BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

09-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #67
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Seriously though keep the M car as a change up on days when u miss the sounds of an air and gas fed engine and exhaust.
OR
If the sound and feel of that magical NA V8 doesn't truly pull at your heart and soul then go ahead sell the M3 now.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #68
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
It all comes down to opportunity cost. And as such, there are a few aspects.

If driving the M3 still holds thrill and excitement, there's your opportunity. The cost is the proceeds you could invest and gain yearly returns. Keeping it purely for monetary purpose is simply not a good idea. But if the vehicle evokes emotion, that's a very powerful thing that perhaps can not be matched by numbers in a bank account.

Keep in mind, buying a car is a lot like dating. At first you go through the "honeymoon stage" where everything is just perfect. You fall in love. Once in love, things may progress and become stagnant, where things just feel normal. Right now you are in the "honeymoon phase" with your Tesla.

When you first bought your M3 I bet you felt like it was the most incredible machine, every drive put a smile on your face. After some time, it becomes normal. The same thing will happen with the Tesla. As this new technology progresses -- faster, better looking, and more advanced electric cars will enter the market and you will soon get bored of the Tesla. At that point, will you miss the M3?

Just some food for thought. Whatever you may choose, you can't really go wrong. Congrats on the Tesla!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #69
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

My wife has been driving a Model S for the last few years, and while it is a great daily, it is sooooo boring to drive compared to my e92. Keep both.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #70
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

If I had to sell my M3 for a Tesla it would have to be a 100D.
The Model 3 sucks, the interior is like an entry-level Korean car.
Sure it feels great to drive, the torque is instantaneous but the car is just damn ugly.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #71
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Keep the e93. It's your summer convertible.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #72
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Sell the ugly, lame Tesla and drive the M3. Also feel good knowing you aren't contributing the the future problem of battery disposal.
      10-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #73
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Derp

- you have the same volume of oil disposal (recycling really, see below) to deal with on an M3, plus low value lead acid batteries that are not particularly attractive to recycle because lead is cheap, as is sulfuric acid;

- gasoline vapor (look up what causes smog - nox plus stray (mostly from vehicle refueling and incomplete combustion and imperfect HC catalysis) hydrocarbons

- exporting emissions to power stations far away from population is a good thing for human health even if you’re using coal, and in CA, you’re mostly not;

- lifepo battery recycling is economically viable and happening now; and,

- Tesla batteries already reach 200,000 miles in fleet use, and that's the old design

Last edited by Richbot; 10-09-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #74
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.

I found this thread because I am also thinking of moving on from my M3. The reasoning for me is more about my lifestyle, and almost always staying within 5 miles of my house for my transportation needs and thus an EV makes a ton of sense.

At the end of the day it boils down to a Tesla being an immensely better daily driver compared to an M3 but an M3 being more fun, and alive.

I am really on the fence because I always really been very meh on EV's, but they are the future and its becoming really obvious faster than I thought.

From a pure a--->b transportation EV's are a complete homerun for so many reasons I can't begin to list, and its this honest realization of my logical self thatis eating at me. I know the induction motor is superior to ICE, and its (way) more economical, reliable, responsive, durable, efficient, more tractable (torque all the time), etc etc etc.... I have a house with a garage so charging is a slam dunk, no emissions, no $60 fill ups, no or very little maintenance, way more tech.

I may be parting from ICE sooner than later but no rush, I want to see how resale and servicing is on these EV's first before I make the move.

Last edited by neilum; 02-09-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
SAMM3Y3085.00
oolas3388.00
      02-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #75
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmmac View Post
I wouldn't sell it but then again I never would have bought an electric car. Call me old school but they have no character and to be honest are simply downright ugly. The lack of exhaust sound would drive me crazy.
Looks better than BMWs latest designs for g series and the new m235 GC.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #76
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Curious if any opinions on this topic have changed as sentiment and momentum of EV's has changed quite a bit since the summer of 18.

I found this thread because I am also thinking of moving on from my M3. The reasoning for me is more about my lifestyle, and almost always staying within 5 miles of my house for my transportation needs and thus an EV makes a ton of sense.

At the end of the day it boils down to a Tesla being an immensely better daily driver compared to an M3 but an M3 being more fun, and alive.

I am really on the fence because I always really been very meh on EV's, but they are the future and its becoming really obvious faster than I thought.

From a pure a--->b transportation EV's are a complete homerun for so many reasons I can't begin to list, and its this honest realization of my logical self thatis eating at me. I know the induction motor is superior to ICE, and its (way) more economical, reliable, responsive, durable, efficient, more tractable (torque all the time), etc etc etc.... I have a house with a garage so charging is a slam dunk, no emissions, no $60 fill ups, no or very little maintenance, way more tech.

I may be parting from ICE sooner than later but no rush, I want to see how resale and servicing is on these EV's first before I make the move.
You may want to lease an electric vehicle because the technology is moving so fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #77
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
My opinion on EVs is that they're strictly local, A-B cars. Other than MAYBE the Taycan, they really aren't designed for a compelling driving experience. I don't feel that the overall EV infrastructure is great either. So, with that, I'd be happy to get into a small AWD EV SUV with ~200 miles of range to drive around town. I wouldn't pay more than $30k for one however---and that's before any rebates. I keep reading from various auto execs that batteries are getting cheaper. Maybe. But the EVs themselves are still too expensive for what I'm looking for. So I don't hate or dislike EVs, but if I was to buy one now, they would have a very narrow use for me. I would not spend the money on a Tesla at this point in time.

In my theoretical garage, I'd have an EV for strictly local driving, a gas sports car for performance driving and vehicular engagement, and some type of gas or hybrid for regular driving outside of the just local errand running. So yeah, I do see a place in my life for EVs, but right now, it's pretty limited.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #78
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Thinking of a Model 3 as a DD in the next few years.

