BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

2013 M3 vs 2014 Cayman S (981)

I'm in a real dilemma. I am about to purchase a new car, either a new M3 or Cayman S. I would have never considered the Cayman as an option had i not test driven one due to lack of back seats. I have a seven week old baby however my wife has an X3 for the family driving/trips.

I had a 09 E90 M3 that i absolutely loved however i had to sell for a number of reasons back in 2010 unfortauntely. If i could get a new 2013 E90 M3 now, i probably would due to the practicality and overall performance. I've always liked the E90 more than the E92 but now i don't have that option to purchase a new E90, only a E92.

I can't make up my mind on this decision. This would be my only car which would be daily driven and tracked.

The new Cayman S is like a big go kart. Unbelievable handling. Its over 700lbs lighter than the M3.

The only things holding me back on the new M3 is that i cannot order one to my exact specs so i need to purchase one already built and that its a E92 and that the gas mileage is horrible. However it does have 2 back seats that i could presumably put a baby seat into if needed.

Anyone else consider a new Cayman?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I was having the same dilema as you though a child was not involved. While the new cayman is gorgeous I could not get over the lack of power. Since you have a new born i think you would be better off with the e92 as you could still put a car seat in the back.
      05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

The fact you have a family, I'd say E92 or used E90 - plenty to be had. You can tote friends along for a fun ride as well. The new Cayman S I do like a lot, and because I don't have kids etc., I'd probably get that without thinking twice.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Daily + baby + track = find a pristine '11 E90 that's as close to what you want as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

The problem with finding an E90 is that i want to get a new car. So the E92 is my only option if i want to get the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Daily + baby + track = find a pristine '11 E90 that's as close to what you want as possible.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

if you want a new car get the cayman. the wife can use the x3 for baby duty or you can switch if she can drive the p-car.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

weird had the same issue 4 years ago...

decided to take the M3 due to sitting capacity...

had the s2000 previously so after driving all the cars the M3 is a better choice.

yes below is how my s2 looked like before i sold it.
      05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

everytime I see the new 981, it's hard not to jump ship to the Cayman myself
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Both cars are fantastic. My wife has an '09 cayman and I think it's a great car. The new version appears to be a significant improvement. It really depends on your needs. The practicality of the M3 can't be beat and I absolutely love the V8. If you will never need to transport the kid then go with the car that you most enjoy driving. If you have to transport the kid then it's an easy decision... M3.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

At this point in time, purely from a car-to-car standpoint, I would get the Cayman S. Keep in mind that a nicely equipped Cayman S will be around $90k or more. It will be just a tad slower, although Porsche claims 0-60 in 4.4 with the PDK. That said, I have seen the new Cayman S and have driven an old one. The new one is one of the hottest looking cars on the road today. As far at the drive, you can hammer it and it will respond flawlessly.

Personally, I am not quite at the point in my life where I can make do with a pure two seater, even as my toy, because I would be severely limited if I couldn't use the back seat at least some of the time. This may be factor for you also. A lot of my my fun driving is still interspersed with transporting people and some stuff. If I didn't have at least the utility of my M3 coupe, it would be sitting in the garage a lot more.

So think about how the car is really going to be driven and used, because if you buy the car without this consideration, you will miss a lot of driving opportunities. If you still think that either car would suffice, then go for the Cayman.
      05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd save some dollars and find a gently used 2011 E90.

1) getting a baby in and out of the E92 would be a pain.
2) you already stated you like the looks of the E90 vs E92
3) way to expensive brand new and value will drop fast as all modern Porsche's seem to do.

All 3 cars are awesome so your in a win-win situation. Why does it have to be brand new?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
I'd save some dollars and find a gently used 2011 E90.

1) getting a baby in and out of the E92 would be a pain.
2) you already stated you like the looks of the E90 vs E92
3) way to expensive brand new and value will drop fast as all modern Porsche's seem to do.

All 3 cars are awesome so your in a win-win situation. Why does it have to be brand new?
As fun as the Cayman would be, as a dad I have to advise you to go with a car that your family can fit in, if needed. As little as my wife and kids are in the car, all five of us can fit (just), and it's very useful for both of your cars to have the ability to hold all of you.

