BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #199
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I never said main bearings! (they don't knock like that when they go).
And how the hell can you know that from an 11s video!? (for this car, not yours!). You can't, you're jumping to conclusions with hardly any info, you're the one who should be stoned and kicked out the forum!

I already mentioned that cam follower/lifter noise is a possibility in my 1st reply to him. And he only mentioned in his 2nd post that it had been doing it for 5k miles, so yes, much more likely to be followers, not rod bearings, but you can't be 100% about it! 99%? Maybe!

Oil pick ups vibrating?? Lmao, what are you talking about? Do you actually know anything about engines??
If they'd been flapping around that much to make that kind of noise they would have fallen off a long time ago, not to mention it wouldn't be rhythmic anyway.

Last edited by Assimilator1; 03-02-2024 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #200
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
This noise is not main bearing or rod bearing period! The next person that diagnoses this as rod knock should be stoned and kicked off the forum! Get that out of your head and move along. 225,000 miles, (2) rod bearing changes and I've had this noise since 25,000 miles and still get it now. Usually new oil does this and hotter days bring it out. Your engine is fine and there is no risk of damage. I believe it to be lifter related or maybe something to do with the oil pickups vibrating? Whomever figures this out will be receiving a care package from me for sure. Other than it sounding like a piece of shit there is no damage occurring. Sometimes the vanos bleed procedure helps quiet it.
Thank you. I’ve looked all the videos ( I think all) on the internet and I’ve heard so bad sound, so mine after that is nothing. The car came from a friend of mine and his mechanic said this sound was long time ago and he couldnt figure out what was that.
And here is the video with revving the engine to about 3k

Forgot to mention - rod bearings were done about 2k ago.

Last edited by ffyntik; 04-05-2021 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #201
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffyntik View Post
Quote:
This noise is not main bearing or rod bearing period! The next person that diagnoses this as rod knock should be stoned and kicked off the forum! Get that out of your head and move along. 225,000 miles, (2) rod bearing changes and I've had this noise since 25,000 miles and still get it now. Usually new oil does this and hotter days bring it out. Your engine is fine and there is no risk of damage. I believe it to be lifter related or maybe something to do with the oil pickups vibrating? Whomever figures this out will be receiving a care package from me for sure. Other than it sounding like a piece of shit there is no damage occurring. Sometimes the vanos bleed procedure helps quiet it.
Thank you. I’ve looked all the videos ( I think all) on the internet and I’ve heard so bad sound, so mine after that is nothing. The car came from a friend of mine and his mechanic said this sound was long time ago and he couldnt figure out what was that.
And here is the video with revving the engine to about 3k

Forgot to mention - rod bearings were done about 2k ago.
So this video is different than the one I commented on. The other one was a tick. This actually does have a thump to it. I would look at my belts, pulleys and idlers first. I would also spin my alt, PS and water pump by hand with the belts removed to see if any of them has a failed bearing. Lastly I would look at motor mounts. There could be a rocking with worn mounts creating that knock. If none of those I actually would consider internal issues like RB's. The thing is you wouldn't be able to run that motor very long if it were RB's. Every stroke gets worse until failure and it doesn't take long at all.
      04-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #202
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So this video is different than the one I commented on. The other one was a tick. This actually does have a thump to it. I would look at my belts, pulleys and idlers first. I would also spin my alt, PS and water pump by hand with the belts removed to see if any of them has a failed bearing. Lastly I would look at motor mounts. There could be a rocking with worn mounts creating that knock. If none of those I actually would consider internal issues like RB's. The thing is you wouldn't be able to run that motor very long if it were RB's. Every stroke gets worse until failure and it doesn't take long at all.
like i said rod bearings were recently replaced. i thought the same thing to remove belts and check pulleys. motor mounts were replaced when RB were done.
alright i know what im gonna do my next day off now))))
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 12:26 AM   #203
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
like i said rod bearings were recently replaced. i thought the same thing to remove belts and check pulleys. motor mounts were replaced when RB were done.
alright i know what im gonna do my next day off now))))
What codes are present?
      04-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #204
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yea that does sound quite different, but also it was harder to pick out the sound from other noises (I'm not very good at honing in on 1 noise).
It did sound like the noise was happening on the falling revs as well as rising, so I doubt it is rod bearings (plus you said you've had them done).
My money would be on a noisy cam follower still as it seems to be a rhythmic noise, but it's certainly worth checking the items that Scrippy mentioned (especially seeing as they're much easier to check!).

