BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #89
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Update coming by end of this weekend.

I've got everything I need for the next steps which I outlined in this post:

Step 1: Try to read an MDM car.*
Step 2: Correspond with BT--see where we can get with that.
Step 3: Determine how to proceed after step 2.

* I'm hoping this will work but it may not since the ability to "see" that part of DSC/MDM may not yet be coded in the tool. But it seems sensible to test that first before bugging BT about "can you add this".
For more details refer to the post linked above and general discussion on page 4 of the thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #90
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Update coming by end of this weekend.

I've got everything I need for the next step.
Nice! Hoping for some good news.
      10-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #91
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Nice! Hoping for some good news.
Me too. If not, I'll try to get BT to add the ability to read it. And then we'll go from there!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #92
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Update:

The BT Scan Tool can't "see" the portion of the DSC/MDM part of the Tech Package. This isn't unexpected for reasons that can be found in earlier parts of this thread.

All is not lost, I'm on to step 2--contacting BT about adding the ability to read it and maybe more functionality (activations, commands) around it. I'll see where I get with that and report back.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to pursue other approaches that's welcome too of course!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #93
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Update:

The BT Scan Tool can't "see" the portion of the DSC/MDM part of the Tech Package. This isn't unexpected for reasons that can be found in earlier parts of this thread.

All is not lost, I'm on to step 2--contacting BT about adding the ability to read it and maybe more functionality (activations, commands) around it. I'll see where I get with that and report back.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to pursue other approaches that's welcome too of course!
Thanks for the update again! Back to waiting.
      11-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #94
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Thanks for the update again! Back to waiting.
On the plus side, I have a car with tech I have access to now so that's no longer a barrier. I wish there were a way to speed this up!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #95
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks Finnegan. I wish I had more time, because playing with a CAN BUS analyzer would be fun, and I'd probably learn a ton. If I can find a cheap one or one with a free trial I might try to do it... if I can find the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #96
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

While I applaud the "technical" knowledge necessary to accomplish this task, I have to ask, "Why?" "Because it's there" isn't really an answer.

Thus far, the posts in here all say the same thing, "If you could do that, I'd love it. I'd pay for it." Really? It seems to me that if your amortize the time spent on this project, the actual costs in obtaining the tools and equipment, etc., the necessary costs one would have to charge to offer something like this to the masses would far exceed the cost of simply optioning your car with the M-Button to begin with. Frankly, I've never understood this thought process - "I really wish 'X' company would offer the car with 'Y' option instead of the way they do it now." Well, okay, but they don't, for a reason - usually because it would be far too cost prohibitive to option the car a'la carte they way people want it done. I've had this discussion with my other cars as well, especially my Corvette. People on the Vette forums bitch and moan that the DVD system doesn't play movies while in motion and some other nav system complaints. They have spent YEARS trying to hack the code in the nav system, all to no avail. The time and effort wasted on that would have paid for an aftermarket nav install more to their liking a thousand times over. Why do it? For the "fun" of beating the BMW engineers and decoding their work? Great, but that's not a business model, and it certainly won't help when the warranty is voided.

Just my $0.02.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #97
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
It seems to me that if your amortize the time spent on this project, the actual costs in obtaining the tools and equipment, etc., the necessary costs one would have to charge to offer something like this to the masses would far exceed the cost of simply optioning your car with the M-Button to begin with.

Just my $0.02.
a) There are already lots of cars without the M button. So its too late for that solution. Nevermind that practically speaking, that solution is impossible since there are thousands of individuals responsible for ordering cars, many of them dealership employees who will not become the eventual owner of the car.

b) Plenty of aftermarket solutions exist to provide OEM or OEM-like functionality, sometimes cheaper than OEM.

c) Even people with the M-Button would still benefit from being able to switch on MDM via the console.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #98
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I doubt BT will add this -- there simply isn't much of a business reason to do so. You need a CAN bus analyzer to read everything on the bus. Basically, you'll need to reverse-engineer the messages and figure out which one is the DSC enable/disable commands.

It will be a lot of work, but probably not impossible.
PG, I agree, that's what will probably happen, but I'm going to ask anyway. The worst they can say is "no".

If they do, then the CAN bus analyzer is the required route. And that's where I'll gracefully bow out since that's way out of my league.

