BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
BashBosh
Rep
Drives: '08 E93

Winter Tire for PNW

Hi

Any thoughts on the best winter tire for the PNW. I'm thinking daily driver and no need to head over the passes (I'm not brave enough for that w/ RWD).

Looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW06 Plus or the
Michelen Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus.
I've also heard good things about Dunlop.

Thanks

Apologies if this has been discussed already (didn't come up in a search).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
mchang
Rep
Drives: E30 325i, E90 M3

I love my DWS 06. Had them on lots of cars and would highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

Performance snow tire - hands down

Last edited by Drv4fun; 09-27-2021 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Maybe not the answer you were expecting. I run summer tires year round, specifically Michelin ps4s tires.

Why? Modern top tier summer tires are the best tire in the rain. For that reason, i think summer tires are the ideal choice for a year round tire in this part of the PNW.

Rain is what we get around here. It doesn't really drop below freezing, and you might get a few days of snow in a year. On the snow days, just don't drive. Doesnt matter how good of a driver you are on those snow days, the risk of some moron crashing into you is way too high.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

No. Just no.

Winter or all season tires are about temperatures. Yes there are people driving their PS4S year round but they have highly compromised traction in <45 degrees, especially when wet. PS4S is the most cable summer rubber for cooler temps, but not good enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Maybe not the answer you were expecting. I run summer tires year round, specifically Michelin ps4s tires.

Why? Modern top tier summer tires are the best tire in the rain. For that reason, i think summer tires are the ideal choice for a year round tire in this part of the PNW.

Rain is what we get around here. It doesn't really drop below freezing, and you might get a few days of snow in a year. On the snow days, just don't drive. Doesnt matter how good of a driver you are on those snow days, the risk of some moron crashing into you is way too high.

Generally a winter tire will be better in lower temperatures.
For wet braking, summer tires don't do well below 50°F.
Interesting new tech in tires Michelin Cross Climate:

Testing:

See screenshot of testing data for wet braking distance vs temperature.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #7
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

I'd recommend the AS3+. I ran winters for a while when an M3 was my only car, and the dedicated winter is mostly unnecessary in this area. We may get a week of snow here in a year (and not every year), and in that scenario, I'd strongly recommend not driving the M3 anyway. A dedicated 4WD/AWD winter car is much better for that purpose. The only exception to this is if you in lived in Bend or somewhere similar.

I'm currently running my PS4S all year round, but that's because my Cayenne covers the cold/bad weather months. The M3 only gets taken out on the handful of nice, relatively warm days during the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
BashBosh
Rep

Thanks all. I was consider the PS4S for summer months and switching to a performance all season just for the winter months - as you've confirmed its not a good idea to drive the M3 in snow and I don't plan to (I tried this in my F80 and it didn't go well). However, its my daily driver so I wanted a tire for the cold and rain and thought the DW06 or the Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus might be the way to go. (I plan to buy a second set of wheels and swap 'em out in Oct/Nov).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #9
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I've run the ps4s year around since they came out and they don't suddenly become unusable when you drop below 40. They are definitely usable in the mid 30s, with a reduction in performance. It's at or below freezing where things get sketchy. The tires do not like ice at all (as you might expect), and performance really nose dives when you get into the 20s. If they hit the low 20s, the tires can enter a glassing phase where they can shatter if moved. They have to be slowly warmed up to 40 degrees to recover from that.

Anyway- the reason for stating that, is that the general seattle area winter weather is rainy in the mid 30s. Cold, wet, not quite cold enough to snow. Rain that isnt crazy heavy but persistent. The PS4S still functions in that temperature, and it is excellent in dealing with the rain. You can check any review of the ps4s tire to confirm its performance in the rain.
Appreciate 1
astris615.00
      09-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #10
Munich S65
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I've run pretty much every all season tires tirerack rates as better than average over the years. Can't beat AS3/AS3+, definitely works well in the damp wet PNW fall/winter.
Also ran conti winter contact on my other car and was great in the snow. I ran it through much of spring and part of summer as well and treadwear was great.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #11
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashBosh View Post
Hi

Any thoughts on the best winter tire for the PNW. I'm thinking daily driver and no need to head over the passes (I'm not brave enough for that w/ RWD).

Looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW06 Plus or the
Michelen Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus.
I've also heard good things about Dunlop.

