BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #45
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I may have missed it, but I only see where that wheel is offered with an 18" diameter. My comment about size was directed towards width.

Not to derail, but I really do like those wheels personally. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for an additional set in 18" and hang on to my 19" 359s.
Not derailing at all. I appreciate the dialogue! :thumbs: You are absolutely right though, they only come in 18". Funny, it doesn't bother me though. Based on the stance of the white one, it still fills the fenders well. I'm loving that style and with M3 offsets/widths....it would be a pretty aggressive, yet classy style wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #46
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e28bmw View Post
Here you go....
Thank you SO much for your time and help on this. Really appreciate it. You're not making it easy by any means. Haha!

F14s look good. Though I definitely think the gunmetal may be a bit darker than what's shown. I'm liking them.

The straight 8-spoke...not bad.

The Advan's....looks really good. Curved spoke doesn't bother me as much as I was thinking it would.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #47
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
You're probably right. No, I don't see them around here at all. It's just that I see them on the forum everywhere. But it's still kind of the same mentality. People see something overdone and it's played out....kind of like what you think with the TE37's. I don't quite think it's a unique set of wheels, but I do agree that it could work very well with the Fire Orange.

Did you see the photoshop? I think it would be more gunmetal in person.
Our definitions of unique may be a little different. Having a rare color M3 on aftermarket wheels is enough for me to fall into the "unique" category, particularly where I live. This platform has been around long enough and we know which designs look good, no need to reinvent the wheel . Sounds like you want to be the only one with a particular wheel on this platform. Just keep in mind that if it hasn't been done before, there is probably a reason for it. That reason is either aesthetics, fitment, or price. So if you want to be truly one of a kind, chances are you will either need to spend more than most others are willing to spend, or settle for inferior aesthetics and/or fitment.

TE37s are far more common and not just on this platform. Go to any car show and you will see multiple cars with TE37s (or knock offs). There are a select few cars they look proper on, and the e9x is not one of them IMO. On the other hand, the F14 is a genuinely unique wheel design due to its concavity. You're not going to see Rota/Avante Garde/etc replicas which makes it more exclusive in my mind. There are also very few cars that can even fit SDCs up front. Note that the non-SDC F14s are average looking wheels and a lot of pics/angles fail to capture the SDC element, which is what really makes them stand out in real life.

I did see the photoshop. The wheels are definitely the wrong color but what throws me off even more is the scale. They look like 21s with rubber band tires. It would actually be easier to change the color of the black e90 you posted to orange than try to get the color, shading, and scale of the wheels right. There are plenty of pics of F14s on e90s out there though. Check out the F14 product page on Mod Bargains to start. You already know gunmetal looks good on Fire Orange and you know F14s look good on e90s, photoshop really shouldn't be necessary.

That's my 2c.
      06-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #48
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1987 e28 and 2008 e92 335i msp

The F14's are ripped direct from the e92 pic supplied so are gunmetal but due to the difference in light conditions on the two images do look silver. I have tried to keep the wheels the same size as the wheels on the e90 but again due to difference in perspectives they look bigger just to make sure i have covered the rims underneath and there is no part of them showing over the edges. I could spend more time on this and get them looking spot on but given the amount of wheels photo shopped this would take some considerable time and i'm by no means a photoshop expert. Happy to do some better images once the wheels have been narrowed down though.
      06-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #49
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1987 e28 and 2008 e92 335i msp

F14's updated....
Attached Images

06-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #50
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I think the F14 looks terrible in person. Their 5spoke designs are way better.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #51
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The F14's are ripped direct from the e92 pic supplied so are gunmetal but due to the difference in light conditions on the two images do look silver. I have tried to keep the wheels the same size as the wheels on the e90 but again due to difference in perspectives they look bigger just to make sure i have covered the rims underneath and there is no part of them showing over the edges. I could spend more time on this and get them looking spot on but given the amount of wheels photo shopped this would take some considerable time and i'm by no means a photoshop expert. Happy to do some better images once the wheels have been narrowed down though.
Quote:
F14's updated....
I could tell they were taken directly from the pics I provided. It was just the lighting that was giving it a bit of a different color/lightness. You've done a great job with all of this, so thank you! I'm simply looking to get a general idea as to what certain styles and colors would look like on this car and your work has achieved that for me. Do I know what style I want yet? Nope...still thinking through it. Still liking the gunmetal though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #52
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I think the F14 looks terrible in person. Their 5spoke designs are way better.
Out of curiosity, what makes them look terrible? I haven't seen the 5-spoke designs so I may need to take a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #53
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

