BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I'm completely aware of that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Turbocharged cars have completely different A/F and timing requirements versus naturally aspirated cars. You can't compare them at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Mike accidentally sent me the wrong drf from an earlier run. He sent me my last one, which is much better. I'll post it up in a few minutes.
      11-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the dyno chart I posted originally compared my best stock run with one of the intermediate runs in the middle of Jeremy's tuning (he did a total of about 12 runs, IIRC). The following chart includes one of my last runs (in green), which has a much healthier A/F ratio. I left the intermediate run in, so that everyone could see how Jeremy was able to smooth out the dips in torque, especially in the middle of the rev range.

Here's a chart with just the best stock run and the last run.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful contributions that helped to get this sorted out.
Attached Images

11-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
...looks like I'm off the fence with Tluds review. Now if I can only find a PowerChip source in the Twin Cities. Any suggestions or do I need to scour a source in Chi-town?
Mike and Jeremy have set up group buys in New York and Houston now. If there's enough interest, they may be able to set something up in Chicago. I don't want to volunteer them because it was a lot of work to put it together, but I know there are a good number of M3 owners in the midwest who might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Please post the response here. Your review got me to the top of the fence. I'm almost ready to jump to the other side. Looking forward to what Mike and Jeremy say.
It's safe to jump. My apologies for posting up the wrong dyno without checking it first. After the way they transformed my car, I can't recommend Mike and Jeremy enough.
      11-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
...looks like I'm off the fence with Tluds review. Now if I can only find a PowerChip source in the Twin Cities. Any suggestions or do I need to scour a source in Chi-town?
I've only been in the TC for a short time, but I've had the Orr Autosport & JB Eurotech recommended to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Man that air fuel chart range is too far out to get a good look at it. Could you scale it to 16:1 down to 12:1 so we could read it. The final tuned air fuel does look a ton better though. As I told you when I first posted something didn't look right and it turns out that was true. Definitely can't go wrong with a Powerchip reflash.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #29
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Man that air fuel chart range is too far out to get a good look at it. Could you scale it to 16:1 down to 12:1 so we could read it. The final tuned air fuel does look a ton better though. As I told you when I first posted something didn't look right and it turns out that was true. Definitely can't go wrong with a Powerchip reflash.
+1 on the scale the range down. But, that AFR chart looks MUCH BETTER, and more "normal". I know PowerChip carries a god rep, so to be honest the original chart kinda of shocked me. Glad to see it was just a simple error of posting the wrong dyno sheet.

Enjoy your new beast!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's a blown up shot of the A/F ratios and a rescaled version of the chart above. In terms of A/F ratio, the tune is even more conservative than stock, and well within safe limits.
Attached Images

11-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #31
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Tlud - this is EXCELLENT data for the community...especially the stock runs as a basis for comparison. Thanks so much for posting this, and enjoy that new power! ; )
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #32
bigpuna
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Those AFR's look much better. Its nice to see realistic numbers on a mostly stock car from a software flash and not the over inflated 30+ HP often advertised by some vendors.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #33
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Just an extra 2 cents...

Personally didn't make as much hp as Tom, but the transformation in driveability is unreal. I was impressed to say the least.

The comparison that comes to mind is how the E46 M3 drove with the power button 'on' versus 'off.' The engine just seems that much more eager to rev. I wish my commute was longer, and that Allen Pkway was more straight.

Last edited by Ajax-Prime; 11-20-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

Afr's are dangerious.. Be very careful with tuning.. There were m3's that went kaboom..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #35
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Throttle response improves greatly with a tune, it's pretty mind blowing how big of a difference it is.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

[QUOTE=TLud;6242919]Mike and Jeremy have set up group buys in New York and Houston now. If there's enough interest, they may be able to set something up in Chicago. I don't want to volunteer them because it was a lot of work to put it together, but I know there are a good number of M3 owners in the midwest who might be interested.

If Powerchip sets up a run in Chicago/Michigan, I'm in. Committed. MVAugusta - are you interested in a group buy?
      11-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #37
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

I don't know.. I heard some story's on the tune's.. If you search. You will see that when the afr's are changed they could cause problem's..Also how are you going to reprogram them,when thay are erased.. Dinan is the tune i might get, because of the warranty and the conservative tune..Also the diffrence between a dinan or other tunes are not much more hp.. Your car might have 10 or 15 more hp then my car stock.. You never know? So to tricky for the hp..Plus no disrespect to the forum,but I think there are some guy's that get freebee's to talk good about a vendors product to sell it.. With a mod. there is always a disapointment some how some where.. Pulley squeaks, when turning all the way and the hiflow filter flutter's.. The exhaust smell's like hell..The H&R springs are firm and thay are going to kill my shocks soon..But the good outwieghs the bad.. so far..I'm good at this..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #38
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
Also how are you going to reprogram them,when thay are erased..
Powerchip has a backup of my custom tune and can reflash my car in the event BMW flashes my car to stock after an update.

Quote:
Dinan is the tune i might get, because of the warranty
I'd search the forum for more details before banking on Dinan's warranty....

Quote:
.Plus no disrespect to the forum,but I think there are some guy's that get freebee's to talk good about a vendors product to sell it..
Everyone in the Houston Powerchip Group Buy paid for the tune. I wish there was a freebie!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #39
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know.. I heard some story's on the tune's.. If you search. You will see that when the afr's are changed they could cause problem's..Also how are you going to reprogram them,when thay are erased.. Dinan is the tune i might get, because of the warranty and the conservative tune..Also the diffrence between a dinan or other tunes are not much more hp.. Your car might have 10 or 15 more hp then my car stock.. You never know? So to tricky for the hp..Plus no disrespect to the forum,but I think there are some guy's that get freebee's to talk good about a vendors product to sell it.. With a mod. there is always a disapointment some how some where.. Pulley squeaks, when turning all the way and the hiflow filter flutter's.. The exhaust smell's like hell..The H&R springs are firm and thay are going to kill my shocks soon..But the good outwieghs the bad.. so far..I'm good at this..
I understand that some guys prefer to leave well enough alone, and there are often downsides to modifications. I also understand that there are a lot of bogus products out there backed by vendors making outrageous claims, and many of them are downright detrimental. The trick is to weed through the BS, take your time and do your research. My car is far from stock now, but my mods have been conservative and, with one exception, I've only purchased proven products from trusted vendors. And aside from that one exception, I've never been disappointed.

You seem focused on A/F ratios, but if you look at my chart, you'll see that my A/F ratios are more conservative than even the stock map. I'll be the first to admit that a tune can give you warranty issues because the dealer will always try to find something to blame a problem on, but this tune itself is not going to be the cause of a malfunction. I'm all about open discussions of mods, but let's keep it factual. Instead of vaguely referencing "some stories" about some unspecified tunes, post some concrete information.

I seriously considered the Dinan tune since I already have the Dinan exhaust and because it would have been much more convenient (like others have said, I wouldn't count on Dinan's warranty). However, after driving an M3 with the Dinan tune (before I ever considered the Powerchip tune), I decided I wouldn't waste my money on it. It felt no different than stock, so there was really no point in getting it. The difference between Dinan and Powerchip is very, very noticeable.

Also, maybe you didn't mean to direct this to me personally, but I take offense to your comment that "there are some guy's that get freebee's to talk good about a vendors product to sell it." Posting that kind of comment in my thread implies that I'm only hyping this product because I got it for free or a special deal. As this thread demonstrates, I'm all about full disclosure and open discussions and would have posted if I had gotten a different deal than anyone else in the Houston group buy. A number of people on this forum have met me and can vouch that that's not the kind of person I am. I'll admit that I was excited when I posted this thread, but I backed it up with hard evidence.
      11-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #40
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime View Post
I wish my commute was longer, and that Allen Pkway was more straight.
Just don't end up like O'Quinn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
Powerchip has a backup of my custom tune and can reflash my car in the event BMW flashes my car to stock after an update.

I'd search the forum for more details before banking on Dinan's warranty....

Everyone in the Houston Powerchip Group Buy paid for the tune. I wish there was a freebie!
      11-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #41
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I understand that some guys prefer to leave well enough alone, and there are often downsides to modifications. I also understand that there are a lot of bogus products out there backed by vendors making outrageous claims, and many of them are downright detrimental. The trick is to weed through the BS, take your time and do your research. My car is far from stock now, but my mods have been conservative and, with one exception, I've only purchased proven products from trusted vendors. And aside from that one exception, I've never been disappointed.

You seem focused on A/F ratios, but if you look at my chart, you'll see that my A/F ratios are more conservative than even the stock map. I'll be the first to admit that a tune can give you warranty issues because the dealer will always try to find something to blame a problem on, but this tune itself is not going to be the cause of a malfunction. I'm all about open discussions of mods, but let's keep it factual. Instead of vaguely referencing "some stories" about some unspecified tunes, post some concrete information.

I seriously considered the Dinan tune since I already have the Dinan exhaust and because it would have been much more convenient (like others have said, I wouldn't count on Dinan's warranty). However, after driving an M3 with the Dinan tune (before I ever considered the Powerchip tune), I decided I wouldn't waste my money on it. It felt no different than stock, so there was really no point in getting it. The difference between Dinan and Powerchip is very, very noticeable.

Also, maybe you didn't mean to direct this to me personally, but I take offense to your comment that "there are some guy's that get freebee's to talk good about a vendors product to sell it." Posting that kind of comment in my thread implies that I'm only hyping this product because I got it for free or a special deal. As this thread demonstrates, I'm all about full disclosure and open discussions and would have posted if I had gotten a different deal than anyone else in the Houston group buy. A number of people on this forum have met me and can vouch that that's not the kind of person I am. I'll admit that I was excited when I posted this thread, but I backed it up with hard evidence.

Ummm btw mvagusta these guys planned for the tune for months plus a 4 hr drive to the location for some. No freebies there buddy, did anyone mention freebie? Nice job tlud, can't wait to see your ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #42
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Ummm btw mvagusta these guys planned for the tune for months plus a 4 hr drive to the location for some. No freebies there buddy, did anyone mention freebie? Nice job tlud, can't wait to see your ride.
Looking forward to meeting up in Dallas next weekend. Hopefully, I can get my new bumper installed before then.
      11-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #43
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Working on a length reply, probably will come next week. I'm way behind schedule out here in LA from the Houston trip. Also need to get everyone their dynorun files and charts from the event.

I'm glad everyone is loving the tune! We're not responsible for any increases in tire wear.

Benvo

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #44
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post

Appreciate 0