Thanks

Apologies if this has been discussed already (didn't come up in a search).
I'm running Michelin AS4s on the heavier e93. That 400 pounds makes a lot of difference when comparing ride quality, etc but I'm very happy with them for summer driving and so far they're handling wet roads really well. They're rated for snow, no experience yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
BashBosh
Rep

Thanks all - seems most are running some form of AS instead of swapping tires/wheels over, is that true?

If so, perhaps a set of winter's and summer's is overkill and too much $$. CamasM3e93 are you running your AS4s year round ? - I'm also in an E93 and hadn't factored the extra weight.

Does anyone know if the AS4s are nosier than the PS4s+ (summer) that I have on there at the moment ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #13
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashBosh View Post
Thanks all - seems most are running some form of AS instead of swapping tires/wheels over, is that true?

If so, perhaps a set of winter's and summer's is overkill and too much $$. CamasM3e93 are you running your AS4s year round ? - I'm also in an E93 and hadn't factored the extra weight.

Does anyone know if the AS4s are nosier than the PS4s+ (summer) that I have on there at the moment ?
I plan to run the tires year round and it's my daily. I don't really notice tire noise as an issue. I run top down about 75% of the time and there's plenty of other noises to distract me, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

ive always ran PSS/PS4S and have always been ok. Only time it gets a little scary is if there is heavy rain, then it hydroplanes quite easily at 55mph. Basically at that point all cars will be going under that speed anyway.

I just use the snow socks + summer tire combo. I'm from the Seattle/Bellevue area so it's a bit warmer than most of WA
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #15
bugg
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 / '95 993

My new-to-me car has (somehow) PSS rears and PS4S fronts. They've been fine since I got the car in April but I'm still on the fence regarding whether to swap to all seasons for good this winter. Per Michelin the tires aren't supposed to be operated in <40F and the depths of winter here do drop down that low. I'm liking the performance on the Cross Climates but they would just look too chunky the rest of the year.

Any feedback on how the summer tires cope w/going downhill in winter? Major pucker factor just imagining going down Queen Anne or First Hill and having the tires glass out on you.

Last edited by bugg; 09-30-2021 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #16
IWantAnE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

I used to swear by the Conti DWS (which I still have on my partner's M Coupe) but I find the AS3/+ are much quieter with similar performance. I'll switch hers to the AS3/+ when it's time to get new shoes for her clown shoe.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #17
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I've run the ps4s year around since they came out and they don't suddenly become unusable when you drop below 40. They are definitely usable in the mid 30s, with a reduction in performance. It's at or below freezing where things get sketchy. The tires do not like ice at all (as you might expect), and performance really nose dives when you get into the 20s. If they hit the low 20s, the tires can enter a glassing phase where they can shatter if moved. They have to be slowly warmed up to 40 degrees to recover from that.

Anyway- the reason for stating that, is that the general seattle area winter weather is rainy in the mid 30s. Cold, wet, not quite cold enough to snow. Rain that isnt crazy heavy but persistent. The PS4S still functions in that temperature, and it is excellent in dealing with the rain. You can check any review of the ps4s tire to confirm its performance in the rain.
This. Have only ever used PSS or P4S year around. Did countless redline pulls last winter down into the 30's, and that's with 600hp+. No issues other than the obvious that the traction will decrease as temps get colder. No issues in rain either. I've done drives though passes (mostly dry roads) in the 30's as well. I've even driven that short road into Alpental when it was solid snow… would not recommend. 😬

All that said, it's not my DD either.
      12-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #18
Mimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 13'

Garage List
2013 e92 m3  [0.00]
Ps 4 all season 👌👌can handle snow and perfect here since never gets super hot except summer and that's only a few weeks tops ? Rains majority time and handles excellent in rain. A/s 3 … are so so compared the new a/s 4. Dramatically improved.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #19
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

If you have the garage/storage space for a second set, and can afford it, then just do it. I've had an E92 (335 and now M3) for the 5 years that I've lived here and run PSS / P4S in the summer with Pirelli Scorpions (previously Blizzaks) in the winter. I live at about 500' elevation in a neighborhood with no way out other than down long hills. Driven in fresh and packed snow/ice, no issues at all with the winter tires. Even the wife has been surprised at the stability and traction.

That said, if I wasn't on a big hill, and could park it or had a 2nd vehicle for snow, I'd take the advice of others and probably just run a great all season tire in the winter.
Plus, putting on a different set of wheels (black vs silver) is always a great aesthetic change twice a year!
Appreciate 0