BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

performance exhaust (eisenmann) decrease power?

so i went to a pretty well reputated tuning company in the east coast last weekend to look around and ask about my future mods, and particularly, i asked how much power an eisenmann race would produce on my car.
the owner said it in fact is going to decrease power due to lowered backpressure compared to the stock system. is this true? seems hard to believe, because isn't the second most sought after effect of an aftermarket exhaust the power? (after sound obviously)

nonetheless, he said a tune would fix it and bump (he assumes) 40hp overall. he provides cobb tuning.
what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
There are few dynos on the forum with Eisenmann Race installed on M3s. Some have reported an increase of 6-9whp whereas few vendors say 15whp. Either way, none have shown a lost in power.

They just mufflers after all.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 03-01-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Don't ever set foot into that so called reputable shop ever again.

Reducing backpressure won't decrease power, period. Sometimes it can affect low end torque by shifting the torque peak to the right a bit but it won't reduce peak power.

To answer your question on how much power to expect, the answer is very little, expect 1-3 HP max from an axle back exhaust. Power gains from exhausts on the M3 (and most cars for that matter) are made by removing the cats or adding highflow cats. Axle back exhausts are for sound and not performance.

If you want a nice sound put on a muffler. If you want a performance gain add an x-pipe with high flow cats or even better, no cats at all.
      03-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

That guy is seriously uninformed! Like the above people said small gains but no losses...

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post

Reducing backpressure won't decrease power, period. Sometimes it can affect low end torque by shifting the torque peak to the right a bit but it won't reduce peak power.

To answer your question on how much power to expect, the answer is very little, expect 1-3 HP max from an axle back exhaust. Power gains from exhausts on the M3 (and most cars for that matter) are made by removing the cats or adding highflow cats. Axle back exhausts are for sound and not performance.

If you want a nice sound put on a muffler. If you want a performance gain add an x-pipe with high flow cats or even better, no cats at all.
Damn Strait +1

That guy's just another [sic] tuner who learned the business from magazine articles.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post

+1

BMW i imagine is banking on people buying this system so they can have a differnt more aggressive sounding note without having to void their warranty.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Cobb can't tune an M3 anyway, so run far far away from this guy
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

If there was a rear section + tune that could produce 40RWHP we would all have it. This guy is 100% wrong on everything. Full catless exhausts from reputable companies like Dinan and Akrapovic only claim 25HP with a tune. Check Dinan's site for their "white paper" article on backpressure. It's a good read.
      03-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

thanks for the responses guys - i appreciate it. seems like he might have been misinformed about NA engines. he tunes a lot of GTR's, evo's, and such... a lot of japanese performance cars, so that might have influenced his perception.
anyway, a member here got his exhaust installed by them as well, and it looks like a very clean install!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidjojo View Post
thanks for the responses guys - i appreciate it. seems like he might have been misinformed about NA engines. he tunes a lot of GTR's, evo's, and such... a lot of japanese performance cars, so that might have influenced his perception.
anyway, a member here got his exhaust installed by them as well, and it looks like a very clean install!
free flow exhaust helps on turbos even more in my opinion. I think he is just uninformed in general.