BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #23
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
Could you find your past messages and see if you can find him?
It was Nickco43 that did mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #24
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefermeister View Post
I know Nick's website isn't updated but he just set me up just a few months ago. It took a while for him to reply but he came through with the whole conversion and coding.
When I stopped taking orders for my kits in November I was still making CIC kits until the end of January. I had 15 people on my waitlist when I stopped. To this day I still get bombarded with emails and messages asking if I would make more CIC kits.

The main reason why I stopped making kits in November is that I graduate with my big fancy business management degree from Penn State in May and I am scared shitless that I am not going to find a job afterwards. I have been spending most of my free time trying to find a job. The other reason is that wholesale CIC parts have gone up 50% since I first started and creating a CIC kit for $725-$750 that meets my quality standards has gotten very difficult.

I have thought about making limited batches of CIC kits in the $1000 range depending what new deals I can make with my suppliers. If you lot are fine paying around $1000 for a CIC kit I will look into getting the kits going again. I would be nice to save up some more cash because I will probably burn through cash getting my life started in the next few months.
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
Davisca4552207.50
      02-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #25
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefermeister View Post
I know Nick's website isn't updated but he just set me up just a few months ago. It took a while for him to reply but he came through with the whole conversion and coding.
When I stopped taking orders for my kits in November I was still making CIC kits until the end of January. I had 15 people on my waitlist when I stopped. To this day I still get bombarded with emails and messages asking if I would make more CIC kits.

The main reason why I stopped making kits in November is that I graduate with my big fancy business management degree from Penn State in May and I am scared shitless that I am not going to find a job afterwards. I have been spending most of my free time trying to find a job. The other reason is that wholesale CIC parts have gone up 50% since I first started and creating a CIC kit for $725-$750 that meets my quality standards has gotten very difficult.

I have thought about making limited batches of CIC kits in the $1000 range depending what new deals I can make with my suppliers. If you lot are fine paying around $1000 for a CIC kit I will look into getting the kits going again. I would be nice to save up some more cash because I will probably burn through cash getting my life started in the next few months.
If you can make the economics work, don't shy away from side gigs. Especially if they're in a fun space. The corporate grind ain't all it's cracked to be.
      02-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #26
Kiefermeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

I agree with many here that Nick should continue this conversion. I think market adjusted price increase is completely legit with everything Nick provides in terms of solid equipment, direct text customer support during installation and after if need be. When he helped me, it was perfect experience with every harness being plug and play. Programming was ready to go. He checked all that before shipping the kit. And my kit plays DVDs whenever. Not that we do that often but nice touch.
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      02-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #27
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I will be making four more kits at $1000 each (post 03/2007, none HD radio car).

I have all of the parts on the way now. If anyone wants one send me a PM.
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      02-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #28
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
It can be done a few different ways.

What year is the part from? Or what date does it say on the front of the CIC on the sticker?
The kit that I purchased was out of a 2012 non M car. I'm hoping that it won't be too bad to get it all coded with my VIN. I don't want to use an emulator. I want the system to be as if it came with CIC from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #29
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1977 View Post
The kit that I purchased was out of a 2012 non M car. I'm hoping that it won't be too bad to get it all coded with my VIN. I don't want to use an emulator. I want the system to be as if it came with CIC from the factory.
You're in luck then.. I did the same thing on mine (came from either a 2012 or 2013 335) and since it has the newest firmware, there is an easy way to crack the certificate for the Navigation FSC code. It will works like OEM without an emulator.

At a high level, you install and code the CIC with your VO and VIN like normal. Once that is done, you should have a working CIC but Navigation will be greyed out. Then, there is a process to crack the certificate on the CIC and generate your own FSC for navigation.

Process for the FSC patching: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I did this pretty recently.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #30
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

you guys,

just go nbt everyone still pecking around with cic wasting time, unless you are getting a cic retro for free there is no point in retrofitting outdated technology into you car to deal with the issues of the iphones not pairing up and all that other shit.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #31
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
you guys,

just go nbt everyone still pecking around with cic wasting time, unless you are getting a cic retro for free there is no point in retrofitting outdated technology into you car to deal with the issues of the iphones not pairing up and all that other shit.
Send me the extra $$$ and I'll do it.

It's a huge cost difference. For CIC I will just be adding an Apple Car play or Android Auto module. It's the best value.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #32
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
you guys,

It would cost me about $1000-1200 to DIY a NBT Next into a CCC equipped e9x. That is more than double the cost of DIYing a CIC. When I did my NBT Evo into my 330i I spent $3000. Not a lot of people talk about how with the Evo you need a new $500 amp if you have logic 7 and with that amp you need new 8ohm subs. What about a backup camera? China cams do not work with the Evo and the best solution is to spend $300 on a OEM ICAM setup that requires cutting the trunk lid to fit. eNBT retrofits are a lot more difficult to do than CIC.

