BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

M3 Vs. Cayman R

This was basically the decision I came down to, as both are practically the same dollars.

Given that this will be a DD, my first ever bent-8 (Coming from a WRX --> 135i) and the last of its kind do you think I made the right choice?

Also keep in mind I hardly ever track (Ever) and seeing as I'm going to be paying off this car until I die it will need to see me through at least the next 10-15 years (Which will at some point involve kids + groceries).

The exhaust note is something that drew me to the M, but those carbon fibre seats + colour scheme in the new R look amazing!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
SeanR
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

The M3 was definitely the right choice. Caymans are about being raw and sporty and rough around the edges while M3s are about delivering adrenaline while keeping intact the practicality and refinement that BMWs are renown for. Keeping in mind the intentions of long-term use and needs, the M3 is the master of satisfaction. You have yourself an absolute beast whenever you want one, and a docile daily driver whenever you need one. Plus, with my experience driving a Cayman and an M3, the M3's abundance of power is a greater asset in the daily grind as compared to the perfect steering feel of the Cayman, this due to the fact that public means of transportation via automobiles do not include twisty circuits everywhere. All in all, a smart decision on your part.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
dexterharley
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

I was in the same dillema last year between the m3 and cayman s. While the cayman was nimbler and was fun to drive, the m3 just felt like so much more car ... This may sound stupid to some, but it was all the little things. The cayman s had short comings IMO. Things like a Cheap feeling interior , coupled with a stereo my dd toyota camry puts to shame. Obviously you dont buy a porsche because of the stereo, but a serious carmaker charging big prices shouldn't cheapen the whole car by cutting corner to increase profits. The m3 had no weak points in my opinion (other than mpg). I am still amazed at what a complete package it is and have never regretted my decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Thanks guys. All valid and intelligent points.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I recently ordered a Cayman S to replace my 335i as my DD, the only other car I really considered was an M3. The idea of driving a mid-engine sports car sparked my interest in the Cayman, and after one test drive I was hooked. The feel and handling are so different from a front engine, rear wheel drive car. I also wanted to get back into a naturally aspirated engine
I test drove an M3, and the pull and sound of the engine is intoxicating. It handles much better than my 335 and the interior seemed more solid and upscale also. It just didn't have as much wow factor to me as the Cayman. I didn't think the interior felt cheap at all. It was great being able to add ventilated seats, which you can't get in the BMW.
If I needed 4 seats, I would have gone with the M3 without a second thought and I'm sure I'd be happy with either.
For me, it was just time for a change, and the M3 is too close in styling to any other 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I sold my Cayman S to get the M3... I'm very happy with my choice. The Cayman S is an incredible car (as will be the R), but I always felt it needed more power.... if they would've given the R a bigger power-bump I would check it out... but a skimpy 10 HP more is just lame.
10 hp and -120 pounds from the S. 330 hp and 2855 lb. is hardly lame. The fact Porsche boosted power at all is nice and its power is about perfect for where the car is intended to excel, which is on twisty roads. The car is also 20mm lowered than the S and has far better suspension damping. Ultimately the driving dynamics between the M3 is measurable (between the S and R too). I'd take the R in a second if I was after the most fun car between it and the M3.
      05-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I recently ordered a Cayman S to replace my 335i as my DD, the only other car I really considered was an M3. The idea of driving a mid-engine sports car sparked my interest in the Cayman, and after one test drive I was hooked. The feel and handling are so different from a front engine, rear wheel drive car. I also wanted to get back into a naturally aspirated engine
I test drove an M3, and the pull and sound of the engine is intoxicating. It handles much better than my 335 and the interior seemed more solid and upscale also. It just didn't have as much wow factor to me as the Cayman. I didn't think the interior felt cheap at all. It was great being able to add ventilated seats, which you can't get in the BMW.
If I needed 4 seats, I would have gone with the M3 without a second thought and I'm sure I'd be happy with either.
For me, it was just time for a change, and the M3 is too close in styling to any other 3 series.
Good choice!
      05-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

For a DD I'd take the M3 every time.

The Caymen is a great slot car but for the rigors of every day driving I'd get tired of the hard ride and the climb down to get into the friggin seats.

Storage space=0 Not even useful coffee cup holder.

Where do you put the groceries?

