BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
MPowerPitch
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 jerez black

Lowering springs bad for your car?

Hey guys I just recently purchased the kw sleeve kit that's height adjustable, but before putting them on my mechanic said it would not be good for my car. Is this true and why? The sleeve is not the full coilover just the springs that uses the oem shocks. Appreciate the insight guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

You will probably get some premature wear on the shock, since they weren't designed for the rate on aftermarket springs. Theoretically, some increased stress on the CV joints, but for mild drops ~1", I doubt this is a major concern. The ride may become bouncier/rougher. You should expect to lose warranty coverage for your suspension components and parts of the drivetrain impacted by the drop, depending on how strict your dealer is.

I'm a believer in going with upgraded shock/struts when changing springs - only reason I haven't is because my car has EDC. I don't like the idea of using a module to work around the issue, so I'm sticking with stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
You'll be fine. As stated above, your shocks will likely wear faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Don't worry about it too much. I researched this extensively before buying a set. Kw is a leading suspension company. Countless hours of R&D go into every kit they sell. Other members haven't described bounce after installing the sleeve kit.

Will the life of the shock be affected? I'm guessing so but we are talking minimally.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

yes, premature wear, likely not measurable unless you're keeping your car beyond 100k or so...

The real question is, can you live with the suspension mods as a DD?

On my last car (Evo 8), I did full coilovers and a 25mm rear sway bar. Yeah, it looked great, handled well, but not measurably better...and the mods battered my brain inside my skull for the 2 years I drove in that car in the city. Never again...

IMO, the M3's 3 EDC settings are perfect balance of sport and comfort. The stiffest is just stiff enough not to come out of the car with a smashed skeleton, but still capable for a novice on a track. If you must lower the car, I would maybe go with OEM ZCP springs, though the drop is not noticible...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswift View Post
Hey guys I just recently purchased the kw sleeve kit that's height adjustable, but before putting them on my mechanic said it would not be good for my car. Is this true and why? The sleeve is not the full coilover just the springs that uses the oem shocks. Appreciate the insight guys!
Speaking from experience of the exact same set-up...note, I tracked my car a lot, so my wear rate was higher. My car (jerez blk as well!) suffered from damper wear towards the 60k mile mark (after 30,000 miles of KW Sleeves). This was most apparent on track and more thrashing on sharp road bumps. Would I recommend them? Yes, only if the roads in your area are relatively smooth. If you drive on bumpy, pot hole likely, roads... then think twice for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Speaking from experience of the exact same set-up...note, I tracked my car a lot, so my wear rate was higher. My car (jerez blk as well!) suffered from damper wear towards the 60k mile mark (after 30,000 miles of KW Sleeves). This was most apparent on track and more thrashing on sharp road bumps. Would I recommend them? Yes, only if the roads in your area are relatively smooth. If you drive on bumpy, pot hole likely, roads... then think twice for sure.
yeah, totally agree on the last point. IMO (and I will take a lot of shit for this on this forum), suspension mods just for cosmetic purposes is just a big waste of money if you DD your car...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah, totally agree on the last point. IMO (and I will take a lot of shit for this on this forum), suspension mods just for cosmetic purposes is just a big waste of money if you DD your car...
You won't hear grief from me, that's for sure. Do the cars look better dropped? Sure. Am I putting it high on my priority list? No.

I'm already scrapping in weird places (I have CF splitters) and I love the way the car currently handles (I have EDC). If I become REALLY desperate, I'll add spacers (not 100% sure how I feel about them still) to get that bulldog stance. When it's time to rebuild my suspension, I'll probably just switch over to ZCP parts.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm case in point, after going back to OEM ZCP, I am very wary of going back to just springs again. If ever, it might be KW DDC coils.

Although, the springs that recently popped onto the market that might try are Swift Spec-Rs. The marketing BS is pulling me in ... (new metals, thinner coils, like OEM streetability, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You won't hear grief from me, that's for sure. Do the cars look better dropped? Sure. Am I putting it high on my priority list? No.

I'm already scrapping in weird places (I have CF splitters) and I love the way the car currently handles (I have EDC). If I become REALLY desperate, I'll add spacers (not 100% sure how I feel about them still) to get that bulldog stance. When it's time to rebuild my suspension, I'll probably just switch over to ZCP parts.
in addition, a lot of these "out of the box" suspension mods do not increase performance, rather they change the handling characteristics of the car adversely, especially if you don't know what to adjust.

with my past car, I've noticed that the best way to approach suspension mods is to do track days. Learn the car, then make minute and relatively balanced changes to the suspension (camber plates, slightly thicker sway bars) before doing the full hog-wild independently adjustable coilovers, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Although, the springs that recently popped onto the market that might try are Swift Spec-Rs. The marketing BS is pulling me in ... (new metals, thinner coils, like OEM streetability, etc.)
don't give in! it's all the same marketing BS, stiffer and lower ride without giving up the subjective "streetability"...etc etc etc...it's all the same concept, stiff and lower spring to grind your pelvis down to dust while driving your car, while giving you the fake tinsel of "high performance".

Last edited by mdosu; 04-08-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Have you maximized the potential of your stock set-up, I.e., are you able to drive the car to the limits of the stock suspension? If not, why "upgrade"?

