BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #67
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Pretty sure the Dinan stroker is a POS compared to better builders from all of the threads on here...
You can count the Dinan strokers that still run on one hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #68
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure the Dinan stroker is a POS compared to better builders from all of the threads on here...
Do you mean the old Dinan or the CARBAHN?

Can you elaborate further?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #69
RD1M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JZB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
Anyone from the first batch that went out in July have any feedback yet (besides Matt @ OG)? Hopefully getting mine in a week or two and can't wait.
I've had mine on for about 2 weeks or so. I have the full Eventuri setup, along with the stock x pipe and MPE. Definitely a noticeably louder, more visceral intake sound under load and at higher RPMs. I'm loving it! Sorry, no sound clips from me.
The MPE is fairly feint so it makes sense to ask if you can still hear the MPE?
Yeah, you can still hear the MPE. The plenum increased the induction noise to match the exhaust. They compliment each other well.
      09-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #70
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the detailed analysis, reviews and dynos of the Dinan strokers (and carbahn) that are covered in several threads on here are unimpressive to say the least. Other strokers have achieved far better performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #71
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the detailed analysis, reviews and dynos of the Dinan strokers (and carbahn) that are covered in several threads on here are unimpressive to say the least. Other strokers have achieved far better performance.
It's been a long time since I've read through those threads. It seemed like there mentions of outfits that built 1 or 2 strokers and that's it. All I recall are names like Dinan and RD Sport and then others that say they can build one for yah.

And of course there are companies offering pieces of the pie to build one, like VAC.

I wonder who and what the current offerings are besides CARBAHN.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #72
Davesg
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92, mk 5 GTI

Stock airbox, intake filter. MPE and eventuri plenum. It growls louder, deeper, mainly starting at heavy throttle above 3000 RPM when you hear the valves open and the roar begin. It痴 daily drive acceptable for sure as i can still kinda hear my passengers giggle over the plenum when it kicks in.

Have a feeling a bigger intake/ better filter would make sense if i壇 want more volume but i知 really happy with this classy CSL growl and volume now, especially since my right foot determines the volume.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #73
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
I just got mine installed.. I chose to keep my existing Dinan elbow + filter instead of the Eventuri intake. I also have an Ericsson/Amuse M480 exhaust.. Honestly, I don't really notice much of a difference in sound. I think I was expecting a night and day difference in induction noise from all the hype but it's not a huge difference at all. The plenum looks cool though..and maybe it's a placebo effect but the car seems a tiny bit more responsive.

EDIT: Do I need to get the cf lid too in order to get the sound everyone is hyping up?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #74
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
I just got mine installed.. I chose to keep my existing Dinan elbow + filter instead of the Eventuri intake. I also have an Ericsson/Amuse M480 exhaust.. Honestly, I don't really notice much of a difference in sound. I think I was expecting a night and day difference in induction noise from all the hype but it's not a huge difference at all. The plenum looks cool though..and maybe it's a placebo effect but the car seems a tiny bit more responsive.

EDIT: Do I need to get the cf lid too in order to get the sound everyone is hyping up?
I don't have this intake but it seems more than a few owners are commenting on the lower than expected sound difference from stock. Sadly that is the only point of this intake other than bling.

I doubt the CF lid will make anymore difference. If you're still using the stock air filter/elbow changing that will give you a noticeable difference in sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #75
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Just had the plenum and airbox cover installed at EAS this week.

My setup is MPE v2, MS test pipes, and Dinan intake. The fitment is great and the CF weave of the Dinan intake match nicely with the Eventuri airbox cover.

I'd say there's a 10% increase in noise above 3,500rpm and 50%+ throttle. There's an even greater noise above 5,500 rpm and WOT, which matches the exhaust note of no primary cat setup. Very pleased with this mod.

Photos are on EAS' Instagram.
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #76
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post
I'd say there's a 10% increase in noise above 3,500rpm and 50%+ throttle. There's an even greater noise above 5,500 rpm and WOT, which matches the exhaust note of no primary cat setup. Very pleased with this mod.
Sounds about the same as my CarboProject CF intake plenum where only the top plastic plenum cover was replaced with CF and the bottom half is still stock plastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #77
NeoGeo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Sounds about the same as my CarboProject CF intake plenum where only the top plastic plenum cover was replaced with CF and the bottom half is still stock plastic.
Mine is also finally installed. I can notice a substantial increase above 3500rpm. Definitely worth it. The look in the engine bay alone is worth it ...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #78
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
It's been a long time since I've read through those threads. It seemed like there mentions of outfits that built 1 or 2 strokers and that's it. All I recall are names like Dinan and RD Sport and then others that say they can build one for yah.

And of course there are companies offering pieces of the pie to build one, like VAC.

Contact Chris or Erin at Carbahn to get setup proper. Steve still answers the phone and helped me spec cams for my DINAN 4.6L stroker. If you池e in Miami I値l gladly take you for a spin. Surprising how many haters are out there for something they致e never experienced firsthand.