I'd sell the E93. I think it will continue to depreciate irrespective of the trajectory of the car market. Very few, low mileage E9x cars will appreciate. I don't think yours will because it's a convertible, so why lose money on something that is not as fun to drive as what you're driving now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #79
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Thinking of a Model 3 as a DD in the next few years.

I'd sell the E93. I think it will continue to depreciate irrespective of the trajectory of the car market. Very few, low mileage E9x cars will appreciate. I don't think yours will because it's a convertible, so why lose money on something that is not as fun to drive as what you're driving now.
Why even sell it? E93s are not worth much, enjoy it as a summer car and buy another car to replace its daily duties.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
chocstraw495.50
      02-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #80
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i wouldn't put much weight on what other people think about this. having an electric vehicle is very much a personal decision.
for example, i drive an electric smart car. there is NO tech. i make it to work and back with 5-15% charge left (it has about a 60 mile range, but i'm almost all highway which significantly reduces range). most people can't fit this car into their routine- too long of a drive and too long to charge, it only seats two, very little cargo area, etc. it would not be a good primary car for most people. i wouldn't be able to have it as my only car, it just so happens to fit into my routine perfectly and i can daily drive it and have my other vehicles as backup. i spend less on everything. the money i save on fuel, maintenance, and tires pays for this car from a balance sheet perspective. its literally free transportation.

most people will come up with lots of reasons why an electric car (or my car) won't work for them. most of the reasons are irrational, misguided thought process, or simply based on myths. you need to drive one and figure out if it works for you. having an electric car paired with a sports car is the perfect combo.
      02-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #81
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i wouldn't put much weight on what other people think about this. having an electric vehicle is very much a personal decision.
for example, i drive an electric smart car. there is NO tech. i make it to work and back with 5-15% charge left (it has about a 60 mile range, but i'm almost all highway which significantly reduces range). most people can't fit this car into their routine- too long of a drive and too long to charge, it only seats two, very little cargo area, etc. it would not be a good primary car for most people. i wouldn't be able to have it as my only car, it just so happens to fit into my routine perfectly and i can daily drive it and have my other vehicles as backup. i spend less on everything. the money i save on fuel, maintenance, and tires pays for this car from a balance sheet perspective. its literally free transportation.

most people will come up with lots of reasons why an electric car (or my car) won't work for them. most of the reasons are irrational, misguided thought process, or simply based on myths. you need to drive one and figure out if it works for you. having an electric car paired with a sports car is the perfect combo.
Oh, I'm buying an EV probably a Y soon but I was curious to hear other people's plans or thoughts are on the subject as we all in this forum drive a truly special, rare car but one that is living in the past with a better way of getting around staring us all right in the face.

I plan on keeping the M for now but one day my practical logical side will win this internal debate as its very clear to me EV's are the future.

The general public will come around slowly but it will happen once more people really get behind the wheel and try it. The arguments I hear are typically revolving around an inconvenient situation that would occur about 1% of the time as their rational not to buy a an EV.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #82
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Wish they would let you reserve a 7-seat Model Y. I'd have one reserved right now. It's everything I want from the W211 AMG wagon I've been hunting, without the downsides
      03-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #83
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I own both and love my M3P. It’s not as pure a sports car as the M3 is, but it has its own joys. The pull and way you come out of a corner is just insane. The instant torque gets addictive and you’ll be a hero in passing maneuvers and off the line. And for daily driving around town it’s much better and easier to live with. No warm up, more compliant ride, modern tech, bigger back seat, never stop for gas, etc. Lastly, I wouldn’t worry what e93 owners think...I personally don’t even consider them M3s.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #84
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
I own both and love my M3P. It’s not as pure a sports car as the M3 is, but it has its own joys. The pull and way you come out of a corner is just insane. The instant torque gets addictive and you’ll be a hero in passing maneuvers and off the line. And for daily driving around town it’s much better and easier to live with. No warm up, more compliant ride, modern tech, bigger back seat, never stop for gas, etc. Lastly, I wouldn’t worry what e93 owners think...I personally don’t even consider them M3s.
Telsa fans calling them M3's make that community look really dumb, and I am a fan of EV's. Lets just pretend the best sports sedan ever made since the 1980's just never existed and just steal the name.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #85
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Telsa fans calling them M3's make that community look really dumb, and I am a fan of EV's. Lets just pretend the best sports sedan ever made since the 1980's just never existed and just steal the name.
I’ve never heard a Tesla fan verbally call it a M3 but if that gets you butt hurt I would take it up with them on that forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #86
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
I’ve never heard a Tesla fan verbally call it a M3 but if that gets you butt hurt I would take it up with them on that forum.

I guess I struck a nerve? It's ok we all mistakes.

Seriously though tsla fans mention them as M3's all the time and it's a dumb thing to do

Btw butthurt is one word.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #87
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Verdict?

OK OP, what's the verdict?

I only ask because I have a choice to make in a while. I ordered a Tesla Tri Truck. I have a 12k boat to pull. So, I'm thinking of either keeping my current 2001 F250 and M3 and doing nothing because both my truck and M3 kick ass, or selling M3 and going electric for the daily sometime in the future, or selling both and keeping order on the Tesla truck and just have one rig.

I actually hate having 2 cars (3 if you count my 1968 Impala convertible that I drive all the time) and wouldn't mind just having one truck that'll do double duty as a daily and pull boat/camper.
1968 Impala Convertible, original owners
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #88
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

The Model 3 looks like a clown car and if I ever owned a Tesla is would have to be the S. But like mentioned earlier, if you even have to ask yourself why an E9x M3 is worth it, you should sell it to someone who's appreciates what it's worth.
Appreciate 0