BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

02-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
RiCoda
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a E92 M3

M3 Random Errors, car goes into limp mode

Hi Everyone
My E92 2009 M3 coupe has started throwing these errors at me, they occur randomly at any time and usually clear after stopping the car, could be several times in one day or none at all for several days, I can't get it to replicate the errors from certain driving conditions, basically happens at just random times and turning it off for a few minutes clears the errors, local bmw service centre (only one around) has had a few looks at it and now thinks it's a throttle actuator, I'm aware these are a common failure item and was just wondering if anyone had the same errors with a throttle actuator failure. What gives me doubts about that is the things like the flat tyre monitor erroring at the same time. I'm a bit reluctant to fork out the cash for the repairs if it doesn't fix it or not needed .. cheers and thank Dave
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
bennyfx
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp

plug a OBD scanner/ reader in and you'll know for sure?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
RiCoda
Rep

it does show the error for throttle actuators (2B16), but my point is it shows other errors as well so could be something else causing the errors
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
Charlievee
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When your TA's are the issue, all those errors will come up (FTM included). If that code comes up, it's definitely your throttle actuators. You'll usually get a few errors, not just the one. TA's are a certainty to fail on these cars, they will need to get done at some point, so it's definitely not a waste of money.

The intermittent error and clearing on restart is also typical of TA's starting to fail. It'll progressively get worse till your prestart checks fail and you can't start the car up. You'll burn out your mosfets on the TA in time also. You could attempt a rebuild yourself if you want to do it on the cheap, but it's not an easy job to get a drill through a hardened steel shaft or find quality made gears with the shaft attached, and that's if you havent burnt out your mosfets.

Probably best to bite the bullet and get refurbished ones with a core return, or just get brand new ones.

I got brand new ones from FCPeuro with a lifetime warranty. It's a straight forward job you can do yourself if you're the DIY type.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
RiCoda
Rep

Thanks for the replies. yeah I'm going to change them myself (been fiddling with cars for 40yrs and looks like an easy job) it was just the unrelated errors which had me concerned it may be something else and the actuators could have just been a waste of money (at this stage, if you know what I mean). Just gotta source some here in aus now, or has anyone had them shipped from overseas with no issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

I would go with these guys: https://www.rebuild.org.uk/

how many k's has your car done out of interest?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Charlievee
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You'll get them within the week from FCPEuro. I made an order for accessory belts recently on a Thursday and they arrived by the following Monday. They're a more expensive than refurb ones or other online vendors, but you get OEM that's brand new, with a lifetime warranty, and their top notch cutomer service gives peace of mind. It'll come out about 2k for both delivered to Sydney.

I feel like I'm promoting these guys, but I have no affiliation with them whatsoever. These guys deserve the word of mouth, they honor their lifetime warranty on engine oil!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
pubo
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just a side note, it could be the IDC as well. But most likely culprit are the TAs.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
RiCoda
Rep

Hi Ordered a pair (VDO brand) thru Tuner Motor Sport (about $1300US for 2 delivered with priority mail) the car has just clocked over 100,000k's
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoda View Post
Hi Ordered a pair (VDO brand) thru Tuner Motor Sport (about $1300US for 2 delivered with priority mail) the car has just clocked over 100,000k's
Rebuild kits are a fraction of the price. Open up one and see if the gears are stripped. If so, $100 may solve your problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #11
RiCoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Rebuild kits are a fraction of the price. Open up one and see if the gears are stripped. If so, $100 may solve your problem.
looked at that and also discovered it can be caused by a circuit board failure, so I just bit the bullet and decided to go with new units
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #12
S65_Screamer
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoda View Post
Hi Everyone
My E92 2009 M3 coupe has started throwing these errors at me, they occur randomly at any time and usually clear after stopping the car, could be several times in one day or none at all for several days, I can't get it to replicate the errors from certain driving conditions, basically happens at just random times and turning it off for a few minutes clears the errors, local bmw service centre (only one around) has had a few looks at it and now thinks it's a throttle actuator, I'm aware these are a common failure item and was just wondering if anyone had the same errors with a throttle actuator failure. What gives me doubts about that is the things like the flat tyre monitor erroring at the same time. I'm a bit reluctant to fork out the cash for the repairs if it doesn't fix it or not needed .. cheers and thank Dave
Judging by the car to be in limp mode, I would say actuators. When my actuators went, I had the same error codes.

If it wasn't in limp mode (reduced engine) then I would suggest it's one of the abs speed sensors.

The best way is to have the code readout with a scanner.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #13
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I replaced my actuators a few years ago. It’s not too hard to diy. I never got any codes but instead, intermittent engine issues with start up. I’ve heard of them causing your codes though. I’ve had no problems after replacing.

When you see them - they contain delicate plastic cogs and electric circuit boards and sit right in the middle of the engine vee, you wonder what bmw were thinking...they get cooked
Appreciate 0