BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Repair fox red side bolsters

Hey All,

I just went through the leatherique process, I was recommended this stuff by a guy I bought my exhaust from after sitting in his seats and being really impressed with how soft/grippy the leather was I went for it.

The results seeem pretty good. I think I could have done a better job of clean up after the oil application, there are some streaks here and there that I may address later, but overall the seats look good. One thing that does not however is the worn leather on the drivers side bolster and some scrapes on the seats.

I’ve never worked with leather dye before and was wondering if anyone on here has dyed their fox red seats to repair and how it turned out. Heres some pics of the end result. Thanks.
Attached Images

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I've used these guys below
https://www.leatherworldtech.com/
color code EL-420
Color match is pretty on point. I just bought the dye but you might need the kit
Before

After
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Do some research and find a reputable auto upholstery shop in your area. Some of them offer mobile services.

I would not try and fix that myself -- the marks are too deep.
      04-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Like dparm says, a pro sort that easily. Proper paint and top coat however goes a long way. If you don't have a guy close buy I'd order a kit and give it a try. Can always be restored should you fail totally.

Used a kit from these guys myself: www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Repair_Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
r0cketm0nkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

You're in LA? Search for Fibrenew in Pasadena. I took my used Lexus there, came away very impressed. Look for it on Yelp, I posted pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Have a shop re dye the skin and swap with it with passenger skin. This way the bolster and repair is on the inside of the passenger seat.
It’s not an expensive process and will look amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Also, the wear on the driver's bolster leads me to believe you are rubbing it against it pretty badly when getting in and out of the car. You'll slow down the wear if you can sort of climb into the seat rather than drag yourself across it. I understand this isn't 100% practical for a variety of reasons, but if you can subconsciously make some small changes it could go a long way.

Every time you rub against the leather, you will slowly wear it down. This is why seat bottoms are typically very shiny -- your jeans have literally polished it from the small movements you make.
      04-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Also, the wear on the driver's bolster leads me to believe you are rubbing it against it pretty badly when getting in and out of the car. You'll slow down the wear if you can sort of climb into the seat rather than drag yourself across it. I understand this isn't 100% practical for a variety of reasons, but if you can subconsciously make some small changes it could go a long way.

Every time you rub against the leather, you will slowly wear it down. This is why seat bottoms are typically very shiny -- your jeans have literally polished it from the small movements you make.
+ 1 !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your seats look pretty banged up. Had same wear on my side bolster from entering/exiting the car. Had whole seat replaced b4 warranty expired by a very generous SA at local dealer. Major score! Going forward, I'm uber sensitive getting in and out now without brushing up against the bolster, i unbutton my True Religion pockets if wearing, and always, always sit on a towel now.
BOOF-M34450.00
      04-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M View Post
Your seats look pretty banged up. Had same wear on my side bolster from entering/exiting the car. Had whole seat replaced b4 warranty expired by a very generous SA at local dealer. Major score! Going forward, I'm uber sensitive getting in and out now without brushing up against the bolster, i unbutton my True Religion pockets if wearing, and always, always sit on a towel now.
Wear yoga pants then you don’t have to worry
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

lol im the third owner but probably did this some myself, as i blamed curbed marks on valets and mechanics till i took a huge chunk out of my wheel myself now i park a foot from the curb.

I'm going to check out fibrenew in Pasadena, thanks for the suggestion

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0