BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (e92)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Autopom Warranty Quote

Just picked up a 2008 e92 M3 with 50k miles on it and obviously have concerns about RBs and TAs.

Autopom quoted me 4 yr/48k mile Exclusionary coverage for $2900 (with payment plan over 24 months no interest). Does anyone have experience with them? From my research, this price seems like an excellent deal, especially considering Endurance told me they don't even offer coverage on M series BMW or AMG Benz. Just want to confirm the quality of the provider and get reassurance the price is as good as I expect it is.. if possible. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JayM View Post
Just picked up a 2008 e92 M3 with 50k miles on it and obviously have concerns about RBs and TAs.

Autopom quoted me 4 yr/48k mile Exclusionary coverage for $2900 (with payment plan over 24 months no interest). Does anyone have experience with them? From my research, this price seems like an excellent deal, especially considering Endurance told me they don't even offer coverage on M series BMW or AMG Benz. Just want to confirm the quality of the provider and get reassurance the price is as good as I expect it is.. if possible. Thanks in advance!
Just use the $2900 to get the RBs replaced and ancillary maintenance and then order a set of TAs when they eventually go.
M3JayM72.00
      11-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
What is typical ballpark cost of TA replacement? Another $2k including labor?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I would buy the TAs from any of the rebuilders featured on the forum that include lifetime replacement guarantees for (~$800). You could then supply those at an Indy for replacement and yes they might charge you for 3 hrs of labor.

But honestly, if you were patient you could spend the same 3 hrs following YouTube and swap them yourself and demystify an area of the engine that could enable you to save $$$ on labor for other parts in the area that inevitably need replacement (plugs, fuel breather, idle control).

The problem with these 3rd party warranties, if the bearings go you're looking at a replacement used engine to the tune of $10-$15k. Which then will require other maintenance work again and I promise they will do everything in their power to weasel out of paying. There are a couple that seems to be very reliable (carmax and Carvana) with major repairs. Who knows how long Carvana remains in business…

So much diy knowledge on this forum. I started with zero mechanical skills and have built a very capable track car all myself predominantly on jack stands in my garage. Just take your time and stop at the first sign of frustration to take a 30 mins breather. So you don't cross thread a bolt, drop or break something.
brettcp348.00
      11-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
I would buy the TAs from any of the rebuilders featured on the forum that include lifetime replacement guarantees for (~$800). You could then supply those at an Indy for replacement and yes they might charge you for 3 hrs of labor.

But honestly, if you were patient you could spend the same 3 hrs following YouTube and swap them yourself and demystify an area of the engine that could enable you to save $$$ on labor for other parts in the area that inevitably need replacement (plugs, fuel breather, idle control).

The problem with these 3rd party warranties, if the bearings go you're looking at a replacement used engine to the tune of $10-$15k. Which then will require other maintenance work again and I promise they will do everything in their power to weasel out of paying. There are a couple that seems to be very reliable (carmax and Carvana) with major repairs. Who knows how long Carvana remains in business…

So much diy knowledge on this forum. I started with zero mechanical skills and have built a very capable track car all myself predominantly on jack stands in my garage. Just take your time and stop at the first sign of frustration to take a 30 mins breather. So you don't cross thread a bolt, drop or break something.

Good point regarding the replacement engine.

I wouldn't mind learning how to work on the car myself, but I've never been very handy so I don't trust myself plus I live in a high rise so I don't have a garage or lifts or any friends locally that have that space and equipment available.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:

Good point regarding the replacement engine.

I wouldn't mind learning how to work on the car myself, but I've never been very handy so I don't trust myself plus I live in a high rise so I don't have a garage or lifts or any friends locally that have that space and equipment available.
Fair - Do research and read all the fine print of the insurance policy. Check BBB. Pull the trigger!

Note, all the work I mentioned can be done with a $350 investment in socket set, wrenches, torque wrench, and a powered ratchet / drill. Don't need lifts etc and can easily be completed in your spot in the garage.

Be prepared to spend $500 for someone else to do basic things like change spark plugs, $200+ oil changes, etc. The maintenance on these cars is a joke if you're paying someone else. Just food for thought

Good luck. Enjoy the car!
      12-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Thanks DR! I prepaid $500 for 3 oil changes and I think I was quoted like $250-300 for spark plugs, but plugs won't be due for another 15-20k miles.

I appreciate the advice to just get the RBs done preventatively with the money I would have spent on the extended warranty. I really don't ever want to get in a position where I am battling with them over a claim.

I just want peace of mind. I feel like the car was babied (very clean carfax, low miles) but my research tells me that the RBs can be an issue on any M3 regardless of how it was driven. Seems completely random.

This is my 2nd BMW (but my first M) so I'm somewhat used to the maintenance costs.
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

That's pretty solid, I paid $3700 for my 5 year/50k miles exclusionary warranty. Have had $6,500 worth of work done so far on it.
Appreciate 0