BTW- they can still source stroker for S85, something that might be next at bat in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #79
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
I want to revise my original comment on the sound...

Please forgive me for I've only driven it a couple of days and previously stated that I have experienced very little sound increase. I was doing it all wrong. At WOT and 3500+RPM there is a significant sound increase.. starting at around 5000RPM the intake burble and sucking sound starts to drown out my exhaust!

If you are not at WOT, there is not much difference in sound than stock no matter what RPM you are at.
Appreciate 2
Bemo1120.50
      09-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #80
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte869h View Post
Quote:

Contact Chris or Erin at Carbahn to get setup proper. Steve still answers the phone and helped me spec cams for my DINAN 4.6L stroker. If you're in Miami I'll gladly take you for a spin. Surprising how many haters are out there for something they've never experienced firsthand.

BTW- they can still source stroker for S85, something that might be next at bat in the garage.
Good to know. There are some good builders in the Maine and Connecticut areas. When I am financially able to rebuild my engine , ( 196K and climbing) engine, I'll likely go one of those routes because they are local. Prolly not a striker due to cost.

They work with CARBAHN when needed so that gives me a sense they are objective builders.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #81
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:

Please forgive me for I've only driven it a couple of days and previously stated that I have experienced very little sound increase. I was doing it all wrong. At WOT and 3500+RPM there is a significant sound increase.. starting at around 5000RPM the intake burble and sucking sound starts to drown out my exhaust!

If you are not at WOT, there is not much difference in sound than stock no matter what RPM you are at.
Absolutely! At WOT, it's like a race car!
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #82
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:

Ohh I want to hear. Can you post a video, or at least comment on whether the Obsessed Garage one in this thread provides an accurate representation?

- your LRP brother
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #83
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Received the intake yesterday and after about 3 hours of unwrapping the thing (IND has serious ocd about packaging- I love it) I got it installed and went for a brief drive. Firstly, the quality is fantastic. The weave of the carbon, the fittings, the fitment, all brilliant. The engine bay looks amazing now.

Driving impressions... the increase in induction noise is noticeable. I was hoping for more but I also think that my expectations were unrealistic. The noise sounds a bit deeper and rougher than the videos suggested, less of a sharp, piercing induction noise and more of a grumbly noise if that makes sense. As someone pointed out above, it does sound more pronounced with the windows closed vs open. All in all I am pretty pleased with the purchase and I知 looking forward to putting more miles on it.

For reference I have a Borla catback and gutted secondaries on the stock x-pipe so I have some exhaust noise also competing for sound bandwidth.
Just wanted to follow up/add some more color to my initial reaction now that I have had the plenum on for a little bit. Having put a few hundred miles on it, I have learned how to best modulate the throttle to get the most sound out of it. My ears can now better differentiate the subtle and not so subtle induction noise from my exhaust noise.

Besides WOT, even short jabs at the throttle in the right gear (I知 6MT) produces the amazing sound resonance. Holding the revs around 3 or 4K in 3rd and then quickly prodding the pedal up to 5 or 6k produces a glorious noise. Rev matched downshifts are pure bliss and combined with my slightly aggressive catback the car sounds amazing now.

If I still had my resonator and secondary cat delete or a fully catless exhaust I知 not sure the plenum would be worth it as the noise coming from the rear of the car would overpower the intake everywhere besides WOT. I actually think the intake may be best enjoyed with a stock exhaust.

All in all I am in love with car now more than ever thanks to the plenum.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #84
Paul@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Just wanted to follow up/add some more color to my initial reaction now that I have had the plenum on for a little bit. Having put a few hundred miles on it, I have learned how to best modulate the throttle to get the most sound out of it. My ears can now better differentiate the subtle and not so subtle induction noise from my exhaust noise.

Besides WOT, even short jabs at the throttle in the right gear (I知 6MT) produces the amazing sound resonance. Holding the revs around 3 or 4K in 3rd and then quickly prodding the pedal up to 5 or 6k produces a glorious noise. Rev matched downshifts are pure bliss and combined with my slightly aggressive catback the car sounds amazing now.

If I still had my resonator and secondary cat delete or a fully catless exhaust I知 not sure the plenum would be worth it as the noise coming from the rear of the car would overpower the intake everywhere besides WOT. I actually think the intake may be best enjoyed with a stock exhaust.

All in all I am in love with car now more than ever thanks to the plenum.
Thanks for the update. Intakes do not generally generate sound on light loads. The E46 M3 CSL airboxes behave in the same way.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #85
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep

Inquiring minds would like to know if there are Black Friday specials coming up?
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #86
Paul@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Inquiring minds would like to know if there are Black Friday specials coming up?
Check the vendor section. There are some Black Friday specials.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #87
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Check the vendor section. There are some Black Friday specials.
Couldn't find any on the plenum, checked vividracing, ********** and IND. I guess I'll wait until Friday, credit card in hand.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #88
E92M3GT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

I am happy with sound change of my Arma intake

Appreciate 0