BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #595
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

That would be awesome if it gets CARB approved. You wouldn't be able to keep chargers on the shelf
Hey Roman, did my friend call you about the RS?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #596
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
That would be awesome if it gets CARB approved. You wouldn't be able to keep chargers on the shelf
Hey Roman, did my friend call you about the RS?
Yes he did
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #597
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear View Post
I don't understand this part. I mean how are the people from california who install these illegal supercharger kits manage to clear the bi-annual smog inspections?

Is it one of those deals where you "pay a little extra" to get around the problem or is there a better way? This is definitely one of the fears that has me "on pause".
You don't need to get "bi-annual" smog inspections. You only need to smog the car if you sell it, and by then it should be back to stock anyways. If your car is less than 6 model years old, you don't have to get the annual smog check.
      02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #598
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

I often get asked by customers how many supercharger kits we have installed in E9X M3's. Currently we have 21 kits installed worldwide with another 4 scheduled to be finished this month.

Here a few pics of some of our supercharged cars

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #599
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
looks fantastic.... I'm trying not to go FI but all these supercharger threads is making it tough...m-m-mmmust reeesisst..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #600
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

yea this is getting very tempting....its such a reasonable price too!

an ESS supercharger for every M3
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #601
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

21 kits installed and 4 scheduled to be finished this month??
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #602
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

That will be 25 total ESS S/C kits within the next few weeks installed in customer's cars around the world!

Well Done!!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #603
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
I often get asked by customers how many supercharger kits we have installed in E9X M3's. Currently we have 21 kits installed worldwide with another 4 scheduled to be finished this month.
Are we going to see ESS & some of these installs at MFEST IV in April in Vegas?

MFEST Specials?

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #604
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
You don't need to get "bi-annual" smog inspections. You only need to smog the car if you sell it, and by then it should be back to stock anyways. If your car is less than 6 model years old, you don't have to get the annual smog check.
No smog test, well that's good to know. So the only risk you have is in getting stopped by a cop for speeding (or whatever violation) and then he decides to make you pop the hood?

I am just trying to assess the risk here guys, can you get caught and if so how?

I understand ESS wants to get CARB approval which is wonderful but this may take years. I guess I am just not as comfortable at being illegal as most of you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #605
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Not for nothing but everyone i take for a ride cant believe how stock looking it is and how smooth the power delivery is , and these people are owners of exotic cars .....
So im not surprised at the number of kits sold ...
What kills me is the mpg per tank 230 to 260 more power and more mpg go figure
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #606
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
No smog test, well that's good to know. So the only risk you have is in getting stopped by a cop for speeding (or whatever violation) and then he decides to make you pop the hood?

I am just trying to assess the risk here guys, can you get caught and if so how?

I understand ESS wants to get CARB approval which is wonderful but this may take years. I guess I am just not as comfortable at being illegal as most of you are.
The only chance a cop will be interested what you have under the hood is if you have a ridiculously loud exhaust. Even then 99% of the time they will not ask you to pop the hood. I think if you're this concerned with emissions a S/C is not for you.
      02-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #607
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z06

Quote:

If your worried about getting pulled over by a cop for a supercharger then I wouldn't get it. I'd be more worried about getting pulled over for racing, tint, tinted tail lights, loud exhaust etc.

Like someone else said if your worried about the visual inspection I bet there are places in CA that would look the other way, just like here in Texas...

As long as it passes the OB2 here you can find places that will pass the visual.

My diesel truck passed inspection and it's not stock either and it's very evident it wasn't in CA.

Have you ever seen a CHP/police in Ca pull someone over and ask them to open their hood? I never was pulled over there so I don't know, but I just have never seen anyone looking at their hood.

I think these supercharger kits are freaking amazing!! When I decide to pull the trigger on a new m3, you can bet your @$$ i'm sending it to get a charger, just a matter of who....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #608
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
Rep
Drives: A Car

I think what is nice about the ESS kit is that it almost looks OEM. I don't think they would know the difference, although I do not even live in the States - I am speaking just under assumption.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #609
DiVinci
Inspired
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

I thought it was you Mike. Welcome

Are you interested in an ESS blower?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #610
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
If a cop asks you to pop your hood open, ask him to cough up the search warrant. It's really that simple.
If he was a peckard he would tow the car,take you to jail and then cough up the warrant. I guess it all depends on whom you run into. I never ran into a bad one when I had the supercharger on my E46 ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #611
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
I just don't think it works like this.

