BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #67
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
the S55 has this in the mid to high rpm range. Personally I think it sounds awful. I tried so much to change the exhaust of my S54 but it was hopeless. A nice carbon box and the sound of the induction was glorious.

For me, I always thought the S55 sounded so close to S54 but with more muffling and resonances due to the turbos and exhaust limitations under the car that I skipped ever looking into F8X M's.
Hmm, I think the S54 is a symphony of mechanical glory. It is guttural in the right ways, has a nice induction sound and is responsive as hell. It gives me wood to think about what it could sound like with cams and about 500 more RPM (~8500 redline). With lighter/stronger rods and lighter pistons, this is doable Well, and proper bearings, and a better oil pump... Details...

On the other hand, the N55 and S55 both seem to sound like a slightly muffled box of rocks being tumbled in an industrial dryer. I honestly do not know what BMW did to make them sound so abrasive to my delicate ears. Perhaps with the right pipes, they sound better. But, I have never heard one that makes me turn my head and smile. In contrast, every V8 M3 or V10 M5/M6 I hear makes me look and smile. But so does every V10 R8... Go figure.

And I just think there is something special about an engine running at 7500RPM+. FI cars do not need to rev to make power, and typically it is better to not run them to red line as their wee turbos far too often run out of lungs. On the other hand, NA engines need to spin baby spin!!

Personal preference for sure. And to each their own. I am happy with my gas guzzling, noise making, hair raising V8 M3 and would not trade it for anything else with a BMW badge. And before it gets mentioned, I would trade my M3, my left nut and most of my fingers for the BMW S70/2 V12... But that had a McLaren badge on the car.

Cheers,
The n55 does not sound like rocks in a dryer, just the s55.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #68
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Stripper AW/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Agreed. The N55 sounds great in the M2. No S55 sounds good to me and I've driven every version including the M4 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #69
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I own an e92---zcp and nothing else. IMO, it's the ideal version of the car, almost like a lightweight version, ala e36. So I really like my car. I have driven the M2, M2C, and M3/4. The newer cars are all really nice, no doubt. The cars I've driven on the track have been really impressive. Personally though, none of them are so much better than what I have that I'm compelled to "move up". If I never owned my e92, I'd probably be sold on the newer M cars though.

To me the question of what's next is simple, in theory. Do I feel compelled to get out of my current car and into something new? In the past, I've found several cars that were way better in some way than what I currently had and made it easy to switch. The e92 M is nice enough where the decision of "what's next" isn't an easy one. The current M cars just aren't compelling enough for me. They don't improve upon the actual driving engagement of the older cars. They have an odd mixture of refinement and rawness.

Unlike several other people in here, I do prefer a NA engine. Turbos are ok, particularly if they're someone elses car. They're easy to get a few extra HP from, which to me is their primary benefit. I'd much rather move into a corvette or older Porsche for those reasons. I like to think moving into a C7 corvette would be an upward move, but I've never driven one. I think I may see if I can rent a C7 GS on Turo and spend a day with it to see if I like it enough to part with the M3.

Here's the bottom line problem I have with the e92 M3. It's not the best at anything. There are cars that are subjectively and/or objectively better than our cars in multiple areas. But they aren't better enough in the areas that matter to me to change. I've owned my M3 longer than I expected because I like driving it and it's been a good overall ownership experience. What's next is a real challenge for me. I don't have the money to get into even a fairly recent GT-series porsche, so that limits what would probably be my next go-to car.
Appreciate 3
neilum896.50
scrammer421.50
      12-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Agreed. The N55 sounds great in the M2. No S55 sounds good to me and I've driven every version including the M4 GTS.
I would love to do euro delivery on an m2c, but now that I have an upgraded intercooler and a tune on the n55 m2 I'm not sure I'd really like the m2c better. I would miss the n55 sound for sure. If I had sport cat down pipe it would be perfect, but I'm not sure I want the legal headache or to throw more money at something I might replace/sell.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #71
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

So I have the slow, heavy, poor handling, topless sibling E93 whose only redeeming feature is to allow fuller enjoyment of the induction and exhaust.

During my 2 day M-School this summer I got to drive (hard) the M2C, M3, M4 and M5 on an autocross size track and a full size track. They were all super fun, for me the highlights were the M4 on the main track and the M2C on the tighter one, but not one of them made me want to trade in my E93. 6 months later with a bunch more "spirited" road driving added in, I still feel the same way.

All of these cars are very capable road and track toys but I dont know if any of them can improve on my vert's ability to make my day better every time I drive it.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      12-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #72
RLM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Is sound the primary reason the majority of owners bought an e90/92 m3?

I agree they sound sweet with an aftermarket exhaust system! However, after a few test drives they are little heavy and tail happy. Albeit I am not an expert driver.

I am also considering 987.2 cayman s as a possible option and the handling seemed much more composed. The exhaust noise was nice, but not semi exotic like the s65. I have not driven an m2, but assumed it handles better than the m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #73
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

The new cars have their pros but they just miss that hair raising X factor. I don’t need HUD or turbo power or better mileage given my use of the car as a weekend toy. So I’ve long felt that the only car I’d swap my E9x for would be a 911 of some sort, likely a 997.1 GT3. But I can’t afford one and equally important I can’t justify it as a 2 seater in my life right now with a young child... Sooo I think I’ll have this E90 for a long while. Let the mods and obsessive maintenance continue!

