BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Cleaning StopTech brake calipers

I need to remove my wheels to install new brake pads this weekend. I have the StopTech ST40 caliper in gloss black. Should I just spray wheel cleaner and scrub it as I normally would? I typically use Sonax.

The calipers are definitely dirty from normal use but I suspect a lot of the brake dust has really been baked on there from the heat of track days.
      06-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Idk if I'm correct in doing this but I spray with WD40, let set for a min, then wipe and hose it off. no need to scrub Works great and my Stoptechs are custom color
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Sonax is a great product and you should have no problems using it to clean your calipers, a little agitation with a wheel detail brush should help you to get into the nooks and crannies. If you are removing your wheels, you should consider coating the calipers with OptiCoat, CQuartz or Modesta. Unfortunately, you can't purchase CQuartz or Modesta directly, only a licensed detailer is able to purchase these products, however, if you want to DIY, the newer OptiCoat products are excellent. I've attached links to these products being applied in a professional detail setting, and an image of my caliper after Modesta application. If your wheels are off, it's a good opportunity to clean using Sonax Full Effect, especially on the inner barrels, you may need two passes and serious agitation to clean them as noted in the link, however, they do need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to coating.

PS: You might notice just how clean the wheel well is on the link below, the detailer in question uses a steamer initially to remove all of the crud from the area in question, however, if you do not own a steam cleaner, all it requires is more elbow grease!

http://teamspeed.com/forums/detailin...at-detail.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I need to remove my wheels to install new brake pads this weekend. I have the StopTech ST40 caliper in gloss black. Should I just spray wheel cleaner and scrub it as I normally would? I typically use Sonax.

The calipers are definitely dirty from normal use but I suspect a lot of the brake dust has really been baked on there from the heat of track days.
you're on the money. sonax and a mother's wheel brush. should be good as new.