEND1268.00
BMWGirlFL986.50

      09-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #921
matbl
First Lieutenant
47
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: G31
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

ynguldyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
November 2020:
...
G31 520e
Still holds?
G31 530e was pushed to Nov, 520e SOP at the same time?
(I know I've asked before, trying to time my next car...)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
future bmw, release date, upcoming bmw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST