BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

BPM

09-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 stick zcp [F30/zhp/E60]

UPDATE - Purchased a 2011 sedan, stick, comp pkg, mileage <45k

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
U P D A T E - Very lucky to have purchased a fantastic car listed on our forum last month. Truly honored to be the buyer, for car has been taken care so well and has very tasteful mods. I hope I can follow his footsteps when it came to the maintenance and care.

Thanks a ton to those who have chimed on during my search, especially those like Boof and Derbo who quickly became close friends. I wouldn't have got this wonderful car had it not been for Boof looking out for me and alerting me.

This thread has many of valuable nuggets and guidance from many and so I will keep referring to this.

So begins my new journey of enjoying a rare car, and participating in other threads under other subjects related to our wonderful E9xs.

What a great site and helpful members! THANKS A LOT EVERYONE!

===============

Hello folks,

I have had a few 5 series and a stick zhp in my last 10 years and am keen on trying out a stick M3 sedan with competition package.

Since I am unable to do any DIY in my condo's garage- and my trusted mechanic is 1.5 hours away - I am extremely particular in getting a low mileage one so that I can keep the maintenance to the minimum. So, if you have - or know something - that meets my requirements, please respond or PM me. .

I can pay full cash and so no worries on the $ front. Bummed that I missed a space gray stick sedan ($37k, 38k miles) that was listed on roundel two weeks back; I was traveling abroad and the car was gone by the time I returned. Oh well, it is what it is.

So.....to summarize:

WTB 2011 E90 M3 sedan
No accidents or issues
Low mileage - < 40-45k
Manual Transmission

Must have options - Competition Package (ZCP)

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited by BimmerRules!; 03-19-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      09-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I hunted for almost a year for a 2011 E90 6MT slicktop back in 2012. At the time I didn't want the ZCP since I intended on autocrossing in F-stock class and this was before the SCCA opened up the rules to allow wheel diameter changes (i.e. non-existent selection then for the best tires in 19" sizes).

Anyway, I ended up finding an as-new condition one but in Silverstone (last color choice) with 14k miles, still under warranty for 2.5 years plus CPO after that, so I bought it. It wasn't until afterward that I ran the production numbers to find out that only ~180 slicktop 6MT 2011 E90s were imported, so I was hunting in a very small pool of potential cars. If you add ZCP to this mix, you're probably looking at less than 100 cars. It may take a while...good luck.

Regards,
Chuck

P.S. That factory warranty and then the BMW CPO warranty I had on my car...never needed. 100% perfect through the entire time.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      09-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
E90Mack
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x

Garage List
2011 E90  [6.00]
2006 X3 2.5  [0.00]
My friend is selling a 2008 M3, about 42,000, MT, slicktop, sliver with the red interior. I'm not sure on the ZCP package. It had a rod bearing failure, and the BMW dealer put in a new engine, transmision, and flywheel. It has about 18 months left on the BMW warranty on those parts. Car looks to me to be really clean. you are in the same range on price. I'm not selling it but I can put you in touch if you are interested. Car is in the SF Bay area.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

ZCP was only available for 2011 on the sedan (2011-2013 coupe).
Appreciate 1
Titan942.50
      09-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback Chuck, will bear that in mind.

I am neither desperate nor in a hurry, as this is going to be my w/end and long trip car.

You also make a nice point that you never had to touch the CPO or original warranty. I suspect that is what happens for more than 95% of the cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
cognoscenti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 6MT ZCP MR

Best of luck, OP. Stay patient and engaged, and the right one will come up. It took me almost 1.5 years to find mine, but I was stuck on only one color. If you are ok with white or black, you'll find one much sooner!

EDIT: forgot to mention that the E90 M3 is not really a long trip car, unless you mean two-lane twisties! The 6MT needs a seventh gear it does not have to bring back the revs - it never loafs comfortably like an E39 M5, or gives you that highway middle-tach sewing machine smoothness of an E46 ZHP. No, the E90 growls and asks for you to push. I recommend trying one out on the freeway at your desired cruise velocity before buying.

Last edited by cognoscenti; 09-06-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
Best of luck, OP. Stay patient and engaged, and the right one will come up. It took me almost 1.5 years to find mine, but I was stuck on only one color. If you are ok with white or black, you'll find one much sooner!

EDIT: forgot to mention that the E90 M3 is not really a long trip car, unless you mean two-lane twisties! The 6MT needs a seventh gear it does not have to bring back the revs - it never loafs comfortably like an E39 M5, or gives you that highway middle-tach sewing machine smoothness of an E46 ZHP. No, the E90 growls and asks for you to push. I recommend trying one out on the freeway at your desired cruise velocity before buying.
My E39 M5, even with the Dinan stage 3 suspension and GC camber plates, rides like a limo compared to my E90 M3. I have the non-EDC shocks but also have Dinan front and Eibach rear sway bars on the M3. Of course the M5 has a Dinan rear sway bar also. Anyway, much different highway cruising experience as you state.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hmm....this is a splendid insight and I gotta admit, i took highway drives for granted. I do a 500 mile round trip once a quarter - and thought of others -, and so this is something I should bear in mind. Will try to test drive one before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Last edited by BimmerRules!; 09-07-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
My E39 M5, even with the Dinan stage 3 suspension and GC camber plates, rides like a limo compared to my E90 M3. I have the non-EDC shocks but also have Dinan front and Eibach rear sway bars on the M3. Of course the M5 has a Dinan rear sway bar also. Anyway, much different highway cruising experience as you state.
Since you both the 2011.5 stick shift M3 and the E39 M5 (which I presume is automatic), may I bother you to share your opinions on the engagement and ride of the two vehicles in local roads and highways please?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRules! View Post
Since you both the 2011.5 stick shift M3 and the E39 M5 (which I presume is automatic), may I bother you to share your opinions on the engagement and ride of the two vehicles in local roads and highways please?

Thanks in advance.
E39 M5s were ONLY produced with 6MT (like a proper sports sedan, lol)...the last thing on earth BMW M would have done back then was put a slushbox in the E39 M5.

The E39 M5 is breaking out upward in pricing power for low mileage superb condition examples (mine has 65k miles, 24/7 garaged since new, etc), so cars like this one aren't something most people would pay up for to then put into daily driver service (i.e. $30k to well over $100k for very low mileage examples). Plenty of high mileage, well-used daily driver type examples are on the market -- just note that costs to fix issues/maintain those cars could be a large portion of the purchase price. M5board is your friend here.

I'll post some thread links of comparisons I posted about over on the M5board in the past. Feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind after reading those.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post6948553

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post5126801

Regards,
Chuck
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Good post Chuck and great point on the slushbox. I promise I'm not trying to preach DCT vs 6MT. I'm just adding to the discussion as I consider Rajan/OP a very good "internet friend". And thank you Rajan for reaching out to me several times while Irma was barreling down on my family and home. Your prayers and thoughts meant a lot to me and my family and we thank you for that.

Back to the discussion. As we all know there are several reasons for BMW and most all manufacturers moving full time to automatics. Many of the reasons I do not agree with as I am sure you guys do not either, such as self driving vehicles. We know that this is what the future holds as most vehicles will be electric and or driving themselves in the near future. The need to change gears and press pedals will soon be a way of the past. The new generation of drivers will think that it only makes sense as every generation looks at the last as being behind in the times. I'm not sure how but my kid loves Zeppelin, Bowie and the Beatles but asks why did mommy own a car (VW) with a manual when it's easier to drive an automatic? But one reason for the change that I do agree with is that the DCT is faster. Plain and simple I based my two M purchases on which transmission makes my car move faster. It doesn't make my purchases any more valid than a 6MT purchase but it was the deciding factor nonetheless. Without a doubt the 6MT cars will be and currently are much more desirable to the core and certainly to the collectors. Lastly, to your point, I miss the hell out of driving a manual. I think about it every time I get into the car. I second guess myself every day. It's a good problem to have as the M series in any incarnation puts a smile on my face the moment I realize I'm about to get into them. I just wish they made an actual manual that could go part time automatic if one desired. Now that would have been a game changer for all of us.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Hello folks,

I have had a few 5 series and a stick zhp in my last 10 years and am keen on trying out a stick M3 sedan with competition package.