If my wife's CX-9 goes to the shop/detailer/etc., we can make do for a short time. Unless you have family in town, or easy access to another family-friendly car, I'd definitely go with the M3 (E90, if you can get off the idea of a new car).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

the new cayman is definitely a sexy car, but I think the m3 is cooler
      05-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

Easy choice if no baby/kid involved... Cayman S. Baby changes everything. I have two kids... 5 and 7... Plenty of options to haul em. Got the X5 and a minivan. Was in market for a vert a year ago. Thought abt the boxster. Wife convinces me to go with E93 instead so "it's not selfish and could sit her and kids, too." I told her, "honey, if I had an option, I'd get a car with one seat." Hehehe.

I never regret opting for the extra seats instead. While minivan and SUV there, days aplenty when I just want to cruise around and I tote my kids with me (staying safe of course). With kids or baby you (at least i did) will have some days wife not around and you just want to go for a drive. Nice to have that option.

As mentioned above, if you are willing to stick with X3 and have wifey drive the Pcar... Think abt it. Then again, it becomes a hassle switching cars and all that too.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

First and foremost, congrat's on the little one. Health, prosperity and joy to you and your family. Children are the truest blessing. I will share with you my sort of similar story.

I sold my custom ordered Carrera S when we were blessed with a baby boy. As much as I loved the car, the reality was that I was just never going to drive it because rear facing car seats just don't fit in the back of the P car and the times when it would be just me and my wife were/are few and far between. So I sold it, pre-funded my kid's college savings and haven't regretted it for a second. All my family and friends who know what a hard core sports car guy I am thought I'd lost my mind but I can honestly tell you that next to marrying my wife and having my son, one of the best decisions I've ever made.

My son is nearly 2 and a half and in a proper, front facing car seat which opens up a lot of options. So a few months back I started thinking seriously about buying another "fun" car for me. It would be my third car (we drive a 2010 Audi A6 wagon as our daily driver and we have a Honda van that my mom (our child's caretaker) drives) but I wanted to be able to take my son with me.

I remain an active PCA member and I've always loved the way the Cayman drove, just not the way it looked. I was invited to the launch of the new 981 Cayman by my dealer and took it for an extended test drive. I was absolutely blown away. It's honestly all the power you'd ever need on the street with absolutely sublime handling. And although I'm a hard core, borderline militant, three pedal manual transmission guy... I have to admit that the newest generation of PDK is really, really damned good. My dealer offered me a fantastic price on special ordering a new one but I passed.

Instead, I bought a 2008 M3 sedan. Frankly, it doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Cayman and it's a 5-year old car with 42,000 miles so it's not perfect. That was a hard pill for an anal guy like me to swallow but my reality is that I paid less than half of what I would have paid for a new M3 or Cayman S and I now have a car that I am already sharing with my son. His car seat, stroller and his gear all easily fit. He loves riding in "daddy's new double oooh" and for me, that's worth it's weight in gold.

We each have to do what's right for us and to each his own but you're a new father. I don't know any parents who don't find that children change them and at least in my case, I can tell you with an absolute straight face that one of my great joys is sharing my passions with my son. Whether it's baseball, cars, or the ocean... nothing compares to the joy I get when I'm sharing those activities with my kid. I have to believe you'll find the same thing to be true.

The Cayman S is a fantastic car. Anyone who owns one is driving one of the great cars ever. But the M3 is a damned fine car too. Arguably the best small sports sedan ever. And you can share that vehicle with your child. You can't do that in the P car.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

And again, congrat's on the newborn. Enjoy each stage of his/her life because you'll be shocked how fast they grow. Especially when you're sleep deprived
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hapa View Post
Instead, I bought a 2008 M3 sedan. Frankly, it doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the Cayman and it's a 5-year old car with 42,000 miles so it's not perfect. That was a hard pill for an anal guy like me to swallow but my reality is that I paid less than half of what I would have paid for a new M3 or Cayman S and I now have a car that I am already sharing with my son. His car seat, stroller and his gear all easily fit. He loves riding in "daddy's new double oooh" and for me, that's worth it's weight in gold.
Something about that turn of phrase made me smile

Terrific write-up, and everyone wearing their parenting hat will be able to relate to these same sentiments. And no, I don't mean to imply that parenting is a bed of roses all the time.....it's more like hard and rewarding work!

