BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

05-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
fitzbane
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

First attempt at a detail

So this weekend I went and tried my first attempt at wash/clay/wax. It took me about 4 hours beginning to end, but I think it came out pretty good for a first go!

I'll have to do some research since this was a learning experience for me. My main problem was not knowing exactly how much wax to use? I finished thinking I didn't use enough. I also realized I didn't do an 'amazing' job on the wheels, but the oem 19s were pretty difficult to clean with the brush that I had.

Lastly..I want my bumpers painted now, you really get to notice all the rock chips once you get up close and personal for a few hours.

Here's a couple pictures..

View post on imgur.com

Next up...interior!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
mreed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 | 2020 X3M

Looks very clean. You might want to try out wheel woolies, they work like a charm on mine.

As for the wax, you generally want a light haze, then wipe off. A little bit can go a long way. If you didn't use enough, you can always apply again next wash.
      05-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Claybar leaves marring on your paint. depending on the wax, it might hide it, but you need to polish the paint with at least a finishing polish to get rid of the claybar marring.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzbane View Post
So this weekend I went and tried my first attempt at wash/clay/wax. It took me about 4 hours beginning to end, but I think it came out pretty good for a first go!

I'll have to do some research since this was a learning experience for me. My main problem was not knowing exactly how much wax to use? I finished thinking I didn't use enough. I also realized I didn't do an 'amazing' job on the wheels, but the oem 19s were pretty difficult to clean with the brush that I had.

Lastly..I want my bumpers painted now, you really get to notice all the rock chips once you get up close and personal for a few hours.

View post on imgur.com

Next up...interior!
I've found Sonax Wheel Cleaner is a hassle free way to clean the wheels. Spray on, leave for a few minutes, spray off.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
fitzbane
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Claybar leaves marring on your paint. depending on the wax, it might hide it, but you need to polish the paint with at least a finishing polish to get rid of the claybar marring.
I didn't know this was required and I didn't notice any marring, so maybe my wax is hiding it okay. I did feel like I was using an almost excessive amount of detailer to lubricate the clay. I'll definitely polish next time, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Quote:
I didn't know this was required and I didn't notice any marring, so maybe my wax is hiding it okay. I did feel like I was using an almost excessive amount of detailer to lubricate the clay. I'll definitely polish next time, thanks for the info.
If you use a polish with a light abrasive in it you will definitely diminish the looks of swirls, clay marring, etc. Black is a full time job, but once it's done right, nothing looks better. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

Next up...interior!

Depending on how you waxed your car ie if you used some elbow grease or a machine to do the work ... we at detail addict use a machine to be exact
http://detailaddict.com/shop/index.p...product_id=104

first we prime the pad by adding the product onto the pad then massaging it into the pad (you only do this once on initial use) after that we only and a thin line in an X onto the pad... that is more then enough for every panel. Also like most said after a good clay you should look into polishing your car to remove some of the haze created by the clay... we usually do a two step polish then wax after a nice clay.

as for the wheels what we use is our engine/wheel cleaner http://detailaddict.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=65 .... spray it on let it sit and pressure wash it right off or you can spray it on a microfiber towel and rub off with your hands.

if you have any questions or need help with anything you can always email me at sales@detailaddict.com we are always willing to help out!
Appreciate 0