As for the questions about "why", well "why not" give it a shot? There are module-based solutions that have already provided the ability to do things the car cannot do with "stock". For example, it's now possible to run a DVD while this particular car is in motion. It appears that in terms of electronic modules and mechanics MDM and non-MDM cars are the same. It's a matter of trying to send the appropriate message on the CAN bus. So there is good reason to think we might be able to do this.

As to the financial analysis, sometimes people do things for other reasons--like "fun". If you look at a DIY project on your car, say an stealth install of a V1, if you modelled the costs (of your time) vs. some "expert" doing it the expert might be the better deal. But for some working on the car and doing it themselves is fun. This project is a bit of investigation and problem solving--a puzzle if you will. Some, like me, enjoy working through problem solving and puzzles...simple as that.

Also, there are folks on this board who IRL work with bus messaging, electrical engineering, and other related professions. We have access to some good minds/resources, and those would be needed to get to a working solution. Some of them may want to contribute to give back to the community. I for one have found the community here very helpful and this is one way (very small way) I can give back to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #99
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Good luck on your quest! But you might be out of your league. My car had a major DSC Malfunction in MDM mode while i was on the Nordschleife. It took BMW engineers from Munich a whole week to resolve the issue. the car has to many sensors to measure pitch, rol,l wheel speed and ETC. Our cars have a GYRO or pitch yaw controller or what ever it's called under neath the drivers seat this is what failed on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #100
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

If you want MDM mode buy a car with Tech package!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #101
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As for the questions about "why", well "why not" give it a shot? There are module-based solutions that have already provided the ability to do things the car cannot do with "stock". For example, it's now possible to run a DVD while this particular car is in motion. It appears that in terms of electronic modules and mechanics MDM and non-MDM cars are the same. It's a matter of trying to send the appropriate message on the CAN bus. So there is good reason to think we might be able to do this.

As to the financial analysis, sometimes people do things for other reasons--like "fun". If you look at a DIY project on your car, say an stealth install of a V1, if you modelled the costs (of your time) vs. some "expert" doing it the expert might be the better deal. But for some working on the car and doing it themselves is fun. This project is a bit of investigation and problem solving--a puzzle if you will. Some, like me, enjoy working through problem solving and puzzles...simple as that.

Also, there are folks on this board who IRL work with bus messaging, electrical engineering, and other related professions. We have access to some good minds/resources, and those would be needed to get to a working solution. Some of them may want to contribute to give back to the community. I for one have found the community here very helpful and this is one way (very small way) I can give back to it.
All true, but I believe that the original intent of this "program" was to turn it into a viable business opportunity. EAS sells the DVD "override" box you mentioned earlier (nearly $200, plus labor to install, and it requires cutting the factory wires - auto warranty void, probably on all the electronics in the car, per BMW), but I'm willing to bet it isn't a huge seller - they are probably breaking even on it, at best. Still, they are making a product and selling it, and they aren't selling it to lose money. The same is true here. Doing something for "fun" isn't a business - it's a hobby. Someone here is going to want to make money doing this - they aren't simply going to travel the country installing this stuff for free in the cars of all those requesting it. So, money will exchange hands. My point was that the cost associated with doing this will far exceed what it would cost to simply option the car from the factory with it already installed. Retrofitting is hardly ever a money saver. Add to that the voidance of your warranty, and you can see my point (unless you are simply in love with changing things for the hell of doing it - in which case, we aren't talking about a business opportunity, we're again talking about a hobby, and my point is moot then).

One more thing - I see this kind of thing all over other message boards - "Hey, let's all work together and see if we can hack the original designers' intentions." I have yet to really see it work. It's one thing to splice some wires to fool a DVD player into working. It's quite another to reprogram an entire car to allow it to operated differently than intended from the factory. Good luck, but I have a suspicion it will simply peter out and go nowhere. This thread is already gathering dust, and no one has reported any significant progress.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #102
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
All true, but I believe that the original intent of this "program" was to turn it into a viable business opportunity. EAS sells the DVD "override" box you mentioned earlier (nearly $200, plus labor to install, and it requires cutting the factory wires - auto warranty void, probably on all the electronics in the car, per BMW), but I'm willing to bet it isn't a huge seller - they are probably breaking even on it, at best. Still, they are making a product and selling it, and they aren't selling it to lose money. The same is true here. Doing something for "fun" isn't a business - it's a hobby. Someone here is going to want to make money doing this - they aren't simply going to travel the country installing this stuff for free in the cars of all those requesting it. So, money will exchange hands. My point was that the cost associated with doing this will far exceed what it would cost to simply option the car from the factory with it already installed. Retrofitting is hardly ever a money saver. Add to that the voidance of your warranty, and you can see my point (unless you are simply in love with changing things for the hell of doing it - in which case, we aren't talking about a business opportunity, we're again talking about a hobby, and my point is moot then).
I beg to differ. there are only 2 wires cut (the other 2 are merely tapped), and it's one of our most popular upgrades for MY09+ CiC-equipped M3s.