OK, let's sort through this. He can't just take you to jail without charging you with a crime; and he can't tow your car unless it is involved in a crime, or unless he takes you to jail and it would remain parked illegally. A judge can't just issue a search warrant without some type of probable cause that the car is contains evidence of a crime (body in a trunk, drugs, illegal supercharger, etc.).

So if you ask him to cough up a search warrant, you're saying he can take you to jail. What crime is the basis for the charges and taking you to jail? Demanding for the officer to comply with the US Constitution isn't a criminal act (not yet at least). Demanding that he follow proper protocol to obtain a search warrant before searching your property isn't a criminal act. So where's the criminal act that's getting you thrown in jail and your car towed? Then after he's kidnapped you, illegally thrown you in jail, and illegally towed and possibly stolen your car, what is the probable cause he's going to present to the judge to get the search warrant so he can go on a fishing expedition?

Remember, the US isn't some 3rd-world banana republic.

As great as this sounds, I'm not sure that its accurate. Most chances are if you are being pulled over it's for doing something that is against the law, not because the officer wants to wish you a safe trip. Now I'm not a student of law, but its been my understanding that he/she can impound your car if you refuse a search. At that point it's up to a judge whether they have the authority to search your car (with a warrant I assume). Now I don't know that they can just throw you in jail, or place you under arrest without valid reasoning, even if most of that "valid" reasoning is very vague. However impounding your car is a totally different story. Driving is a privilege, not a right. It can be taken away quite easily.
      02-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #612
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
As great as this sounds, I'm not sure that its accurate. Most chances are if you are being pulled over it's for doing something that is against the law, not because the officer wants to wish you a safe trip. Now I'm not a student of law, but its been my understanding that he/she can impound your car if you refuse a search. At that point it's up to a judge whether they have the authority to search your car (with a warrant I assume). Now I don't know that they can just throw you in jail, or place you under arrest without valid reasoning, even if most of that "valid" reasoning is very vague. However impounding your car is a totally different story. Driving is a privilege, not a right. It can be taken away quite easily.
+1, Especially if you were pulled over for speeding.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #613
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I just don't think it works like this.

OK, let's sort through this. He can't just take you to jail without charging you with a crime; and he can't tow your car unless it is involved in a crime, or unless he takes you to jail and it would remain parked illegally. A judge can't just issue a search warrant without some type of probable cause that the car is contains evidence of a crime (body in a trunk, drugs, illegal supercharger, etc.).

So if you ask him to cough up a search warrant, you're saying he can take you to jail. What crime is the basis for the charges and taking you to jail? Demanding for the officer to comply with the US Constitution isn't a criminal act (not yet at least). Demanding that he follow proper protocol to obtain a search warrant before searching your property isn't a criminal act. So where's the criminal act that's getting you thrown in jail and your car towed? Then after he's kidnapped you, illegally thrown you in jail, and illegally towed and possibly stolen your car, what is the probable cause he's going to present to the judge to get the search warrant so he can go on a fishing expedition?

Remember, the US isn't some 3rd-world banana republic
In a 3rd world banana republic country you make one phone call from your cell phone and the officer leaves where in the US the officer will allow you one phone call after you have been booked in jail to call your lawyer
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #614
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

biglaire / others...Were you guys able to hit the 60-130 runs?
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #615
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
biglaire / others...Were you guys able to hit the 60-130 runs?
NO, the fricken rain prevented the runs last weekend!

It is on tap for this weekend again and the forecast is looking sunny! I'm dying to get some runs in, so this weekend should be it!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #616
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
NO, the fricken rain prevented the runs last weekend!

It is on tap for this weekend again and the forecast is looking sunny! I'm dying to get some runs in, so this weekend should be it!
Good stuff, looking forward to seeing your results!
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0