DD car the M3 is superior. Caymen is much better weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

For a DD over the next 10-15 if that eventuates I'd say you made the right choice
      05-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
10 hp and -120 pounds from the S. 330 hp and 2855 lb. is hardly lame. The fact Porsche boosted power at all is nice and its power is about perfect for where the car is intended to excel, which is on twisty roads. The car is also 20mm lowered than the S and has far better suspension damping. Ultimately the driving dynamics between the M3 is measurable (between the S and R too). I'd take the R in a second if I was after the most fun car between it and the M3.
That -120 lbs is lame if you look into it.
Also, the 2855 lbs is lame to US cars. You will never find a cayman close to that number in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
That -120 lbs is lame if you look into it.
Also, the 2855 lbs is lame to US cars. You will never find a cayman close to that number in the US.
What, do you like the word lame? Doesn't matter. On this board, there's only 1 car in the world and all else suck. Neither car is a great DD. At least with the R you have a weekend toy as well, and something you could easily own for 15 years as a soon-to-be classic. In 15 years, the M3 is in a junkyard or abandoned in some vacant lot and shod with bald Uniroyals. No original owner will keep their M3 15 years! You can't say that about Porsches! Sorry if it hurts.
      05-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Bottom Line:

There is no wrong choice.
Both are great (but different) cars.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What, do you like the word lame? Doesn't matter. On this board, there's only 1 car in the world and all else suck. Neither car is a great DD. At least with the R you have a weekend toy as well, and something you could easily own for 15 years as a soon-to-be classic. In 15 years, the M3 is in a junkyard or abandoned in some vacant lot and shod with bald Uniroyals. No original owner will keep their M3 15 years! You can't say that about Porsches! Sorry if it hurts.
Ahh, don't get me wrong please. I have owned 4 pcars since 2008, I know how good they are. Also, I'm a fan of Pcar. I was just saying that the cayman isn't that light. At least the ones in the US market. I just weighted my 08 caymans last month, it was at 3271.6 lbs, about 7 gal gas in tank and I weighted at 150 lbs. Official curb weight for 08 manual is 2956 lbs. Despite all the light weight mods I have, it still weighted more than what I expected.

If this is the second car to OP, I would recommend Cayman for sure. One of the best Porsche in the market other than GT3.

Mods list for the cayman just in case:TechArt LED / TechArt rear wing / TA front bumper, side skirts & GT3 rear bumper / Recaro SPGx2 / Schroth 4 point harnessx2 / B&M SSK / Center Radiator / TTP Oilsafe kit w. Oil pan / Motorsport AOS / Quaife LSD / EVOM V-flow intake / EVOM RS350 ECU Tune / IPD Plenum and 82mm 997 GT3 Throttle Body Conversion Kit / Tubi Catback / TPC Racing Headers / RSS Pulley / RSS Harness Bar / RSS Tow Hook / RSS Sway bars / Moton CS / Eibath 450/550 / Brembo GT kit 380/345 / Endless ME20 / PCCB Head Cylinders / GT3 brake dust / OZ 19" / AD08 / etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I dont agree here with you. I presume you mean most cars will not weight that people people will add back options. Adding back radio and A/C is only 33 lbs.
The lighter weight of this car and the Boxster Spyder is def noticeable. The way is changes direction, the grip and the immense feel that only a Lotus or other Porsche's can compare to is astounding.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Is your E46 abandoned yet? I would kill for an e30 m3 as I'm sure most of us will. I'm a fan of Porsche but c'mon... You seem to be exaggerating a bit. You make it sound like the e9x m3 is a POS.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds about right. They are around 3150 lbs which is very consisten with your data there.
Quote:
That sounds about right. They are around 3100 +/- lbs which is very consistent with your data there. You also have to figure, adding larger brakes, a wing, different bumpers, and LSD, etc usually add weight instead of decreasing it. Same goes for the LSD

Keep in mind that my car has lots of weight saving aftermarket parts:
exhaust set up 40 lbs
seats 60 lbs
front & rear bumper due to aftermarket parts and modify stock f&r protection 20 lbs
wheels+tires 18 lbs
air pump 5 lbs
BBK 10 lbs
Moton Clubsport 20 lbs

The only parts would add weight to my car are:
twin oil pumps 8 lbs
LSD 10 lbs
AOS 5 lbs
harness set up 10 lbs
GT wing 20 lbs
4 piece carpet 8 lbs

So let's sum it up to the total weight, my cayman's curb weight should be weighted at 3050-3100 instead of 2950 like Porsche claims. I should have weighted it at the first place.