Keep us posted
      04-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #205
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What codes are present?
no codes, the car works good. im pretty happy with it. it just one noise that bothers me. i thought maybe even to remove ac belt and start it up see if the noise still present. ill find out in a couple of days. ill keep you guys posted
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #206
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Alright, had a chance to take the belt off and the sound is gone
so now have to figure what caused it. Btw the belt has some damage

could it make that sound?
and here are two wideos

and
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #207
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Alright, had a chance to take the belt off and the sound is gone
Power steering pump... odd noise, but yeah that's not right, oh and you know this but that belt is shot. Really nice detective work, Cheers!
      04-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #208
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hmm, interesting, I wouldn't have thought a damaged belt would make that noise (other damaged belts I've come across haven't), but seeing as you need a new anyone anyway, you just as well try it with a new belt to see if it makes any difference.
PAS pump is a good candidate now, but try the belt 1st anyway.
      04-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #209
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i ordered a belt and tensioner at this moment. should arrive soon. will try to replace one thing at a time and see what happens. will keep you posted guys. if not will order a PS pump
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #210
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Add mine to the list of cars with this irritating random tick/click noise. Recently did an oil change with Castrol 10W-60 as usual, and almost right after is the first time I heard it. It's not as severe as some of the others I've heard - I mostly only hear it as I start to roll out in first gear or immediately after I put it in neutral and the RPMs drop to near idle. I can get it to happen at idle by very lightly tapping the throttle to get the revs up to 1000 or so, but it's so intermittent and unpredictable. Also as others have noted, only happens when the car is fully warm. Interesting observation - when I drive the car hard, then park and shut it off for enough time for the exhaust to cool, then start it back up, the tick is gone, even after the oil gets back up to temp (which happens more quickly than if I were to start it cold in the morning). The tick then only returns after driving around for a bit. That's kind of making me think it has more to do with engine/exhaust heat than oil heat.

I may try Redline for next oil change. I've never used it before - anyone know what's the best weight to use?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #211
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i ordered a belt and tensioner at this moment. should arrive soon. will try to replace one thing at a time and see what happens. will keep you posted guys. if not will order a PS pump
Alright answering to myself
Replacing the belt did help! No more sound. I’m happy. It’s time to put everything back together now.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
Davisca4552207.50
      05-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #212
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Interesting! Must have been due to the damage in just a small area. Maybe a stone got caught in there?
Thanks for the update anyway, glad it was a cheap fix .
      05-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #213
rootyboo
Rep
Drives: E90 M3
Location: Midwest https://www.zeemaps.com/edit/OipJU3YRZ--aCe0y6wwd_zbN747XgVPt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja144 View Post
Add mine to the list of cars with this irritating random tick/click noise. Recently did an oil change with Castrol 10W-60 as usual, and almost right after is the first time I heard it. It's not as severe as some of the others I've heard - I mostly only hear it as I start to roll out in first gear or immediately after I put it in neutral and the RPMs drop to near idle. I can get it to happen at idle by very lightly tapping the throttle to get the revs up to 1000 or so, but it's so intermittent and unpredictable. Also as others have noted, only happens when the car is fully warm. Interesting observation - when I drive the car hard, then park and shut it off for enough time for the exhaust to cool, then start it back up, the tick is gone, even after the oil gets back up to temp (which happens more quickly than if I were to start it cold in the morning). The tick then only returns after driving around for a bit. That's kind of making me think it has more to do with engine/exhaust heat than oil heat.

I may try Redline for next oil change. I've never used it before - anyone know what's the best weight to use?
I'm having the same issue where ticking appears only when warm, and speeds up with revving. Liqui Moly 10w-60 about 500 miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #214
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
My PS pump makes this noise when doing that as well. Not sure what to make of it, may just be normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #215
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
My PS pump makes this noise when doing that as well. Not sure what to make of it, may just be normal.
He later found his belt was damaged, if yours is making the same noise when running maybe yours is too?
      05-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #216
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post
He later found his belt was damaged, if yours is making the same noise when running maybe yours is too?
My belts are new (and were fine prior to replacing). I just noticed this with the PS pump when wiggling on all the pulleys to check on them while the belts were off.

Actually the noise I'm having is a high pitch screeching noise, kinda like a slipping belt, but only while giving it more than half throttle after the engine is fully warm. Replaced belts and tensioners and idler but still there. Got new tensioner pulleys to install soon but otherwise I have no idea what it may be.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #217
ffyntik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
My belts are new (and were fine prior to replacing). I just noticed this with the PS pump when wiggling on all the pulleys to check on them while the belts were off.

Actually the noise I'm having is a high pitch screeching noise, kinda like a slipping belt, but only while giving it more than half throttle after the engine is fully warm. Replaced belts and tensioners and idler but still there. Got new tensioner pulleys to install soon but otherwise I have no idea what it may be.
Record some video so it’d be easier to tell what could be wrong
And yea, the belt was making the noise in my case. Not the steering pump
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2021, 12:19 AM   #218
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Just an update in case anyone's interested - changed oil from Castrol 10W-60 to BMW Twin Power and the ticking is gone. In fact, the whole engine runs quieter/smoother. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      07-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #219
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Still 10w-60?
      08-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #220
ajlyu
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hello all!

I made an account just to reply to this thread, I'll keep everyone updated until this issue is fully resolved

So far the diagnostic by the shop is as follows:
1. Definitely not rod bearing failure
2. Sound isn't coming from the internal parts of the engine
3. Sound appears to be coming near the intake manifold area

This is the preliminary comments on the sound, I will be bringing my car back to the shop next week, to which they'll be taking off the plenum to further inspect where the sound might be coming from

To avoid any confusion, this is the sound I'm referring to:

A little info about my car:
-2010 E92 M2 (Pre LCI)
-Currently at 14k miles
-Been using Liqui Moly 10W60

Hope this helps and I'll keep everyone posted!
Appreciate 1