Since I am unable to do any DIY in my condo's garage- and my trusted mechanic is 1.5 hours away - I am extremely particular in getting a low mileage one so that I can keep the maintenance to the minimum. So, if you have - or know something - that meets my requirements, please respond or PM me. .

I can pay full cash and so no worries on the $ front. Bummed that I missed a space gray stick sedan ($37k, 38k miles) that was listed on roundel two weeks back; I was traveling abroad and the car was gone by the time I returned. Oh well, it is what it is.

So.....to summarize:

WTB 2011 E90 M3 sedan
No accidents or issues
Low mileage - < 40-45k
Manual Transmission

Must have options - Competition Package (ZCP)

Thanks for the attention.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2493/overview/

It's the perfect car for you if you are okay with the price. I would've swoop this one up if it was around 40k-42k.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2493/overview/

It's the perfect car for you if you are okay with the price. I would've swoop this one up if it was around 40k-42k.

Thanks for the link! Appreciate it.

Enthusiast Auto Group emailed me today about this same listing when they got back to me on the other space gray (with red interior) that I had inquired about.

I mention that original listing in my opening thread; quick background - EAG picked it up from the Roundel member two weeks back when that member listed it on Roundel for $38k I think; I assume EAG have a feed to monitor the online listings on roundel too - for they had purchased it within a day, did the PPI + new tires, and sold it for $50k last week!

Impressed with their speed, and can only wish their mark up wasn't that much. But then, they are in this business for making money. As long as there is someone prepared to pay their asking price, why would they want to reduce their margins?

Unfortunately I don't belong in that group. At their prices, which I know were at least $7k to $10k cheaper just a week before when they purchased from a private seller + the hefty sales tax that I will pay, I doubt if I will remember to enjoy the car.

At the same time, there are enough experienced members who have convinced me that stick is probably not suited for this V8 and that DCT is excellent and preferable if one desires speed. So, who knows....though I am searching more for feel than speed, and plan to be patient as guided by other members, I might just drop the manual requirement and shift () to DCT since they are available at reasonable prices.

Thanks again for the link, good luck with your search assuming you are also searching.

Last edited by BimmerRules!; 09-11-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      09-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Appreciate it.

Enthusiast Auto Group emailed me today about this same listing when they got back to me on the other space gray (with red interior) that I had inquired about.

I mention that original listing in my opening thread; quick background - EAG picked it up from the Roundel member two weeks back when that member listed it on Roundel for $38k I think; I assume EAG have a feed to monitor the online listings on roundel too - for they had purchased it within a day, did the PPI + new tires, and sold it for $50k last week!

Impressed with their speed, and can only wish their mark up wasn't that much. But then, they are in this business for making money. As long as there is someone prepared to pay their asking price, why would they want to reduce their margins?

Unfortunately I don't belong in that group. At their prices, which I know were at least $7k to $10k cheaper just a week before when they purchased from a private seller + the hefty sales tax that I will pay, I doubt if I will remember to enjoy the car.

At the same time, there are enough experienced members who have convinced me that stick is probably not suited for this V8 and that DCT is excellent and preferable if one desires speed. So, who knows....though I am searching more for feel than speed, and plan to be patient as guided by other members, I might just drop the manual requirement and shift () to DCT since they are available at reasonable prices.

Thanks again for the link, good luck with your search assuming you are also searching.
You're welcome bud!

I am indeed looking for one as well. I just cant justify that "EAG" tax to even enjoy it. I just actually sold my 04 330i ZHP 2 weeks ago and looking for the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
cognoscenti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 6MT ZCP MR

Guys, drive both DCT and 6MT cars before deciding which is right for you. They both have their charms!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      09-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #16
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
E39 M5s were ONLY produced with 6MT (like a proper sports sedan, lol)...the last thing on earth BMW M would have done back then was put a slushbox in the E39 M5.

