BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #45
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etansinsta View Post
You won’t find them posted on the website but I phoned and was able to acquire a set.

I mentioned they should post them as I knew of nearly 10 people that were looking for a set.
Thanks I shall be giving them a call.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #46
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Thanks I shall be giving them a call.
Keep us posted if you are able to get a set!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #47
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etansinsta View Post
Keep us posted if you are able to get a set!
Will do! Was there someone in particular you spoke to at Carbahn?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #48
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Will do! Was there someone in particular you spoke to at Carbahn?
I believe the invoice had a name on it - Chris, if i recall.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #49
MidnightM3
MidnightM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Called, spoke to Chris and placed an order for a set. They just built (3) S65 motors that their remaining stock went to, but are in the process of creating another run now. The covers are heat treated and well worth the peace of mind. I'm going to replace the flimsy plastic covers and upgrade to these covers during my next maintenance. The plastic covers cracking and getting chewed up recently caused another S65 motor to let go after clogging up the pickup.
      09-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #50
motorhead_02
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM3 View Post
Called, spoke to Chris and placed an order for a set. They just built (3) S65 motors that their remaining stock went to, but are in the process of creating another run now. The covers are heat treated and well worth the peace of mind. I'm going to replace the flimsy plastic covers and upgrade to these covers during my next maintenance. The plastic covers cracking and getting chewed up recently caused another S65 motor to let go after clogging up the pickup.
Quote:

Did the same, ordered set.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #51
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be ordering a set.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #52
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
So I've decided to tackle this one in my garage. I've already started to buy the necessary equipment and parts; also decided this is a great time to replace my disgusting LH valve cover.

Doing plenty of reading up and reviewing the procedures from BMW, and will try my hand at a DIY thread (with this one linked) to try and give back to the forum which continues to help me out anytime I got a question.

Thanks to everyone and their feedback, especially Etansinsta! I'm super grateful I came across this post!
Hej Ajolives, curious how this went? Can't seem to find mentioned DIY.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #53
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
It went horribly to be honest. They're still broke and in the car; just ordered a set of Carbahn washers ready for round II.

Long story short I tried going the cheap route (without knowledge of the washers) and sourced used units with the help of OP. They seemed trustworthy but at the end of the day i couldn't throw them in my car in fear of them being no better than what i already have. The shop would remove the covers to check out the condition of the spring and then reinstall. This made them a tad bit flimsy, (i could rotate the cover on the unit ever so slightly) while my cracked ones seemed tighter believe it or not (weren't rotating much if not at all). The caps have 5 contact points each and all of mine were engaged. I did replace Bank 1's exhaust cover with one of the used units because I accidentally cracked it more by being an idiot.

I buttoned everything back up, replaced Bank 2's valve cover; all the hardware and gaskets too. I'm assuming i dont have to replace everything again seeing its been a short time since. Still have the timing tools which you do in fact need to replace the center bolt while not losing timing, or so I've been told.

My uneducated opinion is that these have been cracked for a long time and i guarantee theres many more out there to be discovered. I didnt know my exhaust cover was broke two weeks after finding out the inlet was broke - it all depends on where the camshafts end up when the ignition is turned off. I would check every time after i drive and would have to start/stop a couple times to get the proper rotation to check the cracks because theyd be at 6 oclock or wherever you couldnt see. And I doubt people are checking their oil caps to look anyways. End of the day, i see this as yet another ticking time bomb for our beloved cars...If theyre cracked its not the end of the world but you are on borrowed time.

Last edited by Ajolives; 09-28-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #54
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

My friend recently bought a used M3. After a month, timing errors appeared. Turns out he was missing the VANOS covers on one whole bank and one of the springs was coming loose. Hopefully this is the warning sign before the spring pops out entirely. He got a used set from Prussian Motors - gears and cover - and its been running fine since.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #55
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

This just happened to a close friend of mine
130k miles on the motor
Turned into almost full race car

Drove to track
Second season oil light came on

Motor was done instantly, timing chain ate the bank one exhaust cap ,plugged the pick up
The rest is history
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      09-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
It went horribly to be honest. They're still broke and in the car; just ordered a set of Carbahn washers ready for round II.

Long story short I tried going the cheap route (without knowledge of the washers) and sourced used units with the help of OP. They seemed trustworthy but at the end of the day i couldn't throw them in my car in fear of them being no better than what i already have. The shop would remove the covers to check out the condition of the spring and then reinstall. This made them a tad bit flimsy, (i could rotate the cover on the unit ever so slightly) while my cracked ones seemed tighter believe it or not (weren't rotating much if not at all). The caps have 5 contact points each and all of mine were engaged. I did replace Bank 1's exhaust cover with one of the used units because I accidentally cracked it more by being an idiot.

