BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

12-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Question Considering a 08 E92 M3...got some questions!

I've been looking at an 08 E92 M3 with the RD Sport RS46 motor in it. It's been through a few owners, but still low mileage @ 55K. They're asking 32K for it currently. They're going to be taking it to BMW to have the final PPI done today or tomorrow. Anyone know or hear anything about this car? I saw another user's post asking about this car as well. Just wondering if any additional information was found on this car. Granted I know it was probably driven a few times for test drives and what not. If the PPI comes through, should I have them send it to Munich Motors where it was serviced for an additional inspection or will the BMW PPI do? I've been looking into M3's for about a year now, and this one seems too good to be true. I was told by RD sport the owner had to sell it due to financial constraints.

Link: http://www.andersonnissanaz.com/used...589f62e176.htm

Thanks for the assistance in advance, and I hope to join the E92 M3 community!

335i Manual Swap Project http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207505
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
young dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Price is a bit high. If you're searching nationwide, try cars.com or Autotrader and see what's out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by young dude View Post
Price is a bit high. If you're searching nationwide, try cars.com or Autotrader and see what's out there.
You think so? Even though the engine itself is worth 25k? It was completely rebuilt @ 20K miles, so the engine only has 35K. With upgraded internals made to last and no worries about the infamous rod bearing problem. I'm not worried about 55K on this chassis haha. I've been looking and for newer low mileage i'm looking @ 40-45k...the only difference would be idrive and LCI lights, and both can be retrofitted without too much hassle.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I've been searching the last 4 months or so. I've found car gurus to be really helpful on pricing, particularly if you're looking nationwide. Gives you a plot of listing price/mileage for a particular MY car, so you can get a feel for where the listing lies relative to others, and evaluate whether the particulars of that car are worth any sort of premium.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Hit Redline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5

nick380 I had seen this car online as well as I have just started looking a few weeks back for an E92 M3.

Seems like a good deal to me considering the engine. The turn off for me is that its an '08 for the reasons you mentioned. I also don't care for the front grill (maybe its the lighting) or the rear bumper.

The number of owners and just too many unknowns here for me. I called logix and asked about 3rd party warranty and they said it would be around 8k.

Pretty sure a member here had the car prior to this dealer.

Best of luck and if you do pick it up and hope to see some videos.
N55 135i DCT, Pure Stg 2, JB4 map 7 E50, N54tuning Catless DP, VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, AFE sealed intake, Ohlins R&T, Voshlag camber plates, corner balanced, M3 front control arms, M3 FSB, M3 RSB, M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 rear wishbone, RPI quad exhaust, APEX Arc 8 wheels, Fuel-it stg2 LPFP- Fuel lines- E sensor, BMS OCC, Quaife LSD
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Car is gone..
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For those wondering, I have purchased the car. It's amazing to say the least. Needs a little work, but nothing I can't DIY. Engine didn't skip a single beat. I'm going to do the following this weekend: Engine oil, trans oil, diff oil, clutch bleed (engagement point is a little high, it had a brake flush done, but I don't think the nissan dealer knows that the clutch and brakes share the same reservoir and may have let in some air). I'm also doing engines mounts, and spark plugs as well. Might do the main drive belt and ac belt as well. and then the day after or next week valvecover gasket (passenger side has a tiny leak, nothing bad) The 7 hour drive back was wonderful and didn't have any issues.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
For those wondering, I have purchased the car. It's amazing to say the least. Needs a little work, but nothing I can't DIY. Engine didn't skip a single beat. I'm going to do the following this weekend: Engine oil, trans oil, diff oil, clutch bleed (engagement point is a little high, it had a brake flush done, but I don't think the nissan dealer knows that the clutch and brakes share the same reservoir and may have let in some air). I'm also doing engines mounts, and spark plugs as well. Might do the main drive belt and ac belt as well. and then the day after or next week valvecover gasket (passenger side has a tiny leak, nothing bad) The 7 hour drive back was wonderful and didn't have any issues.

Congrats on your the purchase. Sounds like a good fit for a guy like u. I have zero DIY skills (and not sure this is the car to start learning on either lol). Post pics! I recently bought a 2011 e90 zcp. I took it to an Indy guy locally and he tells me the car may have had a new engine put on recently. He showed me under the car, the engine block looked branded new and shiny. The BMW service records don't show any new engine. Mind you his car was a Certified Pre Owned. So any big expense item like that would have likely done under warranty. Since u seem you seem to know these cars well I thought I ask for your thoughts. Thanks. Happy new year and enjoy your new car!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Congrats on your the purchase. Sounds like a good fit for a guy like u. I have zero DIY skills (and not sure this is the car to start learning on either lol). Post pics! I recently bought a 2011 e90 zcp. I took it to an Indy guy locally and he tells me the car may have had a new engine put on recently. He showed me under the car, the engine block looked branded new and shiny. The BMW service records don't show any new engine. Mind you his car was a Certified Pre Owned. So any big expense item like that would have likely done under warranty. Since u seem you seem to know these cars well I thought I ask for your thoughts. Thanks. Happy new year and enjoy your new car!
Yes I am very DIY oriented, I've done my own manual swap on my 335i and replaced all the bushings including the whole rear subframe. I dropped the subrame on the street side with little problems. The M3 has some of it's bushings solid in the rear, so even less work required as those wouldn't ever need to replaced. The reason I've decided to work on the vehicles myself is because I had a very bad experience at the dealer with them leaving my front subframe bolts loose and fucking up my valvecover 3 times....Sounds to me like that engine may have blown up due to the rod bearing issue and may have needed a replacement engine, which would be ideal for you, because now you have a brand new engine . Orrrrr they could've replaced the rod bearings and when they did clean up the underside real good. If the whole block looks new, then either they did a really good cleaning job or it was replaced. Either way as long as it sounds healthy (no rod bearing noise (like skateboard wheels) and pulls strong I wouldn't be worried about it. Also do you know the shop that did the work? Call and ask them for any prior work done tot he vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
Yes I am very DIY oriented, I've done my own manual swap on my 335i and replaced all the bushings including the whole rear subframe. I dropped the subrame on the street side with little problems. The M3 has some of it's bushings solid in the rear, so even less work required as those wouldn't ever need to replaced. The reason I've decided to work on the vehicles myself is because I had a very bad experience at the dealer with them leaving my front subframe bolts loose and fucking up my valvecover 3 times....Sounds to me like that engine may have blown up due to the rod bearing issue and may have needed a replacement engine, which would be ideal for you, because now you have a brand new engine . Orrrrr they could've replaced the rod bearings and when they did clean up the underside real good. If the whole block looks new, then either they did a really good cleaning job or it was replaced. Either way as long as it sounds healthy (no rod bearing noise (like skateboard wheels) and pulls strong I wouldn't be worried about it. Also do you know the shop that did the work? Call and ask them for any prior work done tot he vehicle.
Yep. Block looks to New for just a clean up. Could they have changed just the "block"? Or is the block essentially the engine?Sorry I'm not very familiar w engine components. Also got the car from a dealership w no records but I know someone st BMW who sent me the service records under warranty. And since the car was a CPO I thought it was a safe bet.
Appreciate 0