home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Opinion please on a few M3's I am considering

Hello, I have a list below of a few M3's I am considering, I'm in NY. Transmission is of no concern to me. I do however prefer the comp package and IB. Only one M3 comes with a warranty and ironically it's the closest to me. All have a clean autocheck and carfax. I will do a PPI on the car before I buy it. I'm a nitpicker(personally and by occupation!) but I wont nitpick as much if the price is right.

-$23k, 06 Imola on black, SMG, PDC, heated seats, premium package. 70k pretty extensive maintenance history, 2 owners. Dealership will provide 30 day limited warranty, northern car(LI and NJ), drove this one and drove pretty well. 2 things I didn't like, dynamat in the trunk, tires match only in pairs, paintwork pass fender and door, but looks like the parts were not removed(maybe a light dent or scratch). No subframe recall or vanos work completed. Inspection 2 in '09, has a recall for programming. Car's been for sale for a longgggg time over 14 months at least, multiple price drops. I'm not sure why it's still there, they do sell exotics.

-$26k, 06 Imola on Imola 58k, manual, was cpo til 2012. Premium, heated seats, no maintenance or service records on carfax or at BMW after 09, owner states he's a mechanic. Have to drive to VA to check this one out. No warranty. no subframe work or vanos work completed. No records of inspection 2, has a recall for programming.

-$26k, 06 ib/dove, 72k looks to be a stripper model with smg, navi, ZCP, PDC(which I read is standard on SMG's?). No power seats or memory, pretty sure it doesn't have a premium package, no xenon(sucks), normal maintenance per BMW and carfax. Owner says he did a ton of maintenance and used to work for BMW for 16 years. Blank info on autocheck and carfax from 06-09. BTW, it's amazing how dependent I am on Carfax and Autocheck, such a shame. No warranty either and is in VA. no subframe work or vanos work completed.

-$30K, 06, ib/black, 66k, SMG, ZCP, PDC, navi, lumbar, premium, except cold weather, rear sunshade, headlight washers(none of the cars I listed have this). Normal maintenance. No warranty, not even a state mandated one. This is only 100 miles from me in PA. no subframe work or vanos work completed and owner states subframe is fine.

-$34k, 06, Ib/dove, 50k from Hawaii off a military guy. Zcp, premium, except cold weather, rear sunshade, headlight washers(none of the cars I listed have this). I test drove this, and it drove real nice. Price is up there though, highly doubt he is negotiable that much.

I can't even read the M3 market now, it's really all over the place. If you can let me know which has the best value that would really help me as I really can't figure out the proper pricing especially on the comp package ones. Any HELPUL insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

As far as resale value goes. Anything with smg and/or dove grey leather will be hard to sell. Low miles and manual gearbox will always carry a premium.

Imola on imola has all the right stuff. Rare color combo, manual, low miles and it was a former cpo car. Get a quality mechanic to look over the car. This car will holds its value the best out of the list.

I would avoid smg. SMG hydraulic pump are notorious for going bad. It is a heavy price tag to fix as well, seen people pay up to $4,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I have been emailing the consignment dealership for days on the service records after 09. If he had them done then great, as long as I see them on paper. It doesn't have to be on car fax. It kind of worries me that the car's maintainance and service went blank after 09.

The IB SMG stripper had the smg pump replaced. Honestly I would put some cash to the side, and if it does blow i'll swap in a 6 speed.

So far it's down to the 2 imolas and the IB stripper.
Appreciate 0