BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

07-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #89
Facsombh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Thread is dead
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #90
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ready for the next group buy!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #91
Titan_br
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 with AA Stage 3 SC

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I need to buy BE Bearings + Special ARP Bolts.

Any e-mail?

At the website is full price at $865.00 + shipping + taxes

Vac is High Performance Rod Bearing Kit that includes VAC Coated Rod Bearings and
ARP Rod Bolts, S65 = $799.95

Last edited by Titan_br; 07-05-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #92
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Group buy threads are back alive again.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #93
Yea Boi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 08 M3

What's the break in period for these bearings after installed, answer varies from 500 miles up to 1200 miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #94
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pnoy View Post
What's the break in period for these bearings after installed, answer varies from 500 miles up to 1200 miles?
Since technically the bearings should never touch the crank, you can run it like you stole it once you drain the assembly lube contaminated oil out.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #95
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Quote:
Date: Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Rod Bearing Question
To: Bert <bert@bebearings.com>

Bert,

I finally got around to installing the bearings over the weekend. I only have one question, do I need to break these in? Any special oil change intervals or anything?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: Rod Bearing Question
To: Noah Holmes <xxxx@gmail.com>

Bearings don't need a special break in or break in oil. You should be good to go.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=39
      07-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #96
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Definitely recommend changing the oil after the first 500 miles though....
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #97
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Question - is this batch of BE bearings some are waiting on different from the first batch that were around in beginning of the year?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #98
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Question - is this batch of BE bearings some are waiting on different from the first batch that were around in beginning of the year?
They are the same specs.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #99
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
They are the same specs.
Thabks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #100
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Be May sell 5000 sets of these things or 50 but in any event it's a small operation with the ability to interact individually. If I were them I would not promise to cover a thing unless granted unfettered access to any failed engine at the customer's cost. They probably have a better policy than that, but people suck, and want free shit, and I am glad I don't have to deal with it myself
You have no idea how close to the head of the nail you hit.

The BE Bearings warranty has always been advertised as the same warranty offered by Clevite, the manufacturer. That warranty covers the bearings themselves, and not any damage. But a situation arose recently that motivated BE Bearings to reevaluate that warranty and see if it made sense to go above and beyond what they had publicly stated. The BE partners decided, should an actual failure be attributed to the BE Bearings themselves, that BE would be willing to rebuild the engine at their Los Angeles distributor's shop, plus the replacement costs of all bearings (rods and mains) of any brand chosen by the car's owner. But proving an engine failure is caused by the bearing and nothing else isn't an easy job and requires a lot of work, and as Richbot says, direct access to the engine itself.

Here's why BE Bearings got motivated to reevaluate their warranty. This story should dispel any assumptions that car owners are all coming to the forums in good faith with intimate knowledge about the problems with their own car.

BE recently received an email that claimed the owner's engine suffered a catastrophic loss, and was diagnosed by his shop as rod bearing failure due to BE Bearings. The owner promised his silence in exchange for a free engine. BE Bearings took the following and actions immediately:
  1. Notified the owner they would not offer any help at the end of a gun or from anything that sounded remotely like blackmail.
  2. BE asked for pictures of all bearings, front and back. Pictures of the block. Pictures of every rod bolt, and all connecting rods and caps.
  3. Provide BE an oil sample.
  4. Provide proof that crankshaft journals and clearances were measured before bearing installation, either by bore gauges or Plastigage. Without these measurements and/or proof they occurred (detailed labor receipt, etc.), there can be no further discussion about warranty repair.
  5. Grant BE direct access to the engine itself to obtain measurements, photographs, and take the damaged parts to experts for analysis. Since the engine was in the Los Angeles area, that meant granting BE access to the shop where the engine was disassembled.
  6. Root cause would be determined by two independent race engine builders with multiple world championships under their belts, plus the engine builder at Auto Talent in Los Angeles, CA.
  7. If oil analysis showed a breakdown of bearing material, clearances were properly measured during bearing installation, and two of three experts determined the rod bearings themselves had failed, then BE was prepared to make the above warranty offer.

So here's how it played out. Bert took a day off work and drove 400 miles to the shop with the engine. The shop owner gave more details that the car owner hadn't previously mentioned.
  1. The car was supercharged.
  2. The failure occurred while on the race track.
  3. The shop owner advised the car owner the failure was NOT caused by BE Bearings.
  4. The engine seized and did not rotate, the rods were all still connected, did not break, and did not seize on the crankshaft.
  5. #1 main bearing was blue.

