BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
RiCoda
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a E92 M3

Potential Buyer Questions

Hi all. i'm new here, just doing some research. I've always loved the m3's and will soon be in a position to buy myself what i call my dream car. So I've decided it has to be an e92 coupe auto, had manuals all my life, just want an auto now. my budget will be about 50k (buy outright, no finance). anyone got any hints on what i should look for or steer away from in the buyer market .. cheers Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoda View Post
Hi all. i'm new here, just doing some research. I've always loved the m3's and will soon be in a position to buy myself what i call my dream car. So I've decided it has to be an e92 coupe auto, had manuals all my life, just want an auto now. my budget will be about 50k (buy outright, no finance). anyone got any hints on what i should look for or steer away from in the buyer market .. cheers Dave
Patience and negotiate hard low ball with a fist full of cash for a post 2010 . Stocks pretty bOring so need to stash 5k away for an xpipe tune dct tune tranny and engine mounts and a dct full service. Much better car tweaked and if you dont like the ride height kw has springs are a good option
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
If you haven't already seen - This could be compelling.

2011.75 BMW M3 Coupe DCT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red 33k Miles, rod bearings done.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566867
      01-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
arthurtwp
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '12 1 Series M '17 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
If you haven't already seen - This could be compelling.

2011.75 BMW M3 Coupe DCT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red 33k Miles, rod bearings done.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566867
wrong country sir.. I think this is the Australian Subforums prices vary quite a bit compared to the states too
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I'm sorry man, just got excited for you! Best of luck.
      01-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
RiCoda
Rep

guess i should of added i've got my heart set on white with carbon roof .. it's going to be my one and only opportunity to purchase my dream car so i want to get it right ... i have seen some on car sales in the low 40's with higher k's. just wondering if they were the way to go and throw a set of bearings in at first opportunity for my own piece of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
guess i should of added i've got my heart set on white with carbon roof .. it's going to be my one and only opportunity to purchase my dream car so i want to get it right ... i have seen some on car sales in the low 40's with higher k's. just wondering if they were the way to go and throw a set of bearings in at first opportunity for my own piece of mind
If I was in the market for a white with carbon roof I would be after a pure edition post 2010 with circa 80ks and would not at budget at 45k. Then I would spend 5k on the car as I mentioned below and if you atre paranoid about rod bearings I would do them at the 100k service. I would also get a ppi and negotiate hard with results in hand. Might take you a whie to get one but you need to also develop a network outside gumtree. Eg Wrong mark but I could have had a mint b7 rs4 audi with 67k on the clock for 40k . Trade in price/ wholesale price was more but owner wanted a quick sale so they could negoatiote on a new car. Cash in hand ready to pounce on the right car is also a must. Ideally want to grab one before it gets on carsales.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
phillay
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

i would go the manual and not auto, after having an auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
reggiegums
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3TS View Post
If I was in the market for a white with carbon roof I would be after a pure edition post 2010 with circa 80ks and would not at budget at 45k. Then I would spend 5k on the car as I mentioned below and if you atre paranoid about rod bearings I would do them at the 100k service. I would also get a ppi and negotiate hard with results in hand. Might take you a whie to get one but you need to also develop a network outside gumtree. Eg Wrong mark but I could have had a mint b7 rs4 audi with 67k on the clock for 40k . Trade in price/ wholesale price was more but owner wanted a quick sale so they could negoatiote on a new car. Cash in hand ready to pounce on the right car is also a must. Ideally want to grab one before it gets on carsales.
I am also looking for exactly the same as you. I agree with everything said above. 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
RiCoda
Rep

I won't be cashed up till June, so at that moment i'm just studying up, reading forums and such for any info i think is relevant. this will be the most i've ever spent on a car so want to get it right cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiegums View Post
I am also looking for exactly the same as you. I agree with everything said above. 100%
@reggiegums. Note I said if. I had two twin turbo euro cars with circa 1000 hp combined and got rid of one and traded up to a stock 2010 E90 dct M3 about 18 months ago. Already have a two door and needed a 4 door us I reckon the sedan looks better except for those rear lights. If only they had the same rear lights as the coupet. Like most cars I buy, there is a light and day difference between stock and slightly tweeked. Stock ones have two many handcuffs on them that need to loosened, removed.

