BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
papaya_dude
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Group buy gone wrong

Hey guys, looking for advice on what to do when a group buy goes bad. Seller (will remain nameless) does not come through with the product as promised.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

As someone who has organized multiple group buys in my decades as a car enthusiast (thankfully all successful), various things can go wrong during a GB. Most of the time the organizer is just that - an organizer - and also subject to the promises made by the actual product supplier. On a worse case scenario, the supplier - or even the organizer himself - can abscond with the funds.

Based on the little info you have provided just ask for a refund and be done with it. Or provide more details so others can advise the best course of action.
Appreciate 4
jd501371.00
kolosy1414.00
Davisca4552207.50
      12-05-2022, 06:05 AM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

if you describe what you bought and what the problem is there is a better chance we can more effectively advise you

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

you'd have to go after the individual unfortunately. Did you pay via some method that allows some protection?
      12-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
papaya_dude
Rep

This was organized by a well known is supposed reputable forum member. I don't want to name names.
But the group buy was paid for through Paypal. It arrived damaged and was picked back up by the carrier (FedEx) for further review. I did pay for shipping insurance as well. After months of spotty updates and texts, the seller has now gone dark and blocked my communication.
Out past communications were always friendly.

With the hundreds, if not thousands, of group buys that have occurred on the forum, I can't image every single one has gone smoothly.

So looking for some help here.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya_dude View Post
This was organized by a well known is supposed reputable forum member. I don't want to name names.
But the group buy was paid for through Paypal. It arrived damaged and was picked back up by the carrier (FedEx) for further review. I did pay for shipping insurance as well. After months of spotty updates and texts, the seller has now gone dark and blocked my communication.
Out past communications were always friendly.

With the hundreds, if not thousands, of group buys that have occurred on the forum, I can't image every single one has gone smoothly.

So looking for some help here.
It's really unfortunate that the organizer ghosted you like that.

Did you happen to pay through F&F or G&S? Can you start the chargeback process?

I've done so many GB's and thankfully all successful, but there have been 1-2x where there was an issue with the product. Thankfully, the relationship I've built with the company made replacements easy going.

Not every GB has ever gone smoothly. There's just no possible way. But what started off as an issue with FedEx has now become a shady seller issue as well.

I personally document every single part of the process to ensure full accountability. In all honesty, once the item is in the carrier's hands (UPS/FedEx/etc...) it's not my responsibility anymore. But being a good human being goes a long way too, so at the very least, I try to come up with a solution with the buyer.
      12-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

You're not doing yourself any favors by not naming the member or giving more details. If the member truly has screwed you then outing them may be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
papaya_dude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
It's really unfortunate that the organizer ghosted you like that.

Did you happen to pay through F&F or G&S? Can you start the chargeback process?

I've done so many GB's and thankfully all successful, but there have been 1-2x where there was an issue with the product. Thankfully, the relationship I've built with the company made replacements easy going.

Not every GB has ever gone smoothly. There's just no possible way. But what started off as an issue with FedEx has now become a shady seller issue as well.

I personally document every single part of the process to ensure full accountability. In all honesty, once the item is in the carrier's hands (UPS/FedEx/etc...) it's not my responsibility anymore. But being a good human being goes a long way too, so at the very least, I try to come up with a solution with the buyer.
Thanks Vuu.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
papaya_dude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
You're not doing yourself any favors by not naming the member or giving more details. If the member truly has screwed you then outing them may be helpful.
I understand your point. There are other forum members on the group buy who are going through the same thing. So to respect their privacy, I won't name anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 07:32 AM   #10
Joey@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW's

What was the group buy for out of interest! If it’s something we sell I’m sure we may be able to assist the matter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #11
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Group buys rarely go perfect but I've had great luck w/ the GB organizer that is no longer on this forum. I can't even type out his website. There were a couple of small hiccups and in both cases (out of about 8 or 9 things I've bought), both the retailer and the GB organizer (the actual individual) were great to deal with. I guess it's important for both the GB organizer and the retailer to be stand up people.

Since it was damaged in delivery, your first recourse is FedEx; see what they say. May take some time of course. Hopefully, there's some level of insurance on the package so they can at least make you whole, money wise. If it was damaged due to poor handling, it's on FedEx. If it was poorly packaged, that's on the retailer. Definitely would inform the Retailer and the GB organizer though, seems like you've done that though. Best bet now is to follow up w/ fedex and/or name names and see if that gets folks motivated to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, the GB organizer has little to do w/ the situation though. Not much they can do unless they've built a solid relationship w/ the retailer...which is why we need to choose our GB's wisely.
      12-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #12
papaya_dude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey@Evolve View Post
What was the group buy for out of interest! If it’s something we sell I’m sure we may be able to assist the matter
It was for a Varis-like carbon undertray and diffuser
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #13
papaya_dude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Group buys rarely go perfect but I've had great luck w/ the GB organizer that is no longer on this forum. I can't even type out his website. There were a couple of small hiccups and in both cases (out of about 8 or 9 things I've bought), both the retailer and the GB organizer (the actual individual) were great to deal with. I guess it's important for both the GB organizer and the retailer to be stand up people.

Since it was damaged in delivery, your first recourse is FedEx; see what they say. May take some time of course. Hopefully, there's some level of insurance on the package so they can at least make you whole, money wise. If it was damaged due to poor handling, it's on FedEx. If it was poorly packaged, that's on the retailer. Definitely would inform the Retailer and the GB organizer though, seems like you've done that though. Best bet now is to follow up w/ fedex and/or name names and see if that gets folks motivated to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, the GB organizer has little to do w/ the situation though. Not much they can do unless they've built a solid relationship w/ the retailer...which is why we need to choose our GB's wisely.
Thanks for the advice and feedback, it's much appriciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 01:44 AM   #14
Joey@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya_dude View Post
It was for a Varis-like carbon undertray and diffuser
Have a look on our site and see if anything takes your fancy!

I’ll see what I can do for you!

www.evolvetuning.us
Appreciate 3
      12-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
papaya_dude
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey@Evolve View Post
Have a look on our site and see if anything takes your fancy!

I’ll see what I can do for you!

www.evolvetuning.us
Checked out the site. Lots of great stuff but nothing for me right now aside from the gorgeous Imola E39 on the from page. I'll take one of those!!!

But thanks again for the offer Joey.
Appreciate 1