Last edited by Candide13; 05-07-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Something about that turn of phrase made me smile

Terrific write-up, and everyone wearing their parenting will relate to these same sentiments. And no, I don't mean to imply that parenting is a bed of roses all the time.....it's more like hard and rewarding work!
Now that I re-read that, it is pretty funny.

Totally agree, by the way. Parenting is the hardest job in the world but also the most rewarding.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
As fun as the Cayman would be, as a dad I have to advise you to go with a car that your family can fit in, if needed. As little as my wife and kids are in the car, all five of us can fit (just), and it's very useful for both of your cars to have the ability to hold all of you.

If my wife's CX-9 goes to the shop/detailer/etc., we can make do for a short time. Unless you have family in town, or easy access to another family-friendly car, I'd definitely go with the M3 (E90, if you can get off the idea of a new car).
does your CX9 have 3rd row seating?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hapa View Post
First and foremost, congrat's on the little one. Health, prosperity and joy to you and your family. Children are the truest blessing. I will share with you my sort of similar story.

I sold my custom ordered Carrera S when we were blessed with a baby boy. As much as I loved the car, the reality was that I was just never going to drive it because rear facing car seats just don't fit in the back of the P car and the times when it would be just me and my wife were/are few and far between. So I sold it, pre-funded my kid's college savings and haven't regretted it for a second. All my family and friends who know what a hard core sports car guy I am thought I'd lost my mind but I can honestly tell you that next to marrying my wife and having my son, one of the best decisions I've ever made.

My son is nearly 2 and a half and in a proper, front facing car seat which opens up a lot of options. So a few months back I started thinking seriously about buying another "fun" car for me. It would be my third car (we drive a 2010 Audi A6 wagon as our daily driver and we have a Honda van that my mom (our child's caretaker) drives) but I wanted to be able to take my son with me.

I remain an active PCA member and I've always loved the way the Cayman drove, just not the way it looked. I was invited to the launch of the new 981 Cayman by my dealer and took it for an extended test drive. I was absolutely blown away. It's honestly all the power you'd ever need on the street with absolutely sublime handling. And although I'm a hard core, borderline militant, three pedal manual transmission guy... I have to admit that the newest generation of PDK is really, really damned good. My dealer offered me a fantastic price on special ordering a new one but I passed.

We each have to do what's right for us and to each his own but you're a new father. I don't know any parents who don't find that children change them and at least in my case, I can tell you with an absolute straight face that one of my great joys is sharing my passions with my son. Whether it's baseball, cars, or the ocean... nothing compares to the joy I get when I'm sharing those activities with my kid. I have to believe you'll find the same thing to be true.

The Cayman S is a fantastic car. Anyone who owns one is driving one of the great cars ever. But the M3 is a damned fine car too. Arguably the best small sports sedan ever. And you can share that vehicle with your child. You can't do that in the P car.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

And again, congrat's on the newborn. Enjoy each stage of his/her life because you'll be shocked how fast they grow. Especially when you're sleep deprived
Completely agree. The fact that I can share my M3 with my kids (they love being picked up at school in it) and the fact that I can use it for real world stuff and still enjoy the drive make it the clear choice for me right now. I could easily buy a really nice two-seater today. My whole family knows how much I love cars, however, my kids would say, "Daddy, where are we going to sit?"

That says it all, and they find the back seat of my e92 very comfortable.
      05-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

As above... When asked, my kids always choose to ride on the m3 than the van or X5... And that's even when both have DVD screens while I haven't had chance to code out M3 DVD in motion.

My 5 yr old loves to prompt: "press the M button dad!"... Always brings a smile to my face.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
does your CX9 have 3rd row seating?
Yessir. We bought it new (for a steal) in late 2008 - Grand Touring AWD loaded. I tell my wife she's got one of the sweetest soccer mom-mobiles in town. We've put around 25k per year on it - just over 110k at the moment.

And I don't hate driving it. Have taken it on lots of trips, the longest of which was all the way to Glacier National Park in Montana. Fantastic ride for chewing up a lot of miles, and plenty of power to tear up mountain passes.

Highly recommended for family duty.
Appreciate 0