BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by revster View Post
But for me, it was substituting one potential problem for another.

The first few months, the clear bra was great. Until wear set in and then the edges became more noticeable. Perhaps if I was more careful and diligent, I could have kept it looking much better. But less than a year later, it was just really obvious that instead of a clean, shiny front end, I was looking at a plasticky front end.
I've seen this before too, particularly on cars that are parked outside.
Also, the bra looks like crap when it gets beat up.

You also need to change them out every 3 years or so since they become brittle and won't just pull off in a big piece anymore. It's litterally chipping away at small pieces of the bra once it gets old and hard.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revster View Post
But for me, it was substituting one potential problem for another.

The first few months, the clear bra was great. Until wear set in and then the edges became more noticeable. Perhaps if I was more careful and diligent, I could have kept it looking much better. But less than a year later, it was just really obvious that instead of a clean, shiny front end, I was looking at a plasticky front end.
Sounds like more of a problem with your specific choice of the material and installation/installer you chose. My bra is two years old and just as invisible (well 95% invisible at least) as it was when installed.

I really shopped around long and hard for the material and installer I chose. I talked to and saw a lot of work for all the chumps who do or claim to do "all the work" for Ferrari/Ferrari's and much of it was crap - the cheapest and quickest job that could be done. Like most things you get what you pay for.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #25
Spitfire3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '10 E90

I had $1000 worth of Ventureshield on my black GT500. I hated it.
I always noticed it, made waxing a pain and always caught my eye. I decided against doing it on my AW M3. I'll deal with a few chips, at least I can work the paint with product and not worry about that stupid clear bra. I hang way back behind cars on the road and never follow trucks or anything with big tires and no flaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #26
revster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire3D View Post
I had $1000 worth of Ventureshield on my black GT500. I hated it.
I always noticed it, made waxing a pain and always caught my eye.
Yup, even with a perfect install, you'll always notice it.

And the amount of effort it takes to keep it pristine is significantly more than taking care of bare paint.

More than a few times, I was unable to immediately clean off a ton of bugs after a long drive on the I5 and it was just horrible getting those off without harming the finish of the clear bra just a day or so later.
      05-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #27
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

It's definitely a two-edged sword for me. Under some circumstances I would definitely do it again. For example I have it on my 550i but it's a daily driver. Not having it would be worse than what has happened to the clear bra through daily exposure to sun and road (you should see the windshield). I don't have it on my M3 but it's a weekend car and I'm willing to tolerate some minor stuff that will inevitably happen.
      05-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #28
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Definitely get a clear bra.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #29
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5

What he said. My wife has 400 miles on her 2011 X5 and already took a rock off the hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I am debating ths as well. I had it on my 335 coupe and looked ok. But the car was a weekend car and I sold it w/ only 4K miles....

M3 will also be my weekend car and I probably won't keep it that long. I am not planning on spending another $900 to save it for the next owner.... I've never heard of clear bra being a deal breaker when selling a car.... But who know, I may change my mind when she gets in.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #31
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Exclamation

I've had it applied to my last two cars, and it really is a tough call. The problem is if you're neurotic enough to fixate on stone chips, you are more than likely the type that will be dissatisfied with even the best clear bra install.
I did the bumper only on the first car, the installer did a perfect custom install, but I was always aware the bumper looked different - almost like a repaint. When the hood and fenders collected chips anyway, I decided if I did this again, it would have to be the full front end.
My current car now has a full ($1200) VentureShield protected front end. And again it bugs me that my pristine hood paint is under this less than perfect plastic film. No chips, even with the high speed tailgating situations I seem to end up in frequently, but I've deprived myself of the perfect paint job I paid for, so I really CAN'T recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #32
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

it's gonna be more noticeable on AW so ANAL as I am with rock chips, I know that seeing that line in the hood would drive me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:28 AM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsman View Post
I know that seeing that line in the hood would drive me nuts!
It seems apparent that you have never heard of a full custom wrap. No edges visible in the middle of any panels (and no edges that really catch your eye at all). Look up some pics. Such work can be very impressive.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I'd suggest a full panel wrap. Even if you only do the front clip of the car. At least you won't see noticeable lines in the middle of a panel.

If you don't want rock chips you need it. If you don't care about rock chips then don't. There are gray areas in there, but just see which side you're closer to and go with it. The great thing is you can always have the clear bra removed and it will be the way it was before the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #35
LAF-M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have it installed on the bumper , hood, fender edges, and the side view mirrors. Most of my friends do not even notice it. I have an AW E90. Though, once you notice the faint line in the hood its hard not to see it.. Doesnt drive me crazy, but it's like when you meet this fine looking woman and then notice that she has a faint mustache,,,, you see nothing but that mustache !!!! No matter how hot she is everywhere else... LOL.....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #36
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

When it comes to paint protection film (aka clear bra), the installer is the most important. Here are some samples of what it would look like when the entire panel is covered fully

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #37
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

And samples of it completed on this black Superleggera:

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #38
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Your installers do what appears to be flawless work - I wish you were close by so I could inspect the work!
Part of the problem is in my area, this seems to be a bit of a "gypsy" business. Standouts with good internet rep seem to come and go. I picked a well recommended shop and paid top dollar. When I wasn't completely satisfied they redid a couple of panels. (I later found out their top installer did not do my car).
I could take pictures where the install would look flawless, but the bottom line is it just not!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
KCm3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've had the 3M version on three of my cars. You will always notice the clearbra when waxing and washing. Might have to try the full hood version sometime. I found the margin running across the hood to be annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #40
David@Sonic MS
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: MP4-12C

clear bra for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #41
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Protective Films View Post
And samples of it completed on this black Superleggera:
Enuff said with those pics.

OP: I will add that if you are on your second paint job on the front bumper, you might run into problems replacing the clear bra down the road. You have to make sure the paint is fully cured and doesn't adhere to the clear bra itself.
      06-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #42
PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BC Forged Wheels

Stunning work by Premier, that's for sure!

Let me add one more important thing which is using the correct cleaners specialize for clear bra afterward. You all spend a fair amount of money, make sure you use the top notch products to keep it always look like new.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #43
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Here's Another Testimonial to a Clear Bra

New GT3 RS on the way home from its first track event encounters a large piece of thrown up debris trashing a section of the clear bra, but leaving paint untouched. The linked thread shows the install of the clear bra by Norm Schilling down in Dallas as well as the damage done by the debris. Norm does excellent work: http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5121

With a quality full front end wrap, you really have to look hard to see that the car has been protected.
      06-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #44
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have a question about applying the clear bra to the windshield. Would that affect the performance of the rain sensing wipers, defrost, etc. on the m3?

I haven't got my car yet to really play with all the features and know all the in's and out's.
Appreciate 0