BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #45
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Here are some of the weight loss things I have done -

Rear seats - 70lbs (GTS cage and seat delete added back 65 lbs)
Seats - 50??
Suspension - ??
Exhaust - 50 to 75 for Akra GT4
Wheels - 25 +/-
Brakes - 30 lbs
Battery - 50 lbs (replaced OE battery which is 58 lbs with Voltphreaks which is only 8 lbs)

Despite the fact that the VP battery is expensive, it's actually a good weight savings bang for the buck. Not many options that reduce weight for less cost and less impact on the usability of the car.

Front lip, rear wing, and some other random things probably added back 50 lbs. I think I'm down net 150 to 175 lbs and I have full interior, radio, ac, etc.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1474.50
      02-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #46
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Hey guys, I'm getting close on a purchase. Negotiating on a 2012 e92 DCT. 100% stock. Still has BMW warranty and maintenance.

So was thinking about my first track day already, in a form that is as close to stock as possible to get a baseline. Thinking 255/275 MPSC2's on the stock comp wheels, Dinan front sway bar (to reduce the excess body roll), alignment to make the car as neutral as possible and with max neg camber to be easier on the outer tire edges, upgraded brake pads that don't squeal (PFC11's thx @SYT_Shadow ) SS lines and SRF fluid.

However before all of this there is a PCA Car control clinic on March 10th that I want to do in order to re-learn to drive a front engine car. Will give me a chance to burn through the crap Pilot Sport tires lol.

I am selling my Jeep to make room for the M3, so the M3 will also double as my utility vehicle lol.

Getting excited.

Thx All.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w

Last edited by Longboarder; 02-21-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      02-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #47
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Pristine 2012 e92 DCT Space Grey / Black, comp, premium, sound, carbon roof. 100% stock except Borla cat back.

Looking forward to seeing yall at the track.
Attached Images

IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
///Mobbin1474.50
      02-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #48
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Pristine 2012 e92 DCT Space Grey / Black, comp, premium, sound, carbon roof. 100% stock except Borla cat back.

Congrats! The best color, too! Laguna seca on 03/09 with Speed district.
      02-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #49
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

Damn, that was fast. It took me 6 months to find my car (but I was very picky).

See you at Bimmer Challenge at Big Willow.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #50
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Congrats!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #51
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Congrats. The car looks perfect!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #52
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

I've been embarking on a similar project, nearing completetion... I think. I've been down the track car plus daily route, and I like it, but my wife won't let me have both right now. I've been without a track car for a few years now and just commuting in a very practical Mazda 3 getting 40 mpg. My previous track car was a pretty wild EVO 8: 500 whp, lots of aero, stripped interior and always needing work - so I know where the line is on no longer streetable, at least in theory.

With that I sold the Mazda and bought a 2012 E92 ZCP with DCT back in October and have been spending the winter prepping it for track duty while also daily driving it on my 80 miles a day of commuting. Trying to keep it very drivable and civil while maximizing the fun factor for track days. Car had 48k miles on it when I bought it.

Did the rod bearings, bolts etc already. While I was in there I ended up adding an underdrive pulley and intake. Found some leaky coolant hoses and ended up replacing all of them and swapped in a CSF radiator, new thermostat and water pump while I had the coolant system open. I also added the BW power steering reservoir as I know the sticker is known to leak.

I installed BW motor mounts during the bearing swap and don't love them. They have broken in, but still shake and rattle the car a lot more than the stock mounts and really killed the refined feel of the car. I've got a set of new OE mounts I might put in at some point. So that's one area I feel I went too far on the track spectrum.

For brakes I did Performance Fricrion ZF54 BBK with street pads and PF012 for the track. I stuck Ferodo DS2500s in the rear on the stock calipers, loved that setup on the Evo. Installed stainless lines and RBF fluid.

Got some Apex 18x10 square wheels and 265ish Pirelli DH race takeoffs for tires. Added some wheel studs, which are kinda stupid long, need shorter ones at some point. Have some 15mm and 10mm spacers for the street setup on the stock staggered ZCP wheels.

Added a GT4 splitter, and an APR rear wing. All my friends hate the rear wing, but I like the GT car look and prefer that look over being confused with a dentist (sorry bmw driving dentists).

For suspension type stuff I've just installed solid rear sub frame bushings and front and rear swaybars. No plans for diff or any other bushings right now. I do want to ditch the rear toe adjustment via eccentrics and will likely but the SPL toe arms with lockouts. Haven't pulled the trigger on shocks yet but leaning towards MCS 2WR.

Wasn't planning on exhaust, but the deal on the BW race was really good at the holidays and I liked how simple, and lightweight it was. And thought I'd try, videos seemed to show it as actually not too bad. Well, it's pretty rad above 2k RPM. But between 1500-2000 RPM it resonates, and gets super loud. Which during my daily drive happens all the time and is a no-go. It's almost silent at freeway speed, but down low it is just booming. So still not sure anything other than stock is going to work. Still searching there.

Got some Scroth Pros for harnesses and some pedal covers and the inside of the car is good to go.