The CIC was in the X1 and Z4 until 2014. I would still call it a modern system and I have never had issues connecting any phone to the combox. I have had more connection issues with carplay with my NBT Evo than the CIC with combox.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #33
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

What about just upgrading the entire unit, like the Avin unit? I have CCC as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #34
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
What about just upgrading the entire unit, like the Avin unit? I have CCC as well.
Sounds quality usually isn't great.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #35
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I did the CCC to after market screen recently and it seems fine to me but I am not an audiophile and my car has the standard hifi. I feel like I moved from the dark ages to modern times and don’t notice any difference in sound. My only complaint with the unit I bought, which is touch screen, is glare. A cut down computer glare shield is helping but less than what I would like. I spent about $300 including back up camera. Installed myself.
Appreciate 2
911r891.00
      02-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #36
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
you guys,

As others have stated in this thread (and the last thread you brought this up), there is nothing wrong with CIC. The minor benefits for NBT are hardly worth the massive cost increase. Plus, CIC is nearly plug and play other than swapping the power connector for the LCD display. It doesn't need a $400+ adapter harness. It also doesn't need a faceplate swap for the buttons, taking apart the LCD and cutting shit, any weird emulator boxes, etc. CIC is a cleaner install with less room for shit to go wrong, considering it was designed for these cars. The bluetooth issues you mention are usually caused by outdated firmware on the combox which can be updated in 5 min with a USB drive.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #37
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I did the CCC to after market screen recently and it seems fine to me but I am not an audiophile and my car has the standard hifi. I feel like I moved from the dark ages to modern times and don’t notice any difference in sound. My only complaint with the unit I bought, which is touch screen, is glare. A cut down computer glare shield is helping but less than what I would like. I spent about $300 including back up camera. Installed myself.
Yep, not really getting the sound complaints people are making about the aftermarket android units...maybe we have an upgraded operating system or just installed it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #38
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I was able to retrofit my CIC for around $300, $70 for the head unit and $70 for the screen (got very lucky) and $150 for brand new cables and trim. However my CIC wasn't the latest version so I went out of my way and spent $800 for an ICOM cable and updated it myself.

This is the guide I followed, the only hard part was gathering the files and setting up the environment but in the end it works perfectly. The easiest part was getting 2021 Maps on it as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649066
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #39
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As others have stated in this thread (and the last thread you brought this up), there is nothing wrong with CIC. The minor benefits for NBT are hardly worth the massive cost increase. Plus, CIC is nearly plug and play other than swapping the power connector for the LCD display. It doesn't need a $400+ adapter harness. It also doesn't need a faceplate swap for the buttons, taking apart the LCD and cutting shit, any weird emulator boxes, etc. CIC is a cleaner install with less room for shit to go wrong, considering it was designed for these cars. The bluetooth issues you mention are usually caused by outdated firmware on the combox which can be updated in 5 min with a USB drive.
not trying to be arrogant about this topic I am just the energy to push members to get the newest and best solution possible, if the funds arent readily available save until you can afford it.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #40
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
but since you mention the last time I brought this topic up, the cost of cic isnt necessarily a nominal cost, if you want even remotely modern technology such as bluetooth streaming that puts you into the level of having to source a combox media but then you want to have apps like pandora? now you need a combox apps which more than likely is gonna come out of a wrecked car way outside of the 4 year bmw support, now what, at this point you'll need an fsc to make the unit work properly.

above all, if you want to carplay now you'll have to use some chinese made media adapter.

im not criticizing anyones decision but everyone keeps hyping up the cost of nbt meanwhile bpm is selling cic retro kits for $2100.[/SIZE]

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #41
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
It would cost me about $1000-1200 to DIY a NBT Next into a CCC equipped e9x. That is more than double the cost of DIYing a CIC. When I did my NBT Evo into my 330i I spent $3000. Not a lot of people talk about how with the Evo you need a new $500 amp if you have logic 7 and with that amp you need new 8ohm subs. What about a backup camera? China cams do not work with the Evo and the best solution is to spend $300 on a OEM ICAM setup that requires cutting the trunk lid to fit. eNBT retrofits are a lot more difficult to do than CIC.

The CIC was in the X1 and Z4 until 2014. I would still call it a modern system and I have never had issues connecting any phone to the combox. I have had more connection issues with carplay with my NBT Evo than the CIC with combox.
for some people oem integration is worth the cost, as for your carplay not working maybe you had bad software and/or hardware.

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #42
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sounds quality usually isn't great.
this, you loose every bit of sound quality when it goes through aux

G-Power Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #43
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
However my CIC wasn't the latest version so I went out of my way and spent $800 for an ICOM cable and updated it myself.
You could have got it updated for a lot less than that. But at least you have the tools now. It wasn't something that I would use often so I choose to have someone do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #44
skyrider1977
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're in luck then.. I did the same thing on mine (came from either a 2012 or 2013 335) and since it has the newest firmware, there is an easy way to crack the certificate for the Navigation FSC code. It will works like OEM without an emulator.

At a high level, you install and code the CIC with your VO and VIN like normal. Once that is done, you should have a working CIC but Navigation will be greyed out. Then, there is a process to crack the certificate on the CIC and generate your own FSC for navigation.

Process for the FSC patching: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I did this pretty recently.
Thank you for the info. I'll take you up on that when I'm going to get it installed. I'm holding off for now until I get a new CIC center console. Since I have the CIC controller, I'd like to have it in as well.
Appreciate 0