Holy tits! OEM fire orange paint? That car is truly 1 of a kind. (tots jelly!) I think it pops with the stock silver ZCP's. I'd leave it alone personally.

My car is on the books to get a full 3M Gloss Burnt Orange wrap at the end of the month. Really can't go wrong with silver, black, or even a matte bronze wheel setup. Buy a couple different sets?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #54
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Would the Linea Corse 818 wheels look good in gunmetal? It's a cheap wheel, but I like the concavity with the M3 fitment. Can't find a good picture in Hyper Black with M3 offsets, though. Maybe too generic in styling? Here's a couple examples:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #55
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Our definitions of unique may be a little different. Having a rare color M3 on aftermarket wheels is enough for me to fall into the "unique" category, particularly where I live. This platform has been around long enough and we know which designs look good, no need to reinvent the wheel . Sounds like you want to be the only one with a particular wheel on this platform. Just keep in mind that if it hasn't been done before, there is probably a reason for it. That reason is either aesthetics, fitment, or price. So if you want to be truly one of a kind, chances are you will either need to spend more than most others are willing to spend, or settle for inferior aesthetics and/or fitment.

TE37s are far more common and not just on this platform. Go to any car show and you will see multiple cars with TE37s (or knock offs). There are a select few cars they look proper on, and the e9x is not one of them IMO. On the other hand, the F14 is a genuinely unique wheel design due to its concavity. You're not going to see Rota/Avante Garde/etc replicas which makes it more exclusive in my mind. There are also very few cars that can even fit SDCs up front. Note that the non-SDC F14s are average looking wheels and a lot of pics/angles fail to capture the SDC element, which is what really makes them stand out in real life.

I did see the photoshop. The wheels are definitely the wrong color but what throws me off even more is the scale. They look like 21s with rubber band tires. It would actually be easier to change the color of the black e90 you posted to orange than try to get the color, shading, and scale of the wheels right. There are plenty of pics of F14s on e90s out there though. Check out the F14 product page on Mod Bargains to start. You already know gunmetal looks good on Fire Orange and you know F14s look good on e90s, photoshop really shouldn't be necessary.
The Fire Orange is unique, no question about it. I'm not looking for a one-off wheel by any means. I daily a 335 so my offsets aren't as aggressive as the M3, which can make a huge different in appearance. To your point, the SDC F14 vs. non-SDC F14. I don't go browsing the M3 forum that often so while I generally have a good idea as to what style would work with the E90 platform, the Fire Orange is throwing a wrench into things. Just because bright silver BBS LM's look good on Sparkling Graphite or Alpine White doesn't mean it has the same effect on Fire Orange. I think black M359s look incredible on the Frozen Silver edition E92 M3. I don't like black M359s on Fire Orange.

I just want a wheel that pairs perfectly with the modified nature of this FO sedan.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #56
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I would much rather have your OE comp pack wheels (or GTS version) than F14's. I think they cheapen the look of the car. They are a very simple, low cost wheel (no detail in the spoke design). The only thing 'special' about it is the concave versions available. And even the concave style is so pronounced that it looks luxury versus sporty. It's cheesy IMO. I know my opinion may offend - I apologize

Stick with quality wheels versus cheap, cast wheels. No point I'm downgrading your OE wheels.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #57
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I would much rather have your OE comp pack wheels (or GTS version) than F14's. I think they cheapen the look of the car. They are a very simple, low cost wheel (no detail in the spoke design). The only thing 'special' about it is the concave versions available. And even the concave style is so pronounced that it looks luxury versus sporty. It's cheesy IMO. I know my opinion may offend - I apologize