I buttoned everything back up, replaced Bank 2's valve cover; all the hardware and gaskets too. I'm assuming i dont have to replace everything again seeing its been a short time since. Still have the timing tools which you do in fact need to replace the center bolt while not losing timing, or so I've been told.

My uneducated opinion is that these have been cracked for a long time and i guarantee theres many more out there to be discovered. I didnt know my exhaust cover was broke two weeks after finding out the inlet was broke - it all depends on where the camshafts end up when the ignition is turned off. I would check every time after i drive and would have to start/stop a couple times to get the proper rotation to check the cracks because theyd be at 6 oclock or wherever you couldnt see. And I doubt people are checking their oil caps to look anyways. End of the day, i see this as yet another ticking time bomb for our beloved cars...If theyre cracked its not the end of the world but you are on borrowed time.
Went out and checked, all as expected looked great. Checked again after arriving to the office just to find....wtf..
Had the car for almost 8 years never checked before so god knows when this occured. Car have had an extremely comfortable life with over the top maintenance, warm up and rarely red line (live down town + old git). Ah well, will continue drive daily and contact a ///M indy to see what they say. Simply can't understand how that light pice of plastic can move!

Edit: And btw looks like to lower cover also have come lose.
Attached Images

Last edited by Helmsman; 09-29-2021 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      09-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #57
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:

Went out and checked, all as expected looked great. Checked again after arriving to the office just to find....wtf..
Had the car for almost 8 years never checked before so god knows when this occured. Car have had an extremely comfortable life with over the top maintenance, warm up and rarely red line (live down town + old git). Ah well, will continue drive daily and contact a ///M indy to see what they say. Simply can't understand how that light pice of plastic can move!

Edit: And btw looks like to lower cover also have come lose.
Wow
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #58
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Looks like issue may be more common than previously thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #59
MAE90M3
Private First Class
Rep

Just checked my 08 with over 125k miles on it, and they both look fine. I will definitely keep an eye on this and look to replace them with a stronger option in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #60
motorhead_02
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

and can you image that Deansbimmer is stating that those loose plastic covers that you experienced yourself holding massive tension spring in place😂🤮🤮
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #61
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead_02 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

and can you image that Deansbimmer is stating that those loose plastic covers that you experienced yourself holding massive tension spring in place😂🤮🤮
Yeah seems legit. My understanding is the spring tension is not against the cover but against the pins. The cover is there to keep it from walking off the pins toward the front of the car due to rotational force, not force from the spring.
Appreciate 3
      09-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #62
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead_02 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

He is correct. Ask me how I know.
      09-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #63
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Checked this morning prior leaving for office, lower cap made me nervous enough to instead catch the tube.
Started to check around with the local shops. New Vanos are around 800 Euros over here (know I need two + will check other side as well). One shop was eager to investigate aftermarket alternative.
Some shops have never seen the issue before while a couple immediately confirmed "this happen".

Main dealer hasn't come back yet but will be interesting to get their thoughts. The quality of this piece of plastic design reminds of the TA's gear, clearly not good enought and should have been adressed by BMW IMHO.

Ps. One wonder how this light cap can rotate with the torque required. The s65 obviously have extremely fast throttle response, may that be the reason..? I certainly run the DCT with proper blip and I don't mind revving a tad now and then. Makes me wonder...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #64
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

To correct this issue, one needs to replace entire Vanos?? Isn't it just remove the gear, remove the plastic cover and put on the metal cover made by Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #65
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
To correct this issue, one needs to replace entire Vanos?? Isn't it just remove the gear, remove the plastic cover and put on the metal cover made by Dinan?
Not sure about "just" but in theory yes. Lets see what mentioned shop will find out...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #66
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Checked this morning prior leaving for office, lower cap made me nervous enough to instead catch the tube.
Started to check around with the local shops. New Vanos are around 800 Euros over here (know I need two + will check other side as well). One shop was eager to investigate aftermarket alternative.
Some shops have never seen the issue before while a couple immediately confirmed "this happen".

Main dealer hasn't come back yet but will be interesting to get their thoughts. The quality of this piece of plastic design reminds of the TA's gear, clearly not good enought and should have been adressed by BMW IMHO.

Ps. One wonder how this light cap can rotate with the torque required. The s65 obviously have extremely fast throttle response, may that be the reason..? I certainly run the DCT with proper blip and I don't mind revving a tad now and then. Makes me wonder...
I thought the same as well, I imagine weight savings was the driver. I also was a bit sketched out replacing lightweight plastic with metal covers. Wouldn't that increase strain on the timing gear assemblies rotating the extra mass?

Edit: The only saving grace is that DINAN uses these on every engine they build because they claim these covers always crack. They know much, much, much more than I.
Appreciate 0