BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

EXXEL Distributions

10-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #45
vinnys coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: g37S

f boston lets go cleveland
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #46
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe View Post
Yuck the Fankees.

Tribe's going down like a $5 Cleveland hooker.
      10-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #47
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
Tonight was a just a fluke then, right?

I don't care why other people cheer for the Sox. I just know I've been a Boston fan since birth.

If they keep hitting like they have the past two games, the Indians don't have a chance. I can tell from your posts that you haven't watched the Sox much this year and you are speaking out of your ass at this point, but the Sox are the streakiest team in the league. If there's one team that can win three in a row with blowout wins over great pitching, it's the Red Sox.

And yes, the home field advantage will make a HUGE difference. I think it's quite laughable that you don't think that's true, and it doesn't even matter what sport we're talking about, your statement is a plain joke and sounds like it came from someone who knows absolutely nothing about any sport.
Know nothing about sports? That's really laughable. I love how people judge everyone here not even knowing them. I played highly competitive baseball since I was 10 through college baseball, so I feel I know a tiny bit of something about the sport.

Once you get to that level of play home field advantage doesn't mean as much as it did in little league. All the fields are groomed to a specified range and everything follows a league standard. Only difference is the fans. And again if your at the level and haven't learned to block them out then you'll surely always have trouble. Those guys are there to play and win, not listen to fans reactions/comments/cheers, etc.

No I didn't watch the Sox's this year. Doesn't matter. Baseball is baseball. EVERYONE is streaky. I don't have to watch a seasons worth of baseball to catch onto how a team works. Any team can win 3 in a row at any time. That's the great thing about professional sports. All of those guys are the best at what they do and on any given night any team can win.

No tonight wasn't a fluke. They played a solid game. They hit the ball right where they needed to all night long and capitalized on a lot of good breaks. They had like 4 infield hits, those don't happen that often and they scored every one of those guys. But because they did that last night won't make them do it tonight. You said it yourself, "their the streakiest team in baseball", well tonight could be an off night, who knows.

We'll all watch tonight and find out.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #48
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

What a great series this is turning out to be. Almost nothing has gone the way the "experts" predicted. I am really looking forward to tonight. Hope Dice-K can re-group. He's looked shaky to say the least, but obviously he has the potential. And just look at the way Westbrook has risen to the occasion this post-season. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #49
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Know nothing about sports? That's really laughable. I love how people judge everyone here not even knowing them. I played highly competitive baseball since I was 10 through college baseball, so I feel I know a tiny bit of something about the sport.
You hide it very, very well.
      10-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #50
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You hide it very, very well.
I talk from the hip. I don't feel research is exactly necessary on a random baseball thread.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #51
vinnys coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yuck the Fankees.

Tribe's going down like a $5 Cleveland hooker.
relaxx relaxx... boston is terriblee.. i honestly despise them... i would love to c cleveland celebrate on their own turf tonight... LETS GO CLEVELAND.!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #52
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I talk from the hip. I don't feel research is exactly necessary on a random baseball thread.
Excuse the pun, but you could at least try to be in the ballpark.
      10-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #53
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
relaxx relaxx... boston is terriblee.. i honestly despise them... i would love to c cleveland celebrate on their own turf tonight... LETS GO CLEVELAND.!!!
The team that made it to the ALCS, unlike the Yankees, is terrible?

http://store.theonion.com/the-sports...r-to-p-83.html
      10-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Once you get to that level of play home field advantage doesn't mean as much as it did in little league. All the fields are groomed to a specified range and everything follows a league standard. Only difference is the fans. And again if your at the level and haven't learned to block them out then you'll surely always have trouble. Those guys are there to play and win, not listen to fans reactions/comments/cheers, etc.

No I didn't watch the Sox's this year. Doesn't matter. Baseball is baseball. EVERYONE is streaky. I don't have to watch a seasons worth of baseball to catch onto how a team works. Any team can win 3 in a row at any time. That's the great thing about professional sports. All of those guys are the best at what they do and on any given night any team can win.

No tonight wasn't a fluke. They played a solid game. They hit the ball right where they needed to all night long and capitalized on a lot of good breaks. They had like 4 infield hits, those don't happen that often and they scored every one of those guys. But because they did that last night won't make them do it tonight. You said it yourself, "their the streakiest team in baseball", well tonight could be an off night, who knows.

We'll all watch tonight and find out.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

I'm just thinking out loud here, but Cleveland is 51-29 at home in the regular season (4-1 in the playoffs), while they're 45-37 on the road (2-3 in the playoffs). Meanwhile, the Sox are 51-30 at home (4-1 in the playoffs), and 45-36 on the road (2-2 in the playoffs). Combined regular season and postseason, Cleveland is .647 at home and .540 on the road. Boston is .640 at home and .553 on the road. The numbers don't lie...