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Have you maximized the potential of your stock set-up, I.e., are you able to drive the car to the limits of the stock suspension? If not, why "upgrade"?
The answer for most people would be "Needs a drop"... purely for looks.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Yea, that gaps gets to me sometimes. It's less on the ZCP cars, but on purely stock E9x's, it horrendous!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The answer for most people would be "Needs a drop"... purely for looks.
Yea, I can understand that.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
yes, premature wear, likely not measurable unless you're keeping your car beyond 100k or so...

The real question is, can you live with the suspension mods as a DD?

On my last car (Evo 8), I did full coilovers and a 25mm rear sway bar. Yeah, it looked great, handled well, but not measurably better...and the mods battered my brain inside my skull for the 2 years I drove in that car in the city. Never again...

IMO, the M3's 3 EDC settings are perfect balance of sport and comfort. The stiffest is just stiff enough not to come out of the car with a smashed skeleton, but still capable for a novice on a track. If you must lower the car, I would maybe go with OEM ZCP springs, though the drop is not noticible...
Quote:
don't give in! it's all the same marketing BS, stiffer and lower ride without giving up the subjective "streetability"...etc etc etc...it's all the same concept, stiff and lower spring to grind your pelvis down to dust while driving your car, while giving you the fake tinsel of "high performance".
It sounds like you had a bad experience with the aftermarket suspension on your EVO which is leading you to have strong opinions about the aftermarket M3 options. I'm not sure that it's completely fair to assume they are all bad after you had your experience on a completely different car with a completely different suspension system...

I can speak from experience on the following suspension options, Stock EDC, Stock non-EDC, Stock EDC with Eibach springs, and KW Clubsport 3-way Coilovers. I have not found that the Eibach springs or KW Clubsports "grind your pelvis down to dust while driving your car". I have found the ride of both the springs and KW's to be stiffer but not unbearable in any way.

Since the clubsports are adjustable it has allowed me to tune my ride height and ride quality to a level that I find completely livable day to day. In fact I love how it has transformed the car. I do live in CA where the roads are relatively smooth (despite what the CA natives think).

I went through 3 winters on Eibachs in MN where there are real potholes and road problems. I would certainly do it again without hesitation. The ride was barely stiffer than stock and the ride height was much improved. I never took the car on the track so I can't say that the performance was actually improved.

In addition... I did have Bilstein PSS9's on my former Porsche 996 C2. I was not happy with the ride in that car. It had suspension rattles and was simply uncomfortable. Thankfully I didn't let that experience prevent me from trying coilovers on my M3. I have been more than happy with the results.

I don't have personal experience with the KW sleeve-over kit so I can't comment on that.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

If the looks of a lowered car are important to you then go ahead and lower it. But if ride quality is more important stay away from lowering.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My experience of Eibach springs on EDC is that the ride (up to 77K) is better than stock, and with a little less roll, more fun in the corners. It looks better too.

As for the track, I switched relatively early in my track career, so I cannot tell if it made a difference or not.
      04-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
My experience of Eibach springs on EDC is that the ride (up to 77K) is better than stock, and with a little less roll, more fun in the corners. It looks better too.

As for the track, I switched relatively early in my track career, so I cannot tell if it made a difference or not.
Just got the eibachs to drop my non zcp. Really pumped to install them. Hopefully by next Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
It sounds like you had a bad experience with the aftermarket suspension on your EVO which is leading you to have strong opinions about the aftermarket M3 options. I'm not sure that it's completely fair to assume they are all bad after you had your experience on a completely different car with a completely different suspension system...

I can speak from experience on the following suspension options, Stock EDC, Stock non-EDC, Stock EDC with Eibach springs, and KW Clubsport 3-way Coilovers. I have not found that the Eibach springs or KW Clubsports "grind your pelvis down to dust while driving your car". I have found the ride of both the springs and KW's to be stiffer but not unbearable in any way.

Since the clubsports are adjustable it has allowed me to tune my ride height and ride quality to a level that I find completely livable day to day. In fact I love how it has transformed the car. I do live in CA where the roads are relatively smooth (despite what the CA natives think).

I went through 3 winters on Eibachs in MN where there are real potholes and road problems. I would certainly do it again without hesitation. The ride was barely stiffer than stock and the ride height was much improved. I never took the car on the track so I can't say that the performance was actually improved.

In addition... I did have Bilstein PSS9's on my former Porsche 996 C2. I was not happy with the ride in that car. It had suspension rattles and was simply uncomfortable. Thankfully I didn't let that experience prevent me from trying coilovers on my M3. I have been more than happy with the results.

I don't have personal experience with the KW sleeve-over kit so I can't comment on that.

i wouldn't say i had a negative experience, just the cost/benefit wasn't there for me.

But I'm glad you spoke up, b/c it's detailed reviews like this that allows potential buyers a good preview of what to expect.

BTW, my Evo coilovers (Zeal/Endless) were even stiffer than the "out of the box" Bilstein PSS9 versions for the Evo.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
i wouldn't say i had a negative experience, just the cost/benefit wasn't there for me.

But I'm glad you spoke up, b/c it's detailed reviews like this that allows potential buyers a good preview of what to expect.

BTW, my Evo coilovers (Zeal/Endless) were even stiffer than the "out of the box" Bilstein PSS9 versions for the Evo.
Wow I ran Zeals on my old S2000 and they were a good set up with Swift springs but nothing beats my old Aragosta/Tuned by Top Secret setup I had for the track/SCCA and I also had Ohlins and Mugen. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Aside from more wear on shocks and increased likelihood to scraping, no real harm. Feel and performance are another story. Being that they're adjustable is nice. Give 'em a shot and see what you think.
Appreciate 0