Not regretting going with a dct instead of a manual for a change. Downshift blips are highlight of the Car and not convinced you can get close to the dct blip exhaust note in a manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I won't be cashed up till June, so at that moment i'm just studying up, reading forums and such for any info i think is relevant. this will be the most i've ever spent on a car so want to get it right cheers
Understand, but why the heck aren't you out there driving some in the meantime. Eg pre lci vs post lci, pure vs non pure, tweaked vs stock. 4 door vs 2 door.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
RiCoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3TS View Post
Understand, but why the heck aren't you out there driving some in the meantime. Eg pre lci vs post lci, pure vs non pure, tweaked vs stock. 4 door vs 2 door.
None around where i live, i'd have to travel at least 4hrs to get to the closest one i've seen advertised
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Not a bad answer. For my two current cars ,brought them having never sat behind the steering wheel in either model until the Mrs pointed me in the direction of where the keys are. Pretty important you get a ppi from a respected BMW indi in the state the car is in you are chasing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #15
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

By setting yourself the task of finding an E92 coupe DCT in white, you've made your search a lot easier. There should be lots of them. I spent over a year searching for an E90 manual that met my search criteria. Only 4 or 5 came on the market in 12 months. However you'll have heaps of choices.
Right now on carsales, there are 62 E92s of which 46 are DCT. Of these, 11 are white. Of these 11, 6 have less than 100,000 km.

My advice is:

1) Think very seriously about DCT vs. manual. A few years ago, I thought I was ready for a DCT and bought a car from another German marque only to discover I REALLY missed driving a manual. It's taken till now to get back into a manual. I've kept my other car so now I can choose which to drive according to traffic volumes.

2) 2011 onwards LCI is worth it. Lots of little things are better such as higher def display. It's always good to buy one of last of a particular series once some of the little issues have been sorted out.

3) Decide on you max acceptable kilometres. For a car that's going to be 8 to 10 years old, it's amazing how many are around with only 70,000 km on the clock.

4) I think the sedan looks better and is more practical. That's just a personal opinion, so if you like the coupe, then go for it. It's the only way you'll get the carbon fibre roof.

5) If you can find a competition pack so much the better. I think the 359 wheels are vastly more attractive than the 220s.

6) Have a think about what interior colour is acceptable to you. Could you live with bamboo beige or silver grey? BMW have some weird exterior / interior colour combinations. With a white exterior most interiors will be black, but I have seen white with cream interior.

Have fun shopping Dave!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #16
dean87
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I've got a Pure Edition in DCT.
I've always driven manuals, but I love my DCT, doubt I'd go back.
I also love my coupe, and think the Sedan looks terrible.
I also love my cloth Interior over the full leather.

The point I'm trying to make is, everyone has preferences, and I respect everyone's above.
People above have made some good points which you should take on board. Its a shame you're not close enough to test drive any, but it would be better for you to do so so you could see what works for you!
      02-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #17
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

RiCoda,

Four hours to the closest advertised M3? Crikey, you must be out in the sticks. Might be worth a drive just to quiz the owner and kick a tyre.

You're doing some research before you commit, so a sensible approach, but I'd suggest getting in touch with an owner (not looking to sell) to get an understanding of their ownership experience to date. A few phone calls (or catch ups in person) might pay dividends in your learning/understanding of M3 ownership. That approach helped me (a bit) before I bought my car.

Cheers,
Hayden
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #18
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMisfit View Post
RiCoda,

Four hours to the closest advertised M3? Crikey, you must be out in the sticks. Might be worth a drive just to quiz the owner and kick a tyre.

You're doing some research before you commit, so a sensible approach, but I'd suggest getting in touch with an owner (not looking to sell) to get an understanding of their ownership experience to date. A few phone calls (or catch ups in person) might pay dividends in your learning/understanding of M3 ownership. That approach helped me (a bit) before I bought my car.

Cheers,
Hayden
Nah why dont we help a fellow member out. Eg if he sees one he is interested in post up the ad and we can all comment from price to forensic analysis eg macro zooming on in pics to see condition of paintwork eg dings chips and any orange and then opine on what it's really worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #19
RiCoda
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated ... i do have my heart set on a DCT tho, had manuals all my life, now it's time to kick back and relax a bit At the moment i'm on the waiting list for some new hips, so can't really travel to check any beemers out .. when it gets closer to the time i might jump on a plane and fly to Melbourne or Sydney (i'm half way between) i spend a fair bit of time browsing web sites on just general info and such, so i'm gaining a bit of knowledge as i go .... i have driven a few m3's before e36, e46 so i am a bit familiar with them. cheers Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
... i do have my heart set on a DCT tho, had manuals all my life, now it's time to kick back and relax a bit
I was the same. 25 years of several BMW ownership - all manuals but a couple of drives of the DCT had me converted. I've never regretted it for one minute!

Good luck with finding the right one when the time comes for you ...