BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

What line of car care products do use or recommend?

Over the years I have collected a lot of random brands of car care products. When you are looking for a wax or detail spray ect. there are so many choices out there. Recently I moved over seas and wasn't able to talk any of my car stuff with me (because of customs and yes a was extremely upset) and now I have to "re-buy" all the stuff I used to have. Instead of going to down the same rout as before, I want to limit my collection to 2-3 brands if possible or atlas the majority the same line of products. So what line do you recommend that is decently priced?
Before I had recently started purchasing a lot of chemical guys stuff and I was alright with there prices but always felt like they buy it and put there sticker on it and then jack up the price.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post
Over the years I have collected a lot of random brands of car care products. When you are looking for a wax or detail spray ect. there are so many choices out there. Recently I moved over seas and wasn't able to talk any of my car stuff with me (because of customs and yes a was extremely upset) and now I have to "re-buy" all the stuff I used to have. Instead of going to down the same rout as before, I want to limit my collection to 2-3 brands if possible or atlas the majority the same line of products. So what line do you recommend that is decently priced?
Before I had recently started purchasing a lot of chemical guys stuff and I was alright with there prices but always felt like they buy it and put there sticker on it and then jack up the price.

Thanks in advance
i'll break down my suggestions into two categories. one being where money is no object and one where you really wanna squeeze it for every penny. the "expensive" products are not actually expensive, but compared to the second category they will cost more. however they absolutely work and are considered the best by people in the industry and enthusiasts.

best of the best:
-sonax
-carpro
-optimum

on a budget:
-meguiars
-duragloss
-3d
-mothers
-griots

you will have to mix and match, but most of these companies offer a full range so hypothetically you could use only one brand if you wanted, but there are so many options that most people will have a little of everything in their cabinets. up to you to do the research and see which product does what exactly.

for the record chemical guys has some decent products for sure, but read up on them first if they are worth buying. based on what you need i could tell you what product to go with.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
i'll break down my suggestions into two categories. one being where money is no object and one where you really wanna squeeze it for every penny. the "expensive" products are not actually expensive, but compared to the second category they will cost more. however they absolutely work and are considered the best by people in the industry and enthusiasts.

best of the best:
-sonax
-carpro
-optimum

on a budget:
-meguiars
-duragloss
-3d
-mothers
-griots

you will have to mix and match, but most of these companies offer a full range so hypothetically you could use only one brand if you wanted, but there are so many options that most people will have a little of everything in their cabinets. up to you to do the research and see which product does what exactly.

for the record chemical guys has some decent products for sure, but read up on them first if they are worth buying. based on what you need i could tell you what product to go with.
thanks this what I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I love my Sonax 3/6 polish, interior cleaner, and their wheel cleaner is nice too (but $$). I've been using cQuartz for final on the M3, but will likely move to a regular sealant in the future as the cQuartz just isn't doing all the things I'd like it to do, and it's a bit of a pita to put on (for an untalented guy like myself, that is).

Besides, using a regular sealant gives me another excuse to use the Rupes 15!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

This is like asking what's the best oil!
Everyone has different preferences, but I highly recommend buying from Autogeek and waiting for one of their many many sales. If you don't want to wait, you can join the forum and they give you 15% off for a few days. Buy one of their big kits and see which one saves you the most amount of money. I never even knew about auto geek and I just kept buying off of amazon, which was definitely not the wise move in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
Everyone has different preferences, but I highly recommend buying from Autogeek and waiting for one of their many many sales. If you don't want to wait, you can join the forum and they give you 15% off for a few days. Buy one of their big kits and see which one saves you the most amount of money. I never even knew about auto geek and I just kept buying off of amazon, which was definitely not the wise move in the long run.
My only problem with autogeek is it feels like it takes forever for them to ship. :/ Amazon is ... so damn convenient where that's concerned
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
My only problem with autogeek is it feels like it takes forever for them to ship. :/ Amazon is ... so damn convenient where that's concerned
Yeah, Autogeek has nice stuff but shipping from the space coast to the west coast is a long haul. Planning, how does it work?

FWIW, I've had nothing but excellent service from Autogeek. One time an item was left out of an order and they shipped me a replacement at their expense no questions asked.

I just wish I'd have done one of their detailing boot camps when they were super affordable a couple of years ago. Now? $$$$

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post

Thanks in advance
I am going to tell you what I use, some are the best, some are just choices I like.

Microfiber towels?
The Rag Company: http://goo.gl/WLcym9

Wheel cleaner?
AMMO NYC Plum

Spray Wax?
AMMO NYC Spit

Car Wash?
Meguier's Car Wash
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I met Steve Doherty, the 2012 GT Academy winner and Nissan factory driver at a recent track day in Chuckwalla and he was telling me good things about the Molecule line of products. I went ahead and ordered some of it, since the cleaner spray pretty much instantly cleaned up some rubber tire streaks in my paint in a way that made my previous solution, Stoner Tarminator, look absolutely primitive.

Going to try out their race suit cleaner and helmet cleaner too. I pretty much ordered their entire Motorsport catalog.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
sale price gets balanced out with shipping. i'll just take a wild guess and say amazon will actually save you more money if the items you order can be gotten off prime.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Einszett makes great products too
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

You can always check out our product as well Detailaddict.com we have a full line of everything you need to get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #13
RAL9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Just used Sonax wash and rim cleaner for the first time-great results and that blood red color on the rims was an added bonus
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
asublime29
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Think its really knowing the stages of paint care first. You can apply the best product but if not done it the proper order, it is not doing what your paying for it to do... I agree sonax is nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #15
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post

best of the best:
-sonax
-carpro
-optimum

on a budget:
-meguiars
-duragloss
-3d
-mothers
-griots

This....also, products evolve over time - for instance using Menzerna Heavy Cut (I use the 400 with a Flex) takes me a quarter of the time to correct paint vs. products 5+ years ago. The random orbiters have also evolved, my Flex is quicker than my Porter Cable from 10+ years ago, additionally, pads have also improved greatly. My point being, what you purchase today might be great, but 2 or 3 years from now there will be improved products. I have a closet full of clay, but use the Nanoskin exclusively now, its just how it goes.

https://www.menzerna.com/products/po...hes/heavy-cut/

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/product_browse.html
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

anything from sonax is top notch. i buy from autogeek.net when they have their sales (sometimes 20% off and free shipping).