You say that all fields follow a standard. So you're saying that the left side of the infield at Fenway is the same as the left side of the infield at Jacobs Field? Or that the triangle at Fenway is just as easy for Coco Crisp to play as it is for Grady Sizemore, even though Coco has played far more games there?

I just don't really get you. You say you know a lot about baseball, but even Tim McCarver wouldn't say the things you're spouting.
      10-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #55
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

I'm just thinking out loud here, but Cleveland is 51-29 at home in the regular season (4-1 in the playoffs), while they're 45-37 on the road (2-3 in the playoffs). Meanwhile, the Sox are 51-30 at home (4-1 in the playoffs), and 45-36 on the road (2-2 in the playoffs). Combined regular season and postseason, Cleveland is .647 at home and .540 on the road. Boston is .640 at home and .553 on the road. The numbers don't lie...

You say that all fields follow a standard. So you're saying that the left side of the infield at Fenway is the same as the left side of the infield at Jacobs Field? Or that the triangle at Fenway is just as easy for Coco Crisp to play as it is for Grady Sizemore, even though Coco has played far more games there?

I just don't really get you. You say you know a lot about baseball, but even Tim McCarver wouldn't say the things you're spouting.
The field is not the only single factor for a team losing an away game. Theres travel, hotel's, etc. Either way as for the field sure there are obvious differences but this is also why these guys show up hours before a game. To walk the field, to do wall drills, hit, catch fly balls, ground balls. This is their job.

All I'm saying is there are many many more factors then just the field their playing at.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #56
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
c

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #57
spoons
Rep
Drives: SLOBRA

Red Sox win 11-2.

Quote:
Doesn't really mean much. The Sox still got to win 2 in a row. Schilling may win, Dice-K is shitty. I could hit him and I stopped playing 2 years ago. All that hype that he'll never live up to, but hey he was great in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, C.C. looked like hell both of his outings. Although Westbrook, Byrd and Betancourt have been incredible. If I were Wedge and if Carmona showed a hint of not having his "A" game tomorrow I'd go right to Westbrook. That way he'd still have Byrd for the game 7start and could use Carmona for late relief if needed. Betancourt is just a horse so he can be ridin whenever. But that's just me.
Guess you were wrong, buddy.

Indians: time to go fishin'.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #58
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:

f cleveland
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #59
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Go Rockies!!

If the layoff didn't hurt them too much, it's gonna be tough to stop em.
      10-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #60
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow.......all the analysts and the announcers/guys on the field were saying home field advantage would be big. And then there's the plays where it helped to know the field. The bounces on the lip, knowing how the ball kicks off the stands down the third base line. Home field advantage was so much bigger than I could have imagined. I love being proven right.
      10-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #61
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #62
vinnys coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The team that made it to the ALCS, unlike the Yankees, is terrible?

http://store.theonion.com/the-sports...r-to-p-83.html
Ok. How many world series did the yankees win? ANd how many did boston win? http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSTON-SUCKS-86-...QQcmdZViewItem
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #63
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. How many world series did the yankees win? ANd how many did boston win? http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSTON-SUCKS-86-...QQcmdZViewItem
Wow. Weakest argument ever.

"Our team sucks total ass, so let's talk about the past! It's the only thing we have to celebrate!"
      10-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #64
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe you could talk about something that happened this century?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #65
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

When Yankee fans use that argument, you know you've beaten them. It's their version of "jumping the shark". Done.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #66
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The field is not the only single factor for a team losing an away game. Theres travel, hotel's, etc. Either way as for the field sure there are obvious differences but this is also why these guys show up hours before a game. To walk the field, to do wall drills, hit, catch fly balls, ground balls. This is their job.

All I'm saying is there are many many more factors then just the field their playing at.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=mlb

Quote:
On the flip side, the Red Sox won their four games by a combined total of 40-8; in the last three wins, they had too many heroes to even count, and the Fenway fans came through in Games 6 and 7 and turned the series into something that felt as big as it was. That's the thing about Fenway that everyone always forgets: You have 35,000 fans sitting on top of the players and swaying with every tension-filled pitch, but you also have odd ballpark quirks coming into play like the Lofton/Skinner play, or Manny playing the wall perfectly to gun down Lofton, or even Ryan Garko's potential homer finding the deepest section of the wall in left-center for a discouraging RBI double. Add everything up and it's an extremely tough place to win a playoff game.
Appreciate 0