Again, cayman is really nice car, had DD'ed mine for a year, had done 10+ 500miles+ trips in the last 2 years. It's a car that never bores you.

However, there's a downside for it. Here's a quote from a mag
"Drive a Boxster or a Cayman, and most people will think you're just some jerk in a Porsche. You will suffer painful service bills. Carrera drivers will look down on you as though you're a poor Porsche wannabe (they're just jealous that your car has front and rear trunks). "
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Is your E46 abandoned yet? I would kill for an e30 m3 as I'm sure most of us will. I'm a fan of Porsche but c'mon... You seem to be exaggerating a bit. You make it sound like the e9x m3 is a POS.

SZ
My E46 has under 19,000 miles, is pristine, and has a perfect service history. Less miles than most of the DD E92 M3s on this board I imagine. Not the most common. But I bought it 18 months ago to perform DD duties to preserve my then Z4 M Coupe and now 997. I won't own it more than a few more years and one day it'll be rubbish (after it has changed hands a few times). I'd hate to see it when 15 years old. I'd hate to see the beautiful burgundy '76 2002 I once owned many decades ago (my first BMW). A E30 M3 is whole other deal than a E92. Of course the E92 is not a POS, but it'll never have the lasting power and desire of the E30. The E30 M3 is part of a by-gone BMW M era never to be seen again. The Cayman R, while certainly not near the most desirable of Porsches, is a niche model, low production, and will be a treat to own for years if well cared for.
      05-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
My E46 has under 19,000 miles, is pristine, and has a perfect service history. Less miles than most of the DD E92 M3s on this board I imagine. Not the most common. But I bought it 18 months ago to perform DD duties to preserve my then Z4 M Coupe and now 997. I won't own it more than a few more years and one day it'll be rubbish (after it has changed hands a few times). I'd hate to see it when 15 years old. I'd hate to see the beautiful burgundy '76 2002 I once owned many decades ago (my first BMW). A E30 M3 is whole other deal than a E92. Of course the E92 is not a POS, but it'll never have the lasting power and desire of the E30. The E30 M3 is part of a by-gone BMW M era never to be seen again. The Cayman R, while certainly not near the most desirable of Porsches, is a niche model, low production, and will be a treat to own for years if well cared for.
I agree on what you said about the Cayman R; I also think the new Spyder will hold a very sought after place in Porche history. I however, hope to keep my e92 as it will also be part a by-gone BMW era.....the NA V8 era. My next car will certainly be a Porsche, probably a GT3.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

If only car i'd suggest a M3 4 door. You'd never know when you need useable rear seats.

If 2nd car definitely Cayman R is the better choice. I personally went the Spyder convertable route
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

I wouldn't buy a car I'd be paying off the rest of my life. Best to buy an 08 or wait until 2012 so their prices fall even more.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I however, hope to keep my e92 as it will also be part a by-gone BMW era.....the NA V8 era. My next car will certainly be a Porsche, probably a GT3.
SZ
i too hope to keep my e90m3 as long as possible, but the reality is that unless asia goes into an economic depression, its hard to see how pump prices will fall. Even if asia goes into a recession, itll b a short term blip IMO.

The basis for S65 engine was engineered before the last 10yrs of oil rally i thk, so where do gas guzzling V8s stand in future when its just v expensive to keep? then comes wat the other post was talking abt classics being the ones which are kept. Will the E9xM3 be a collectible classic? its really hard to say at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

I'd like to think of it as a keeper. My car's are always low KM but I've never managed to hold down a car for more than a few years. Since this is a built to order one it would make ridiculous sense to trade up unless I absolutely have to. Plus, at 24 what exactly am I going to trade up for? I never trade up for a slower car and am at the boundaries of my affordability + I have a car coming that will be the last of it's kind = Sitting on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #22
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Cayman R is (in my opinion) a purely play car, weekend, track, fun. If I was in the market for a fun car it would be a tough choice between the boxster spyder and the cayman R.

For a car that I drive a lot I chose the M3 over the Cayman S - mainly because of cabin and cargo space and the ability to road trip the M3.
Appreciate 0