Bert and the shop owner worked together to partially disassemble a few of the connecting rods and further inspect the damage. Since the crankshaft was seized on the main bearing, it was impossible to rotate the engine to obtain access to all connecting rod journals. Rods #1, #7, and #8 were disassembled. Photos were taken, and an oil sample was provided. The #1 rod was blue, but still intact and held by the BE-ARP rod bolts; the rod bearing was missing. #7 rod bearings had some particle streaks showing contamination in the oil supply itself. #8 rod bearing was virtually clean. Very clear that the farther away from #1 main bearing you went, fewer particles were in the oil stream to damage the connecting rod bearings.

The photos and damage descriptions were sent to both engine experts and the oil sample was sent to Blackstone. Both engine experts were unanimous in their findings that the #1 main had seized (this is why the crank wouldn't rotate), and the metallic particles from the damaged #1 main bearing caused the #1 rod bearing to disintegrate. Both engine builders offered the same explanation that this is a classic main bearing failure when the next two connecting rod bearings are destroyed because of it. The root caused showed the main bearing had failed, not the BE Bearings.

BE notified the owner of their findings, and that was the end of the discussion.

So what's the moral to the story here? There's a few:
  1. BE was prepared to go above and beyond a parts-only warranty if it could be proven by the experts that the bearings themselves had caused the failure.
  2. BE would need direct access to the engine itself to inspect, measure, and take photos.
  3. BE has the experts and knowledge to figure out what really happened and in this case did all of it at their expense.
  4. BE's experts would make the failure determination, not the car owner's shop.
  5. BE will take a methodical approach, and will refuse to cooperate if demands are made at the end of a gun.
  6. BE may be a small operation, but was prepared to go far beyond what most people expected.
  7. Not all car owners have good intentions when $20,000 out of their pocket is on the line.

Believe me when I say this: this isn't even 1/2 the story. I tried to make it as short as possible to get the main points across. The point Richbot makes is that warranty is sometimes situational. Since engine wear and driving habits affect the wear of the bearings sold by BE, it's unavoidable that the warranty offer in this case, or in future cases could be situation, and not the same as the situation above (e.g. owner can't ship an engine to California for repair, etc.).
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #101
Titan_br
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 with AA Stage 3 SC

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can't wait, just placed an order for your BE bearings and specified arp bolts
I placed it too.

Status now:
Thanks for your order. We are currently out of bolts and expect to have more in about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #102
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I think a lot of people won't be covered by that warranty since they don't get clearances checked and documented before installing the new bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #103
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I think a lot of people won't be covered by that warranty since they don't get clearances checked and documented before installing the new bearings.
I was thinking the same.

Also, if clearances it is a factor considered in failure analysis then maybe is shouldn't be ignored and maybe one size does not fit all...

Just thinking aloud ...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #104
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
"4. Provide proof that crankshaft journals and clearances were measured before bearing installation, either by bore gauges or Plastigage. Without these measurements and/or proof they occurred (detailed labor receipt, etc.), there can be no further discussion about warranty repair."

Does this mean we should get measurements and provide them on purchase for a best effort fit or is it not necessary. If not necessary I would guess the measurements are needed in failure analysis because you simply want as much data as possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #105
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
I certainly do not expect warranty of anything past material defects with $600 bearings.

I would never warranty them like they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #106
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Both engine builders offered the same explanation that this is a classic main bearing failure when the next two connecting rod bearings are destroyed because of it. The root caused showed the main bearing had failed, not the BE Bearings.
Does this mean our main bearings are also an issue? I thought we were ok with those!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #107
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Does this mean our main bearings are also an issue? I thought we were ok with those!
Main bearing issues in our cars are far less frequent, but not nonexistent.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892838
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #108
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Change your oil
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #109
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
...Does this mean we should get measurements and provide them on purchase for a best effort fit or is it not necessary. If not necessary I would guess the measurements are needed in failure analysis because you simply want as much data as possible?
The parts warranty on BE Bearings is always there. If you're asking them to go above and beyond providing replacements parts, then it's not unreasonable to ask for proof that clearances were measured and within BE Bearing specifications published at their web site. The point is that insufficient clearance will cause bearings to wear and fail, so if you want to prove that the bearings themselves had a manufacturing defect that lead to a failure, then insufficient clearances must be ruled out first. That's not unreasonable, and only becomes an issue in case of a failure and finger pointing.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #110
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
The parts warranty on BE Bearings is always there. If you're asking them to go above and beyond providing replacements parts, then it's not unreasonable to ask for proof that clearances were measured and within BE Bearing specifications published at their web site. The point is that insufficient clearance will cause bearings to wear and fail, so if you want to prove that the bearings themselves had a manufacturing defect that lead to a failure, then insufficient clearances must be ruled out first. That's not unreasonable, and only becomes an issue in case of a failure and finger pointing.
I'm not saying it is unreasonable I'm just saying not many will do it.

Also perhaps you should consider offering or selling plastiguage kits with the BE bearings and BE rods.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread