BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #89
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Payoff your car !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #90
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Payoff your car !
I concur with this statement. Payoff your car, then supercharge it. You'll feel a lot better driving around in a supercharged car you actually own.
      05-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #91
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Hahahhaaaaa!!!!! VF Kit..... Hahahahaha!!!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #92
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek25ive View Post
You should buy my brand new VF 540 which will save some money. Put the rest on the car. At my price you can get into the highest VF kit under 13K.
Hahahhaaaaa!!!!! VF Kit..... Hahahahaha!!!
The thought crossed my mind to look at the less expensive VF kit...
But after looking, I got a funny feeling about how so many kits are in sell...like something is wrong with them or folks are not happy.
I really like the AA kits...I wish I could find a good deal on a brand new one like all these vf kits...
It's frustrating!

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #93
Dek25ive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Nothing is wrong with the VF kits. My personal VF for sale is because I dont want to void my warrenty. The trend of saling began because the market was flooded because a company purchased wholesale and beat the advertised VF price. Either way you go you need to find out the ins and outs of having a SC kit in the first place and your financial situation. I cant let 5 years of BMW warrenty go for 1 year coverage which is offered by all SC companies.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #94
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Payoff your car !
I concur with this statement. Payoff your car, then supercharge it. You'll feel a lot better driving around in a supercharged car you actually own.
I don't see the point of puting the supercharger when the car will be high mileage and soon to be traded for a new one! I'm pretty sure he already owns the car since he's the one driving it every day!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #95
Dek25ive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Kit was never installed its still in the box and comes with the tune, software and cable for $5500. Yep your'e exactly right it was in impulse buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #96
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Think of it this way, if you losr your job tomorrow(knock in wood) would you still be able to live comfortably for a few months while looking for a job and still pay for your car+blower?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #97
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek25ive View Post
Kit was never installed its still in the box and comes with the tune, software and cable for $5500. Yep your'e exactly right it was in impulse buy.
Excellant price!
I dont want to start a SC war...but how does this VF system compare to the Active Autowerks system? Easy install? Better components? Easy to Upgrade? Power delivery?
These are the only 2 brands im interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Think of it this way, if you losr your job tomorrow(knock in wood) would you still be able to live comfortably for a few months while looking for a job and still pay for your car+blower?
Im active duty Air Force, been serving my country for the past 12+ yrs
and currently stationed in Italy.

I understand the importance of paying off the car before buying the SC.
But the reason why im pushing against that is, i have about 2 summers left here in Italy (Europe) until i return to the states.

this is important because HERE, i can actually use the speed and power on these roads...the law allows it here in Europe.
in the states, not so much

I would like to get the SC soon, so i can truly enjoy it while i have the privilege to use it.

its sort of a "time crunch" in a way

BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER

Last edited by aka_phox; 05-11-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #98
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

What i really would like is if Active Autowerk could sponsor me kit.
Not sure what I could do in return? display logos...help praise there product around Europe (Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Germany)...post my car on forums...

Its weird because, Vossen contacted me to find someone to do a photoshoot of my car for them...i assume so they could use to sell their product.
Not sure how it would have worked out...but i was never offered anything if i would have done so.
Maybe im wrong for thinking this way...?

my car...
Attached Images

///M-FLIGHT MEMBER

Last edited by aka_phox; 05-11-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #99
Dek25ive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Buy My Supercharger!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #100
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox
What i really would like is if Active Autowerk could sponsor me kit.
Not sure what I could do in return? display logos...help praise there product around Europe (Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Germany)...post my car on forums...

Its weird because, Vossen contacted me to find someone to do a photoshoot of my car for them...i assume so they could use to sell their product.
Not sure how it would have worked out...but i was never offered anything if i would have done so.
Maybe im wrong for thinking this way...?

my car...
Theres no free rides buddy, if you want a blower your gonna have to pay for it. A review on m3post and a logo that they cant even verify isnt worth 13k to them.
Be safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #101
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
He only owes 35K on a car worth 50k+ and you think hes in a bad debt position?
Yes? He owes $35k on a car, and is looking at dropping $13k on what is basically an automotive accessory? This is about as bad as it gets with regard to financial planning. Retirement? Rainy day fund? What happens if there are complications with the supercharger or something else goes wrong with the now out-of-warranty car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
there is ZERO wrong with taking out a loan at a low rate that allows you to be more flexible with the cash you have on hand. i could pay off my car, but have a 1.9% interest rate and have made much more with my investments over this time.
The thing is I don't think any more than 10% of the people who say this actually have the cash to cut a check for the car. Granted some do, but still, I think most don't. Also it's generally a bad idea for an amateur to try to hedge against the interest rate on a loan, especially when the loan is taken out to buy a +$50k car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #102
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

People like to impose their personal ethics and life choices on other people and then rationalize that by creating big broad straw men "I have a RIGHT to tell YOU what to do because YOUR way is ruining MY country!"

Always lots of chest thumping with this type of topic.

My feeling is if you hate debt and want to pay everything in cash, then good for you. You're in a minority though, sorry to tell you. Debt and leverage run the planet even though you don't like it and if no one was willing to take debt, TRUST me when I tell you that cars like the M3 wouldnt even exist.

IMO thats a psychological thing. I use debt selectively and with interest rates hovering between 0% and 2.5% for the past 6 years or so, the opportunity cost of *wasting time on the argument* is ridiculous.

For me, I'm better when money is allocated towards payments. Houses, cars, 401k, bills, etc. If cash sits around we spend it too quickly on bull s h i t like eating and running around. Over the years we've paid off and sold a ton of objects that, IMO, we'd have never been able to save the cash for simply because we would have burned it.

We are not "good savers". Some people are GREAT savers. For them it is easy to just wait 5 years while saving, then take a big old block of cash, and then buy something. I assume they then sit on what they bought for 6 more years otherwise they are going to take a *catastrophic* depreciation hit. If you are a great saver, thats easy.

Since Im a horrible saver, I just buy used cars, using really low interest loans that anyone with excellent credit can get, and since I get incredibly bored very fast, I sell them within a couple of years. The microscopic amount of interest paid is part of the tax of using someone elses money to both build credit and flip cars that fast.

The supercharger is a similar question. Personally, I am "over" modding. I don't think the car like the M3 needs mods at all. But thats *me*. Everyone has their "well you MUST at least do THIS" list. So for some saying "dont supercharge it, it doesnt need it!" they'd prob say "just SLAM it and add tint and DONE!" Me? I don't think it needs *anything*, so I don't think the SC is a good idea. But thats *me*

For the OP, I'm not sure why you'd even ask something so personal on a forum just to hear wildly stated exaggerated opinions. Who cares if 99% of people pound the table and say "PAY OFF YOUR CAR YOU DEADBEAT!" or if 99% pound the table and say "M3 NEEDS A SUPERCHARGER JUST TO BE USEFUL!!!"

At your interest rate, at this stage of the loan, and talking about only $13k and not the FULL payoff, I think I'd just stay status quo. I don't think the SC is a good way to spend that kind of cash, but if YOU do, then you should.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #103
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Leverage and debt are fine in varying degrees and in some cases are a necessity. Nothing wrong with that. If OP didn't have a car and needs to get to work, etc. then taking on some debt is no big deal. However, ethics and personal life choices aside, leveraging oneself into a luxury sports car that costs about a years net salary and then wanting to buy $13k worth of parts for it while it's still not even paid for is pretty irrational if that $13k roughly amounts to your liquid net worth.

It's not so much about saving and then buying to avoid the interest costs, which is smart, but avoiding a lifestyle that can't be sustained.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #104
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
It's not so much about saving and then buying to avoid the interest costs, which is smart, but avoiding a lifestyle that can't be sustained.

Saving money can be "learned".
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0