Stick with quality wheels versus cheap, cast wheels. No point I'm downgrading your OE wheels.
There is something about the F14s that aren't clicking with me. I get it from an aesthetics standpoint why everyone loves them, but have heard less than glowing reviews on every other aspect.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #58
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I get it from an aesthetics standpoint why everyone loves them, but have heard less than glowing reviews on every other aspect.
Like what? They’re strong, lightweight, affordable wheels that look good. What other aspect do you need? Isn’t aesthetics the primary reason you’re buying wheels? Only negative thing I’ve seen is impatient people complaining about a couple week delay years ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #59
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like what? They’re strong, lightweight, affordable wheels that look good. What other aspect do you need? Isn’t aesthetics the primary reason you’re buying wheels? Only negative thing I’ve seen is impatient people complaining about a couple week delay years ago.
I've seen multiple complaints about receiving wheels that are not true, have bent easily, and have had issues with matching finishes when being replaced. Maybe that could happen with any manufacturer. Maybe it's simply a matter of dealing with the right vendor. I'm not ruling them out. Just want to make sure my expectations are met. What I can say is that wait time isn't an issue here. However, in defense of those from a few years ago, I remember the MONTHS of waiting...not a couple weeks. Pretty sure that's all worked out now.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #60
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like what? They're strong, lightweight, affordable wheels that look good. What other aspect do you need? Isn't aesthetics the primary reason you're buying wheels? Only negative thing I've seen is impatient people complaining about a couple week delay years ago.
I've seen multiple complaints about receiving wheels that are not true, have bent easily, and have had issues with matching finishes when being replaced. Maybe that could happen with any manufacturer. Maybe it's simply a matter of dealing with the right vendor. I'm not ruling them out. Just want to make sure my expectations are met. What I can say is that wait time isn't an issue here. However, in defense of those from a few years ago, I remember the MONTHS of waiting...not a couple weeks. Pretty sure that's all worked out now.
IIRC, people were complaining about a 3 month wait when Forgestar actually estimates 8-10wk on custom built wheels.
      06-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #61
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, people were complaining about a 3 month wait when Forgestar actually estimates 8-10wk on custom built wheels.
Fair enough. I wasn't really paying too much attention to it all in detail, just remembered all of the chatter surrounding them. All history now from the sound of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #62
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I get it from an aesthetics standpoint why everyone loves them, but have heard less than glowing reviews on every other aspect.
Remove strong and good looking (my opinion of course) from that list and there's your answer.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #63
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Remove strong and good looking (my opinion of course) from that list and there's your answer.
Good thing we don't need to rely on opinions for strength.

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/testdata/
      06-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #64
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good thing we don't need to rely on opinions for strength.

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/testdata/
That's great that they test their product. Do you know how their test data compares to their competitors? OE comp pack wheels for example. Also do you know where they set the bar for passing their tests? Is it at a strength level consistent with other options or is it simply to meet minimum standards? Is their testing exhaustive or are their additional real-world tests that would provide more or better representation of the wheel's strength?

A test on its own is certainly a good start but it means nothing without context.

To be clear - I think their wheels are decent and fit a niche that has a need. I'm just not a fan of swapping out factory wheels for something that isn't an upgrade.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #65
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's great that they test their product. Do you know how their test data compares to their competitors? OE comp pack wheels for example. Also do you know where they set the bar for passing their tests? Is it at a strength level consistent with other options or is it simply to meet minimum standards? Is their testing exhaustive or are their additional real-world tests that would provide more or better representation of the wheel's strength?

A test on its own is certainly a good start but it means nothing without context.
They're both JWL certified and VIA registered. Good enough for me.
      06-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #66
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
The graphite TEs on the orange coupe look fire (eyyyy!) but none of the other posted options really speak to me.
Appreciate 0