The E39 M5 is breaking out upward in pricing power for low mileage superb condition examples (mine has 65k miles, 24/7 garaged since new, etc), so cars like this one aren't something most people would pay up for to then put into daily driver service (i.e. $30k to well over $100k for very low mileage examples). Plenty of high mileage, well-used daily driver type examples are on the market -- just note that costs to fix issues/maintain those cars could be a large portion of the purchase price. M5board is your friend here.

I'll post some thread links of comparisons I posted about over on the M5board in the past. Feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind after reading those.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post6948553

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post5126801

Regards,
Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks a ton for the feedback and those fascinating links! I didn't respond right away as I wanted to read some of the points you made and once I started to, I wanted to quickly tip my hat off to you for sharing such splendid details and insights that I can never pick up by just browsing the sites.

Mark and you have been extraordinarily helpful in my search. And as Mark mentioned once, the search itself has become enjoyable that I am now smiling - and admiring - the ability of EAG to swoop in so quickly.

So, thank you.

And I will PM you later if I have any specific questions.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #17
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys, drive both DCT and 6MT cars before deciding which is right for you. They both have their charms!
Wise suggestion - and Mark graciously offered his car if I ever come down to FL - but I am in NJ/NYC area, where we frown with suspicsion even at a hello. Half kidding.

Would love to drive a stick on a the highway and decide both the shifting points and whether it might be better with a 7th gear as some of you mentioned.

I actually drove a M4 DCT last month and was stunned at what the car can go. But I got to admit - this was at a BMW event and there was a long line of persons wanting to drive it. So, though I did a high speed run, I don't think I played with the DCT and think I shifted the gears just like I would do in a sequential gear box driven in the manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #18
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Wise suggestion - and Mark graciously offered his car if I ever come down to FL - but I am in NJ/NYC area, where we frown with suspicsion even at a hello. Half kidding.

Would love to drive a stick on a the highway and decide both the shifting points and whether it might be better with a 7th gear as some of you mentioned.

I actually drove a M4 DCT last month and was stunned at what the car can go. But I got to admit - this was at a BMW event and there was a long line of persons wanting to drive it. So, though I did a high speed run, I don't think I played with the DCT and think I shifted the gears just like I would do in a sequential gear box driven in the manual mode.
Lol Rajan, I'm from Long Island. But if you ever do make it to St Pete I have two M3's so you are more than welcome cruise in your very own DCT operated vehicle for the paltry rate of $159 per day not including insurance $12 per day airport pickup for two $30. At that rate stay as long as you like.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #19
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I personally am looking for that HPDE/Weekend Warrior. I want that 6MT.

But..since it is so rare, I might be opening up to finding a coupe that checks all the boxes except the 2 extra doors.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I personally am looking for that HPDE/Weekend Warrior. I want that 6MT.

But..since it is so rare, I might be opening up to finding a coupe that checks all the boxes except the 2 extra doors.
The option of hunting for a coupe opens up LOTS more choice especially since you can now hunt from 2012 and 2013 models. Most of the coupes are slicktops (carbon roof) also, so it's a much easier car to find. Color choices are so much easier to meet too with a slick roof and 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
The option of hunting for a coupe opens up LOTS more choice especially since you can now hunt from 2012 and 2013 models. Most of the coupes are slicktops (carbon roof) also, so it's a much easier car to find. Color choices are so much easier to meet too with a slick roof and 6MT.
Agreed! The search results of 10 results (most were mislabeled as 6MT) is now 50 results. I am not in an immediate rush so that is on my side while I search.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #22
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Lol Rajan, I'm from Long Island. But if you ever do make it to St Pete I have two M3's so you are more than welcome cruise in your very own DCT operated vehicle for the paltry rate of $159 per day not including insurance $12 per day airport pickup for two $30. At that rate stay as long as you like.
Ha-hah! I am going to hold you to those rates!!

Loved the St. Pete area btw; was there in 2011 and almost purchased an investment home in New Tampa.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00