BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Stoptech Street Performance Pad vs Ferrodo DS2500

I've been reading a lot lately on the subject of a great hybrid (street/track) brake pad for use with OEM rotors/calipers and pretty much zoomed in on two: Stoptech Street Performance and Ferodo DS2500. I saw a lot of members leaving positive feedback about both, but I am interested if anyone had a chance to compare the two on the track? I will be pulling the trigger on one of these soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not sure about the specific application with OEM rotors and calipers, but I've used the StopTech Street Performance pads with my StopTech BBK front and rear and have been happy with them. They are the stock pad that ships with the BBK. They're relatively quiet, and have held up fairly well on the track (maybe 5 track days per set).
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Not sure about the specific application with OEM rotors and calipers, but I've used the StopTech Street Performance pads with my StopTech BBK front and rear and have been happy with them. They are the stock pad that ships with the BBK. They're relatively quiet, and have held up fairly well on the track (maybe 5 track days per set).
OK, thanks. I hope my experience with stock brakes, these pads, Stoptech SS lines and Motul/Castrol fluid will be somewhat similar. One vote for ST. Anybody else?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

I also use StopTech Street Performance pads with my StopTech BBK. They work great for street + track use. Almost no squealing on the street, good cold bite. On they track they hold up really well also. I don't experience any noticeable fade.
      11-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

A great street pad & light duty track pad.I found that if you are agressive with them on track they will start to fade after a few laps.But if you are on a high speed track like Mosport that requires hard braking only a couple of times a lap they are quite fine.I do not think that there is a true dual purpose pad for cars of this weight & power.Even with a BBK like I have.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
roy@acuteperformance
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 6MT

From what I've gathered both pads are very similar. IMO I would just go with the cheapest one - Stoptech Street Performance Pads.

I'm actually running the Ferrodo DS2500 right now but I'm getting the Stoptech next because they're way cheaper and pretty much the same pad.

Let me know when you're ready as we carry the Stoptechs
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
A great street pad & light duty track pad.I found that if you are agressive with them on track they will start to fade after a few laps.But if you are on a high speed track like Mosport that requires hard braking only a couple of times a lap they are quite fine.I do not think that there is a true dual purpose pad for cars of this weight & power.Even with a BBK like I have.
Oh, I agree, dual purpose is always a compromise, but I am just getting into it, so I'll start slow. I live about 20 minutes from buttonwillow race track, it does look to me as fast, but I've never driven on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Oh, I agree, dual purpose is always a compromise, but I am just getting into it, so I'll start slow. I live about 20 minutes from buttonwillow race track, it does look to me as fast, but I've never driven on it.
On my other E92 M I ran Pagid Rs19's dual purpose and if you could live with some low speed grabiness & moderate squeel then they are not a bad choice.With my BBK this year I ran both a RS29 all the way round and a RS14/29 combo with good results both on track and liveable on the street.These newer Track pads are a lot different than the track pads that I have run in the past with very low disc wear and good stopping power when cold.I ran most of the track season with my track pads in but the noise does not bother me for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

My Brembo BBK's came with the DS2500's and they worked great for both street and track use. I was amazed that I got about 10000 KM's of street use and a good 8 or 9 days of track use.

I recently replaced my pads and stuck with the DS2500's in the rear and out DS3000's out front. WOW what a difference in stopping power and the squealing for street use is not that bad. When it was warmer they weren't squealing on street use but now with colder weather they are but it's livable and my M3 is in storage as of today.

I highly recommend the Ferodos and I suggest you shop around online. I Was quoted a good $200 more by some suppliers. I ended up paying about $225 for my front DS3000's an was quoted as high as $450 by some suppliers.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
On my other E92 M I ran Pagid Rs19's dual purpose and if you could live with some low speed grabiness & moderate squeel then they are not a bad choice.With my BBK this year I ran both a RS29 all the way round and a RS14/29 combo with good results both on track and liveable on the street.These newer Track pads are a lot different than the track pads that I have run in the past with very low disc wear and good stopping power when cold.I ran most of the track season with my track pads in but the noise does not bother me for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
My Brembo BBK's came with the DS2500's and they worked great for both street and track use. I was amazed that I got about 10000 KM's of street use and a good 8 or 9 days of track use...
Thank you for all the advice! I went with Stoptech and installed them yesterday. Now I need to bed them in and my first track day is hopefully on December 17th!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Thank you for all the advice! I went with Stoptech and installed them yesterday. Now I need to bed them in and my first track day is hopefully on December 17th!
I have the Ferrodos on my car right now. They are great for a combination but really don't perform that well on the track at high speeds. Braking from 140+ is kind of sketch. I had to go off the track on turn one at Willow Springs cause they didn't bite as much as I predicted.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0