Last edited by wyatth; 12-19-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #74
RLM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
The new cars have their pros but they just miss that hair raising X factor. I don’t need HUD or turbo power or better mileage given my use of the car as a weekend toy. So I’ve long felt that the only car I’d swap my E9x for would be a 911 of some sort, likely a 997.1 GT3. But I can’t afford one and equally important I can’t justify it as a 2 seater in my life right now with a young child... Sooo I think I’ll have this E90 for a long while, absent some lifestyle change. Let the mods continue!
The 997 gt3 is my favorite sports car!

They are very visceral and may not be a musical instrument, but sound 10x angrier than e90/92 m3. The ones I’ve driven had a simple center muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #75
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

What ever we start a vs thread against we end up vs 911. Guess it will have to be one of those eventually.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #76
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

It’s the only/logical upgrade for most of us.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #77
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I own an e92---zcp and nothing else. IMO, it's the ideal version of the car, almost like a lightweight version, ala e36. So I really like my car. I have driven the M2, M2C, and M3/4. The newer cars are all really nice, no doubt. The cars I've driven on the track have been really impressive. Personally though, none of them are so much better than what I have that I'm compelled to "move up". If I never owned my e92, I'd probably be sold on the newer M cars though.

To me the question of what's next is simple, in theory. Do I feel compelled to get out of my current car and into something new? In the past, I've found several cars that were way better in some way than what I currently had and made it easy to switch. The e92 M is nice enough where the decision of "what's next" isn't an easy one. The current M cars just aren't compelling enough for me. They don't improve upon the actual driving engagement of the older cars. They have an odd mixture of refinement and rawness.

Unlike several other people in here, I do prefer a NA engine. Turbos are ok, particularly if they're someone elses car. They're easy to get a few extra HP from, which to me is their primary benefit. I'd much rather move into a corvette or older Porsche for those reasons. I like to think moving into a C7 corvette would be an upward move, but I've never driven one. I think I may see if I can rent a C7 GS on Turo and spend a day with it to see if I like it enough to part with the M3.

Here's the bottom line problem I have with the e92 M3. It's not the best at anything. There are cars that are subjectively and/or objectively better than our cars in multiple areas. But they aren't better enough in the areas that matter to me to change. I've owned my M3 longer than I expected because I like driving it and it's been a good overall ownership experience. What's next is a real challenge for me. I don't have the money to get into even a fairly recent GT-series porsche, so that limits what would probably be my next go-to car.
Your last statement is why I have thoughts about parting with my E90M and then I sit down and think, I dont know what would honestly fill all of those check boxes my E90M does.

I too used to think the GT cars is what would replace my M3 and after many track days and weekends with various GT cars, I made the natural progression to the Carrera. If you want NA there is plenty of deals on 991.1 cars and they have similar or better tech inside for daily comfort, and if you want a more modern but turbo engine the base/T is in my opinion the best of all the 911's models, even over the GT cars for a street car! It really is such a gem, feels like its NA, loved to ve revved (granted its no 9k RPM's) but I'd put money if someone didnt know what they were in they would not be able to tell it had two turbos attached to either side. The 911 chasis is already great but a 911 CT with rear wheel steer is just something magical, and brand new M2/3/4 money in the lightly used market.
      12-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #78
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
It’s the only/logical upgrade for most of us.
Yup. I’ve often said the only thing I would sell my 987.2 and ZCP M3 for would be something that has the sublime chassis of the Cayman and the Motorsport engine of the M3. Closest thing to that is really a GT3. Seriously thinking of selling both and getting either a 997.1 GT3 or maybe a GT4.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #79
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Update

Sold my M2 and got myself another M3, e92 this time. Very happy with my decision even though I know I overpaid a bit for the M3. Feels so much better being behind the wheel of a naturally aspirated V8 again.
Appreciate 4
      08-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #80
bhowelett
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 MR E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonM3 View Post
Sold my M2 and got myself another M3, e92 this time. Very happy with my decision even though I know I overpaid a bit for the M3. Feels so much better being behind the wheel of a naturally aspirated V8 again.
Awesome! Welcome back!

Let's see some pics and some specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #81
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhowelett View Post
Awesome! Welcome back!

Thanks! I can't figure out how to rotate the pics. Not sure what I am doing wrong but here it is. 2009, Manual with 62k miles almost a stripper. Only options are EDC, Rear bumper sensors and heated seats.

Future plans: ZCP wheels and Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers. Plan on coding out EDC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #82
bhowelett
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 MR E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I can't figure out how to rotate the pics. Not sure what I am doing wrong but here it is. 2009, Manual with 62k miles almost a stripper. Only options are EDC, Rear bumper sensors and heated seats.

Nice looking car; though I do agree ZCPs would look better.

Enjoy the return to an e92!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #83
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice looking car; though I do agree ZCPs would look better.

Enjoy the return to an e92!!
Thanks! Happy to be back
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #84
iamtrashman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW Stripper M3

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! Welcome back!

Nice! I have an 09 stripper as well. Looks excellent. I think these cars are aging quite gracefully.
Appreciate 1
AdonM3121.00
      09-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #85
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The GT3 can't be driven fast, which is why I crush all the fools who bought one thinking they'd now be able to keep up with a grocery getter.

Stop comparing cars with excel sheets. Start spending some time at the track instead of excel-racing cars.
Old post but come to Laguna Seca when you need some humbling . The Porsche guys in California are the fastest, only being edged out by track cars and occasionally Senna/720.

I have a friend with a 964 that would give you a run for your money. Porsche is king out here on the west coast.

Not taking away from your grocery getter just have a completely different experience as someone with similar time at a racetrack.