BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Every wonder why.....

Ever wonder why auto makers dont post actual pics of all the exterior and interior options for potential buyers. Usually you get a few shots of maybe one or two colors in the brochure. And, on the site you get digital/computer generated colors that dont look right.

You would think it would be easy for a car maker to get one of each color and have have a ton of pics of each color on their website. In different lights and different angles. Just makes sense to me and would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Anyways, its tough to make a good comparison based on random pics in different lighting and at different angles.

Jason
      07-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
nechronics
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: M3

i absolutely hate the computer modeled pics on the website....they look nothing like the real deal and many of the more recent pics have brought that to light. I think they turn more people off to the car than they sell.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Good question. I wonder if it has to do with trying to get people into dealerships and the striking range of friendly sales people...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Its easier to hit a slider in whatever flash editor they're using to change the color than it is to produce all the colors in real life; a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Its easier to hit a slider in whatever flash editor they're using to change the color than it is to produce all the colors in real life; a lot easier.
it may be easier, true... but a lot less accurate. i agree with the OP. bmw certainly has the resources to photograph the various interior/trim combinations and make them available to us via a configurator. the porsche configurator, though still computer modeled, is great because it allows you to view your interior in different instances of lighting.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
the porsche configurator, though still computer modeled, is great because it allows you to view your interior in different instances of lighting.
+23
      07-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
It really would be nice to think they could at least make a half-decent attempt at getting the exterior colours correct.

The Interlagos Blue on the configurator looks nothing like the real thing and I have no confidence at all in the Jerez Black.

I don't really see why they cannot simply post some professional photographs on the website and make panel-sized samples available at dealerships.

A two-inch Flash animation is not much to offer someone who is spending the best part of £60K.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Ever wonder why auto makers dont post actual pics of all the exterior and interior options for potential buyers. Usually you get a few shots of maybe one or two colors in the brochure. And, on the site you get digital/computer generated colors that dont look right.

You would think it would be easy for a car maker to get one of each color and have have a ton of pics of each color on their website. In different lights and different angles. Just makes sense to me and would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Anyways, its tough to make a good comparison based on random pics in different lighting and at different angles.

Jason

I sit at home and beat my head on the table over and over wondering how these marketing people cannot figure something as simple as that.

Less they feel we don't go to the dealer ENOUGH already and want us grouping about in person.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I'd spend more time at my local BMW dealer if the car park wasn't so damn small. Last time I went, they had an M6 Cabrio, M-Roadster and M-Coupe in amongst the 'lesser' vehicles.