So looking forward to a first #trackday as the weather gets good in the northwest!
Appreciate 2
derbo3592.00
      03-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #53
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I've been embarking on a similar project, nearing completetion... I think. I've been down the track car plus daily route, and I like it, but my wife won't let me have both right now. I've been without a track car for a few years now and just commuting in a very practical Mazda 3 getting 40 mpg. My previous track car was a pretty wild EVO 8: 500 whp, lots of aero, stripped interior and always needing work - so I know where the line is on no longer streetable, at least in theory.

With that I sold the Mazda and bought a 2012 E92 ZCP with DCT back in October and have been spending the winter prepping it for track duty while also daily driving it on my 80 miles a day of commuting. Trying to keep it very drivable and civil while maximizing the fun factor for track days. Car had 48k miles on it when I bought it.

Did the rod bearings, bolts etc already. While I was in there I ended up adding an underdrive pulley and intake. Found some leaky coolant hoses and ended up replacing all of them and swapped in a CSF radiator, new thermostat and water pump while I had the coolant system open. I also added the BW power steering reservoir as I know the sticker is known to leak.

I installed BW motor mounts during the bearing swap and don't love them. They have broken in, but still shake and rattle the car a lot more than the stock mounts and really killed the refined feel of the car. I've got a set of new OE mounts I might put in at some point. So that's one area I feel I went too far on the track spectrum.

For brakes I did Performance Fricrion ZF54 BBK with street pads and PF012 for the track. I stuck Ferodo DS2500s in the rear on the stock calipers, loved that setup on the Evo. Installed stainless lines and RBF fluid.

Got some Apex 18x10 square wheels and 265ish Pirelli DH race takeoffs for tires. Added some wheel studs, which are kinda stupid long, need shorter ones at some point. Have some 15mm and 10mm spacers for the street setup on the stock staggered ZCP wheels.

Added a GT4 splitter, and an APR rear wing. All my friends hate the rear wing, but I like the GT car look and prefer that look over being confused with a dentist (sorry bmw driving dentists).

For suspension type stuff I've just installed solid rear sub frame bushings and front and rear swaybars. No plans for diff or any other bushings right now. I do want to ditch the rear toe adjustment via eccentrics and will likely but the SPL toe arms with lockouts. Haven't pulled the trigger on shocks yet but leaning towards MCS 2WR.

Wasn't planning on exhaust, but the deal on the BW race was really good at the holidays and I liked how simple, and lightweight it was. And thought I'd try, videos seemed to show it as actually not too bad. Well, it's pretty rad above 2k RPM. But between 1500-2000 RPM it resonates, and gets super loud. Which during my daily drive happens all the time and is a no-go. It's almost silent at freeway speed, but down low it is just booming. So still not sure anything other than stock is going to work. Still searching there.

Got some Scroth Pros for harnesses and some pedal covers and the inside of the car is good to go.

So looking forward to a first #trackday as the weather gets good in the northwest!
Sounds like a beast of a track car and should be much more fun than fixing the evo every weekend. I've never really seen many reliable Evo's that are tracked and modified. Something was always ruining their weekends.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #54
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Very cool! So you have kept the stock zcp suspension? Eager to hear how you like it with the improved subframe, and upgraded brakes and tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #55
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Right now it still has the ZCP suspension, but planning on MCS 2WR. Will just depend on when I get the money saved up to pull the trigger on those versus the first track day on if that setup sees action.

First I have some random rubbing to track down, thought it was brake dust shields rubbing but those seem fine, might be the driveshaft on the beat shield, so much was messed with on this round of installs. The rear end also has a clunk over bumps. Might be top hats as I tightened them with the suspension hanging. Pretty sure I got all the suspension tight otherwise, but it all came off for the subframe removal. Hoping it's not the subframe bushings conducting noise even though everyone says they dont!
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #56
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

!
Good move on the BW power steering reservoir. I have it on both cars and it solves the problem elegantly

For the engine mounts I would have the tuner move it to a 900-1000rpm idle. That's my plan after having the BW mounts for a year.
Stock ones are nice and soft, however, they last around 30k miles and I don't want to be replacing them nonstop!

The PFC Z54 BBK is excellent, I also have it on both cars. You'll probably want to switch to the PFC11 compound next time as it's practically silent on the street, allowing you to not swap pads. I literally drive all the time with the PFC11 compound.

For suspension, I have MCS 2WNR on one car and MCS 3WR on the other. I would definitely, definitely get the 3WR if I was doing it again. The difference is immediately noticeable.
Once you're past the price difference of the 2WNR to the R systems, the 3WR is not much more than the 2WR.

Resonance/drone around 2k rpm doesn't bother me much, even the stock one drones a little there. What kills me is 3k rpm drone which is right smack at highway speeds.
That said, I got the BW street exhaust, not the race one.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #57
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

Great thread...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #58
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Congrats on the acquisition.

If I were budget-building a car from scratch with the limitation of not wrenching myself, I'd correct platform shortcomings and capitalize on what I know works in order to limit cost of multiple set-up sessions. I'd also shy away from any coilovers with seals requiring 30k mi rebuild intervals. Here's my list in no particular order:
  1. PFC BBK all around
  2. KW Competition or Bilstein CS
  3. Front adjustable endlinks
  4. Front upper control arm bearing
  5. Poly rear shock mounts
  6. Solid rear subframe and diff mounts
  7. Track alignment + corner-balance from a reputable shop
  8. RE-71R
  9. Expendable front lip

Sways can be added later without alignment/setup changes if roll becomes an issue.
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #59
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone. So far so good.

After a few weeks with the car I love it! It's in pristine condition so it will be a little worrisome initially to beat on it.

Had it checked out at MRF and other than the rear section Borla, car was mod free for it's life. Needs tires and brakes and the engine mounts are shot. Here's my initial mods:

Michelin Cup 2's 255/35/19 F and 275/35/19 R on stock ZCPs
Ground control camber plates
BBK (deciding between Essex/AP, ST and Brembo but needs to fit 18's)
Test pipes (to prevent blowing out front cats at track), tune, Euro MDM and GTS DCT
Clear bra

Car will begin to see track time once the above is complete. Shortly thereafter I will do a couple other "maintenance" and other items like engine mounts, rod bearings, MRF subframe bushings, and anything else needed after a few track days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
roastbeef11571.50
      03-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #60
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Good to see the progress!!

The PFC Z54/45 BBK does fit under 18" wheels. Even under the OEM 18" if you use a 15mm spacer up front
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #61
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

2011 E90 DCT came with:
Dinan springs
Dinan rear toe arms
Dinan intake
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Tune

Ive done (so far):
Alex@Alpine GTS DCT program
Ground control camber plates
Apex RC7 19x10 wheels (square setup)
Pilot 4S 275/30/19
Castrol SRF brake fluid
Goodrich Brake lines
fresh spark plugs
fresh cabin filters
fresh oil/filter
Alignment (-2.5f -1.5r, .25 deg rear toe)

Extra 18x10 Apex ARC-8 square setup with 275/30/18 Nitto NT01 track tires

On order:
Slonik front 6p Brembo setup (black)
Cobywheel black wheel/other stuff alcantara
Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harness

I have an April 2nd appointment for rod bearings and engine mounts.

There's a late March SCCA AutoX I'll take it to and then track days begin in April/May.

I'll figure out what other suspension mods are necessary once I've beat on it a little bit. Seems like we're following similar paths, but mine is white (like a race car) so it's way better.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #62
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Nice pickup. Following this post to get more ideas. My M3 is still my daily and has EDC so I have been reluctant to start messing with the suspension. I added ST40 brakes 2 years ago, schroth quick harness and HANS last year. DCT maintenance this weekend as it hit 60K miles. Not sure I'll mess with suspension until things start needing to get replaced from wear.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #63
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Nice pickup. Following this post to get more ideas. My M3 is still my daily and has EDC so I have been reluctant to start messing with the suspension. I added ST40 brakes 2 years ago, schroth quick harness and HANS last year. DCT maintenance this weekend as it hit 60K miles. Not sure I'll mess with suspension until things start needing to get replaced from wear.
Do you track at all with your setup? I see your sig pic looks like COTA. I've been running a stock e92 M3 at COTA on Forza 7 for about a month lol.

I've been hearing that the stock ZCP suspension is actually pretty good once the car is set up with good tires/alignment, solid subframe and some weight reduction and aero.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #64
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

I do about 3-4 track days a year. 2 at COTA, and then 2 days at BMWCCA Ofest. It holds up well for me, but I don't have a lot of reference as I've never driven a fully dialed in setup. I get nose dive at COTA, and then a light rear end under extreme braking at the end of the straights and a fair amount of roll in the Esses. The front anti roll bar idea and maybe camber plates were the easy things from this discussion I thought I could use. I had camber plates in my old M Coupe and they saved my tires by clattered which is why I've stayed away in this car since 95% of the time, it's on a normal street and didn't want to deal with the sound.

Figured it was time to update the sig pic, since it had my wife's old E30, and E36. New sig was right before I put the BBK on it was 3 weeks from going out of warranty, and they said it wasn't time for brake disc replacement, so upgraded since either way it was going to be on my dime.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3

Last edited by 03BeastCharmer; 03-15-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #65
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do about 3-4 track days a year. 2 at COTA, and then 2 days at BMWCCA Ofest. It holds up well for me, but I don't have a lot of reference as I've never driven a fully dialed in setup. I get nose dive at COTA, and then a light rear end under extreme braking at the end of the straights and a fair amount of roll in the Esses. The front anti roll bar idea and maybe camber plates were the easy things from this discussion I thought I could use. I had camber plates in my old M Coupe and they saved my tires by clattered which is why I've stayed away in this car since 95% of the time, it's on a normal street and didn't want to deal with the sound.
I had ground control plates on my 2013 ZCP M3 for a couple years and there was no clatter, so I'm getting them again. I just got Cup2's installed on the ZCPs and I don't want to chord the outside edge as these tires are big bucks. So camber plates and alignment are next for me. Obviously lots of well documented benefits to front plates in addition to helping tire wear at the track. The car becomes much more razor sharp, particularly with wider front tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #66
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
Sorry if you mentioned this before, but have you done rod bearings?
Appreciate 0