Good luck on the project guys.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #103
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I beg to differ. there are only 2 wires cut (the other 2 are merely tapped), and it's one of our most popular upgrades for MY09+ CiC-equipped M3s.

Good luck on the project guys.
Thanks Tom! If we all took the kind of advice some have offered the list of available mods and options (such as the modules EAS offers) would be rather limited!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #104
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All true, but I believe that the original intent of this "program" was to turn it into a viable business opportunity.
Nope. Here's the OP:

"My M3 has no MDM on it at the moment. Is there a possible way for me to get one for my car? (I have no iDrive)"

Nothing about business opportunities there. The guy simply wanted to know if he good get MDM somehow. Others are interested also. If you are not interested, your best option is probably to just go read other things that do interest you. I encourage you to do just that.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #105
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Nope. Here's the OP:

"My M3 has no MDM on it at the moment. Is there a possible way for me to get one for my car? (I have no iDrive)"

Nothing about business opportunities there. The guy simply wanted to know if he good get MDM somehow. Others are interested also. If you are not interested, your best option is probably to just go read other things that do interest you. I encourage you to do just that.
I never said the OP wanted to start a business - I said that the responses in here all speak of, "Gee if someone would do this, it would be great! I'd pay $$ for it...." That's the business I speak of.

As for tom @ eas - I like your products. But, my point remains the same - someone engineered a little box to fool the DVD player. Great. That's pretty easy to do - it's not reprogramming the whole car. A totally different thing. Also, you admit you have to cut wires. There goes the warranty, and you know it, same with this little project. All I'm saying is be honest about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #106
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I never said the OP wanted to start a business - I said that the responses in here all speak of, "Gee if someone would do this, it would be great! I'd pay $$ for it...." That's the business I speak of.

As for tom @ eas - I like your products. But, my point remains the same - someone engineered a little box to fool the DVD player. Great. That's pretty easy to do - it's not reprogramming the whole car. A totally different thing. Also, you admit you have to cut wires. There goes the warranty, and you know it, same with this little project. All I'm saying is be honest about it.
I'm not sure where there any clear examples of anyone is not being honest in there?

The two aren't even closely related. But on the TVinMOTION modules:

1. It's not easy to do. There are multiple signals in the car that (not only ebrake and ABS) that indicate the vehicle is in motion. The modules are even USB upgradable.
2. Warranty cannot be voided if there isn't an issue in the first place, nor if the item in question didn't cause said damage in the first place. To date, there has never been a single issue with reliability or performance on any of our modules.

IMHO - If you're not interested in either of the projects, there's really no need to comment on the thread.

However, a lot of new innovative ideas/projects are the end result from other people saying "they cant".

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #107
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Guys, I've looked at other posts by our friend and I see a similar trend in terms of responses/comments to the ones (all 23 to date) we see here. I'm not responding any further than this--I simply won't take the bait.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #108
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never said the OP wanted to start a business - I said that the responses in here all speak of...
Nah, gotta disagree. Here's you're post again:

"All true, but I believe that the original intent of this 'program' was to turn it into a viable business opportunity."

Clearly that was not the original intent. Also, not all of the responses relate to a business opportunity. In fact, most don't.

Just keeping it real for you. Since you seem to be quite concerned with the goings-on in here, I have to assume you would want to stick strictly to the facts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #109
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Interestingly, the M3 GTS which info was released today does not have iDrive (understandably). I would assume it has some kind of MDM function. I wonder how they implemented it and if it can be retrofitted somehow.

Below is the only image I could see that shows the iDrive controller is not present. I look forward to getting more info on:
1) Whether MDM is present or not (I would wager it has some form of it, maybe with even more options)
2) How it is accessed

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #110
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Nice catch Frenchboy. I am now very curious about those things as well.
Appreciate 0