BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #45
Ccieszyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2006 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
not affiliated, but here’s a rare listing for the TSB head unit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30463934517...mis&media=COPY

check out that production date!
nrubenstein Thanks again for the tip. I received the radio yesterday. It looks like new old stock to me (if one year can be called old). Came in the original packaging and everything. Was already on the hunt for this part number, and this was an amazing find.

When you say combox is lost, you can leave it in place in the fiber loop, correct? You just lose all functionality associated with it?

I wonder if we could use this thread to compile all the documentation on doing this swap correctly. I know there are a couple of others out there, but I'm not sure if any of them have the whole picture.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #46
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccieszyn View Post
nrubenstein Thanks again for the tip. I received the radio yesterday. It looks like new old stock to me (if one year can be called old). Came in the original packaging and everything. Was already on the hunt for this part number, and this was an amazing find.

When you say combox is lost, you can leave it in place in the fiber loop, correct? You just lose all functionality associated with it?

I wonder if we could use this thread to compile all the documentation on doing this swap correctly. I know there are a couple of others out there, but I'm not sure if any of them have the whole picture.
Short answer: I don't know.

Longer answer: I would not be inclined to have anything in the fiber loop that I didn't want there. It's too easy for modules to get confused, and may cause issues that don't show up immediately.

I'm glad that that the radio showed up and is as described. It's always a little bit of a concern when I share links to other's listings.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #47
euro92
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I’m in the process of doing a single-hump swap on mine right now. MRF Engineering is doing the swap. We’re using a custom full-leather dash from AMX Performance. I’ll have to post up pics when it’s done. IDGAF about re-sell value.
What are your plans for leather wrapping the passenger side airbag cutout on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #48
mrpromax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
I wouldn't do it if are overly concerned with the resale value but in that case, you can always swap it back before you sell.

Waste of time? No, its is so much better and if you are into DIY, its quite an enjoyable project.

Downgrading? That is subjective, I love the way the single hump looks, all business!

Waste of money? No, you can find a single hump dash pretty cheap.

Causing more rattles? No, there really isn't much to it as long as you put everything back the same way you removed it.

My car has Premium audio or whatever with the the center channel speaker so I just needed to find a center grille (they are hump specific) but other than that, there were no issues. There is a documented issue where the M button changes the source on the radio but I feel like with correct coding, we can fix this. Not an issue if you choose to listen to the S65 music!

If you love the look, just go for it, you won't regret it.
DIY ? Yea um not for me. I know for a fact I would break something. Straight up mechanics okay but the delicate stuff... Nope. Not for me. I would do whatever I wanted with my car regardless of resale value. Enjoy you car and if you are hung up on resale you can always bring it back to stock. IMHO.
2011 E93 M3 6 SP, AFE Intake, BimmerWorld Race Exhaust, Alpine Tunes Stage 2 Bavaudio speakers, Matchup 8 Subs, Match UP7 BMW Amp, Kicker Solobaric custom box, Digital Designs Amp. Liqui Moly oils. Painted calipers, carbon fiber trims throughout, blacked out chrome.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #49
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

After changing out a heater core in my 90s Acura cl, fuck dash removals. I will live with my nav. I can’t imagine the hell of removing a dash on a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #50
danvitmon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
After changing out a heater core in my 90s Acura cl, fuck dash removals. I will live with my nav. I can’t imagine the hell of removing a dash on a bmw.
it's actually surprisingly easy, removing a dash at pick n pull took me an hr and I was still careful and didn't break anything. The removal and install of the dash on my car took a total of 2.5hrs. No broken plastic or issues
Appreciate 0