BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

11-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #1
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have helped quite a few guys DIY their own composite gear rebuilds as opposed to purchasing new or purchasing our rebuilds and I am always happy to do so as opposed to making a sale. Of course if you are having circuit board issues uou will only get so far with your composite gear DIY but it is a good option as as a start as it is cheap for a set of composite gears and an hour of your time once you get them out of the car before purchasing newly rebuilt units.

1st I have been getting back quite a few cores with the metal insert/outer composite gears (photo #1) that people are spending appx $100 for. My suggestion is do not purchase these gears as they are much heavier than 100% composite gears and may be causing a lag between throttle pedal-throttle body linkage-actuator tab-actuator gear-actuator motor. The outer gear parts that touch each other are still composite and the metal insert only touches the motor. I'm not aware of anyone selling rebuilds that is or would use these metal insert gears so we are suggesting DIYers not to use them either.
We do recommend purchasing the $25 100% composite gear kit (photo #2) that comes with the post for ease of installation without having to drill and glue etc… You can easily find them online.

Secondly we recommend that you MUST clean out the motor when changing out your gears as the brushes produce carbon dust as they wear which builds up in the motor.
In addition to cleaning the carbon from the brushes the semi exposed bearing at the bottom of the motor needs to be oiled (picture #3) after cleaning the motor. Contact me and I am happy to walk you through how to remove the motor, clean the brushes inside the motor "electric parts cleaner" and "multi purpose 3-in-one- oil for the bearing. As an FYI as far as purchasing new motors we have been in contact with BMW and were directed to the makers of the actuators and they have an agreement with BMW to NOT sell these motors to the general public so the motors themselves cannot be replaced. We have tried to find these motors in other markets but the exact motors are not being reproduced to our knowledge. The motors seem to rarely be discussed which is unfortunate because they are integral to the rebuild process.

Lastly members have reinstalled the circuit boards only to miss connecting the two male connectors from the motor to the two female connectors on the circuit board (pics #4 and #5).
You need to do it in plenty of sunlight/house light and make certain you are connected or you will not have power from the board to the motor and therefore immediate limp mode. Hopefully a quick google search will bring others to this post and help with their DIY in the future.

https://rebuild-usa.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DRLane3968.00
jun_e92140.50