BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #45
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
study
i would've said the same thing then thought to myself "no shit!"
      01-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #46
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Kaplan classes - class instruction with practice tests, prep books, etc. Definitely worth it in my opinion not only because I believe it helped me for the test but I was also able to pull mad girls from other schools also seniors looking to get loose before leaving for school.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #47
E92_335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
I winged it and got around 1300
LOL!
      01-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #48
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Here's what I did to get the best scores on the SAT that I could get:

-GET A DAMN GOOD TUTOR. That's my first and most important suggestion. Make sure he/she will be strict and thorough. Don't skimp on a good tutor if you think the price for his/her services is too high. Remember, the SAT makes up (around) half the reason why you get accepted into a good college. With that in mind it's always best to pay now and be rewarded in the long run.

-STUDY THE COLLEGEBOARD SAT BOOK. You know, the big blue one? Yeah, do lots and lots of that stuff. Set a goal for yourself: Try to fill out a test or two every week. Go back and learn how to do all the problems you missed. This is practically as important as a good tutor. Also, make sure said tutor uses this book.

-PREPARE FOR THE TEST PHYSICALLY. No, I don't mean workout or whatever. Get lots of sleep well in advance of the test taking day. Start about 3 days before you have to take it: Get lots of sleep (but not too much), eat well, and go into the testing room with a positive attitude.

-STAY FOCUSED. Make sure you have everything you need. Take a snack with you, like a power bar or whatever. Bring water and all the necessary tools like extra pencils and a calculator (obviously). Make good use of your time during the test. If you have extra time (ADD), then MAKE SURE YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.

-STUDY STUDY STUDY. Go over everything. Make sure you know how to do all the problems. Study the vocab, learn the math equations, practice the grammar excercises.

-WHEN WRITING YOUR ESSAY always make it one-sided. Never make your paper seem neutral. Just write as if your opinion is the right one. That's what they look for.

I managed a 1380/1600 and a 1920/2400. Not the best, but I feel that it's good for me nonetheless. Good luck with the testing.
---
Btw, once I did all that for the first test, the next few I kinda just did with less prep. Ended up getting a 1320 and a 1280 the next two times...didn't really care that much haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #49
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

im pakistani...i would fall under asian, correct? if so, that sucks...cause every college ive checked has a majority of asian students
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #50
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

do colleges look at ACT and SAT scores differently? as in one being "better" than the other?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #51
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
depends where you apply... some schools only accept one of the tests.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #52
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

i wanna say thanks to everyone whos helped out so far...ill probably have a few more questions as the days go on...please dont hesitate to continue to contribute =]
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #53
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
depends where you apply... some schools only accept one of the tests.
On the contrary, since i have finished my applications january 1st (i'm a senior in HS) i know that 99.9% of schools (including NYU, U Penn, and the other Ivys) accept either one equally and they are given equal weight.
      01-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #54
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
im pakistani...i would fall under asian, correct? if so, that sucks...cause every college ive checked has a majority of asian students
Yeah that's correct. My Arabic friend was so pissed off when he had to select Caucasian for the Stanford application, he initially thought he Arabic would have it's own section, but Arabic is a sub-section under Caucasian. He ended up not getting in for early decision.
      01-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #55
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

where did you apply??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #56
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
They'll take them equally, but if the demographics in your area show that one test is more prevalent than the other, then they'll wonder why you took the other test. If you're applying to NYU or UPenn, I would highly recommend taking the SAT over the ACT even though the ACT is easier to get a better score in.

I think you have a good chance at NYU, but UPenn is a reach school for you. Their average candidate's GPA is around a 3.8, with an SAT score of over 2200. This is if you're going to a regular public school though. Private school is a different story.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #57
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
They'll take them equally, but if the demographics in your area show that one test is more prevalent than the other, then they'll wonder why you took the other test. If you're applying to NYU or UPenn, I would highly recommend taking the SAT over the ACT even though the ACT is easier to get a better score in.

I think you have a good chance at NYU, but UPenn is a reach school for you. Their average candidate's GPA is around a 3.8, with an SAT score of over 2200. This is if you're going to a regular public school though. Private school is a different story.
yeah the type of school you go to has a say in the admissions process. Like some fantastic schools dont offer AP classes because their regular classes are already very rigorous enough therefore they dont offer the extra point on GPA calculations. Lets just say there is one guy that comes from a public school and another guy that comes from an excellent private school, they both have the same GPA, the same SAT scores, the same extracurriculars, the same etc. the university is most likely going to pick the guy from the private school because the assumption is that the private school offered a more rigorous workload.
      01-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #58
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
where did you apply??
I applied to 5 UCs (UC Berk, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, and UC Riverside) Stanford University, U Penn, NYU, Cornell, and Brown University.
      01-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #59
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaultOne View Post
On the contrary, since i have finished my applications january 1st (i'm a senior in HS) i know that 99.9% of schools (including NYU, U Penn, and the other Ivys) accept either one equally and they are given equal weight.
your pakistani? is your parent's a doctor by any chance? do you plan on doing business or undecided?

if you plan on doing medical, go to rochester. they have a great medical program you can get started in as a freshman.

also although if a college says act and sat are equal in weight reality is it really depends. if you have a kid with a good sat score and another kid with a good act score, most likely they will fall for the sat kid.

and the sat is more of a universal thing compared to act as some school don't accept act. i have never seen a school not accept a sat.
Appreciate 0