BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Valved Exhaust with Supercharger?

Hey guys, i just bought a 2011 e92 M3 with DCT. It has a ESS 625 kit and an IPE valved exhaust. I was reading through ESS's website, and it very clearly states that you should NOT use valved exhaust systems with a supercharger, as the valved exhausts do not have enough flow, and can cause adaptation issues.
I was wondering if anyone has run into any actual issues, and if i should go ahead and make the change to a different exhaust.

As a side note: kudos to ESS on the supercharger kit. Good lord this thing is fast. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Yes, never use valved exhausts closed when you do hard pulls. Regularly driving around its fine but when you have it closed you will lose power as the engine is not able to escape exhaust gasses fast enough. Far too much restriction and if you ever plan on tracking the car I'd get rid of the IPE completely for something else.
      03-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Thank you for your response!
So if i am correct, i can leave the valve closed while normal driving (wife in car), but when i am driving "spirited", leave the valve open for any hard pulls.
I dont plan on tracking the vehicle, as this is just a weekend car.
I really like the exhaust, but if i need to change it, then so be it!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

We are in the same boat

I have a weak valve on the left side and it opens if I go above 6k RPM so be careful. Also, since I had an akrapovic xpipe before, I had the joints cut straight and that opened due to pressure. Even-though we changed the clamps to better clamps I drive in a civilized manner when the valves are closed and open the valves while racing (Fines are crazy here).

I guess it is reasonable to say, yes a valved exhaust is not really the best combination with a supercharger
Attached Images

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // ESS 625 //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Im pretty interested in this thread. I have a full armytrix exhaust including their xpipe and im looking to go supercharged. I really don't want to give up on the exhaust because it sounds great and looks great. I drive over 3k rpm with the valves open all the time but I flip the valve off when going through town (3k or under and very light throttle) and backing into the garage. I know the armytrix X pipe doesnt have that restrictive hole in the X like the IPE so I imagine that it should have plenty of flow as long as the valves remain open much like other full x pipe exhausts.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone used this exhaust on their supercharged M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbot007 View Post
Im pretty interested in this thread. I have a full armytrix exhaust including their xpipe and im looking to go supercharged. I really don't want to give up on the exhaust because it sounds great and looks great. I drive over 3k rpm with the valves open all the time but I flip the valve off when going through town (3k or under and very light throttle) and backing into the garage. I know the armytrix X pipe doesnt have that restrictive hole in the X like the IPE so I imagine that it should have plenty of flow as long as the valves remain open much like other full x pipe exhausts.

Not running an Armytrix exhaust, but am running a valved exhaust with my supercharger.

Don't overthink it. I was in your exact situation before I supercharged my car.

Keep your valves open if you plan on doing hard pulls. Other than that, there's nothing to worry about.
      05-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Quote:

Not running an Armytrix exhaust, but am running a valved exhaust with my supercharger.

Don't overthink it. I was in your exact situation before I supercharged my car.

Keep your valves open if you plan on doing hard pulls. Other than that, there's nothing to worry about.
I appreciate the insight!

Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I appreciate the insight!

Thanks man
No problem brotha!
      05-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
We are in the same boat

I have a weak valve on the left side and it opens if I go above 6k RPM so be careful. Also, since I had an akrapovic xpipe before, I had the joints cut straight and that opened due to pressure. Even-though we changed the clamps to better clamps I drive in a civilized manner when the valves are closed and open the valves while racing (Fines are crazy here).

I guess it is reasonable to say, yes a valved exhaust is not really the best combination with a supercharger
I had this same problem even though I drive with my valved exhaust open majority of the time. Changed to v-band clamps and been great ever since.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #10
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / E36 328is

Does anyone know what the internals of some of these valved mufflers look like? Curious how similar or dissimilar they are across different brands..

The Armytrix website actually has a disclaimer that going over 4000 rpm with valves closed may damage the muffler (supercharged or not).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #11
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by d r i v e View Post
Does anyone know what the internals of some of these valved mufflers look like? Curious how similar or dissimilar they are across different brands..

The Armytrix website actually has a disclaimer that going over 4000 rpm with valves closed may damage the muffler (supercharged or not).
they're mainly just straight pipe exhaust with a small hole somewhere on that straight pipe that will direct / restrict exhaust flow through the muffler chamber to the outer exhaust pipe/tip.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #12
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

Ipe is fine just don’t run the x pipe. Also valves closed gets more torque down low.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
they're mainly just straight pipe exhaust with a small hole somewhere on that straight pipe that will direct / restrict exhaust flow through the muffler chamber to the outer exhaust pipe/tip.
Curious, are there any set ups that are not straight through/straight pipe with the valve open?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Curious, are there any set ups that are not straight through/straight pipe with the valve open?
there are some that do it, but still straight pipped in a way.

kreissieg (they have multiple sound levels to choose from), Frequency Intelligence, maybe meistershaft?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
d r i v e
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
there are some that do it, but still straight pipped in a way.

kreissieg (they have multiple sound levels to choose from), Frequency Intelligence, maybe meistershaft?
Interesting, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #16
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Most of them are. That's why most of them sound similar with the valves open.
Appreciate 0