BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Powerchip Review

I originally got this tune at the end of november. I took out my ECU and shipped it to Mike, I got it back real quick and wanted to test it out right away. So at first I couldnt really feel anything, expect that the idle was different and the throttle response was alot smoother. I decided to really test her out on the freeway, so i punch it and as it reached ~7000RPM I was hit with "reduced power". I called Mike right away, he told me a flash tool would be sent out to me and my file would be retuned. I think it was due to the low temperature and torque was being cut off. So I just got everything done yesterday and got a chance to drive the car today. This time around the car felt alot different, much faster and smoother. A couple key points...low end torque can really be felt and as the RPM's increase you can feel the added power...ill be getting a dyno hopefully soon, but I have to drive to Chitown....bottom line this tune really made this car perfect IMO and with the mods I have done.

Special Thanks to Mike and Jeremy at Powerchip,
If your looking for a tune hit up Mike, excellent customer service!mbenvo@powerchipgroup.com
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

Congrats! Thinking about getting the Powerchip tune myself. I have Gintani catback exhaust, MS filter...and thats about it. Can I expect a significant increase with just these mods??

Thanks!

Mike

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
srobmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
I originally got this tune at the end of november. I took out my ECU and shipped it to Mike, I got it back real quick and wanted to test it out right away. So at first I couldnt really feel anything, expect that the idle was different and the throttle response was alot smoother. I decided to really test her out on the freeway, so i punch it and as it reached ~7000RPM I was hit with "reduced power". I called Mike right away, he told me a flash tool would be sent out to me and my file would be retuned. I think it was due to the low temperature and torque was being cut off. So I just got everything done yesterday and got a chance to drive the car today. This time around the car felt alot different, much faster and smoother. A couple key points...low end torque can really be felt and as the RPM's increase you can feel the added power...ill be getting a dyno hopefully soon, but I have to drive to Chitown....bottom line this tune really made this car perfect IMO and with the mods I have done.

Special Thanks to Mike and Jeremy at Powerchip,
If your looking for a tune hit up Mike, excellent customer service!mbenvo@powerchipgroup.com
This is too funny. I think I sent you the Powerchip cables/software, etc directly from my house after I was done with it earlier this week. The guys sent me a different label to forward package to WI instead of CA. Did you catch the return address? Did it come from NY?

Anyway, the flash is fantastic and I am looking forward to being able to give the M a good shakedown if the weather cooperates any time soon. Best of luck to you.
      12-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Bimmer View Post
Congrats! Thinking about getting the Powerchip tune myself. I have Gintani catback exhaust, MS filter...and thats about it. Can I expect a significant increase with just these mods??

Thanks!

Mike
Getting the full x-pipe, either replacing the cats or giong catless and then getting a tune will yield you the greatest results.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobmw View Post
This is too funny. I think I sent you the Powerchip cables/software, etc directly from my house after I was done with it earlier this week. The guys sent me a different label to forward package to WI instead of CA. Did you catch the return address? Did it come from NY?

Anyway, the flash is fantastic and I am looking forward to being able to give the M a good shakedown if the weather cooperates any time soon. Best of luck to you.
haha yeah i noticed it came from new york, they sent me another label also its going to new jersey I think

yeah the weather over here was decent today so i had some real fun driving...but then it started snowing i hate winter lol

Quote:

Thanks!

Mike
as Mr Harris suggested you should look into an x-pipe with high flow cats or if you want your car to be extremely loud like me then go catless and then get the tune....you will definitely feel the power
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Haha, I might be getting it next. Located in Philadelphia - hopefully is coming in. Yea, the tune has been amazing - got it early October and worked perfectly until the last 3 weeks or so when I occasionally get an engine malfunction reduced power message on my I-Drive because of cold weather.

Hopefully this flash would solve the problem. Mike over at Powerchip replied within hours to my e-mail. Good customer service, very happy with them. That's how you run a business, good to know that they value their customers. Will definitely get their stage 2 tunes when I remove my primary cats.

-anderson
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

My Gintani catback is the perfect tone/growl for me. My fear with getting an xpipe was it being too loud. So xpipe with high flow cats won't change or increase the sound that much?!

Thanks guys!

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
Haha, I might be getting it next. Located in Philadelphia - hopefully is coming in. Yea, the tune has been amazing - got it early October and worked perfectly until the last 3 weeks or so when I occasionally get an engine malfunction reduced power message on my I-Drive because of cold weather.

Hopefully this flash would solve the problem. Mike over at Powerchip replied within hours to my e-mail. Good customer service, very happy with them. That's how you run a business, good to know that they value their customers. Will definitely get their stage 2 tunes when I remove my primary cats.

-anderson
my bad it is going to you lol, Philly...yeah the flash will fix the problem a few people had the same exact problem due to the cold weather change...i agree very good customer service....i should have it shipped out to you later today

Quote:
My Gintani catback is the perfect tone/growl for me. My fear with getting an xpipe was it being too loud. So xpipe with high flow cats won't change or increase the sound that much?!

Thanks guys!
look up some vids on youtube, it will def be alot louder but nothing like catless
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
simonlam168
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93-M3 F10-M5

I just got the Powerchip stage 2 installed my M3 as well.
The car is really crazy whenever you put your foot down the car goes sideways. it feels like a different car now.
      12-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

haha good to hear, considering to go for the stage 2 tune soon..

gonna remove my primary cats and put some sort of valve exhaust... so that I can actually daily drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
We have some Christmas specials that will be going on soon and there will be a group buy shortly in a few different places. Just have to make the arrangements

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0