BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
No Dinan at German Dealership???

I emailed my dealer asking them about Dinan parts. They replied that they had never heard of them, they carry AC Schnitzer only. I told them that I thought that BMW was good with Dinan aftermarket and even allowed you to maintain the factory warranties with it. They said, sorry, never heard of them... Why do I find that so hard to believe?
      04-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Dinan is a US-based tuner. They are not associated directly with BMW. Only some dealers sell Dinan parts, it isn't factory authorized.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Dinan is a US-based tuner. They are not associated directly with BMW. Only some dealers sell Dinan parts, it isn't factory authorized.
+1

IIRC from what I understand, I think that IF something goes wrong its on Dinans tab and they pick up it not BMW?

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
From Dinan website:
"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer."

This led me to believe the BMW dealers were aligned with them. And since I live in Germany but have an American spec BMW, that it fell into that category. Does not matter though as they do not sell/warranty Dinan there... So if I end up with AC Schnitzer parts, are they not covered/warrantied in the states? Time for some research...
      04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
That's unfortunate... AC Schnitzer parts look HORRIBLE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

This led me to believe the BMW dealers were aligned with them. And since I live in Germany but have an American spec BMW, that it fell into that category. Does not matter though as they do not sell/warranty Dinan there... So if I end up with AC Schnitzer parts, are they not covered/warrantied in the states? Time for some research...
In your quote, it has to be a "Authorized Dinan Dealer" that performs any warranty coverage. Unless you take the car to a Dinan American reseller (dealer/shop etc), they aren't going to cover you. Like I said, some US dealers work with Dinan, not all, and definitely not internationally.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No, there is no Dinan here unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Even with a Dinan warranty, Dinan could blame the BMW part and BMW could blame the Dinan part.

You would be on the hook to PROVE which part caused the failure.

They could play the blame game on you and you'd be stuck in the middle.

The ONLY way to avoid this would be to buy and install the Dinan parts via a BMW dealership. Since they are on both sides of the transaction, both fingers would point back to themselves at the end.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Dinan parts myself.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
From Dinan website:
"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer."

Some BMW dealers ARE aligned with Dinan, but that doesn't mean BMW itself is, nor does it mean that ANY dealers outside the US are. And yes, as others have said even Dinan's warranty policy can cause problems where Dinan and BMW point fingers at each other, though this can typically be mitigated by working with a dealer authorized by both BMW and Dinan, since they'll have to fix it regardless of whose fault it is.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
BMWJones
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto
I emailed my dealer asking them about Dinan parts. They replied that they had never heard of them, they carry AC Schnitzer only. I told them that I thought that BMW was good with Dinan aftermarket and even allowed you to maintain the factory warranties with it. They said, sorry, never heard of them... Why do I find that so hard to believe?
Bummer about not being able to get Dinan in Germany...AC Schnitzer is really tired.
Appreciate 0